Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We can't control the first scenario. As you have been told countless times he would be risking injury even if he was with Bayern. In fact, he is probably more at risk in a friendly vs. inferior opponents than a continental competition. 

He will not be tired. He's 20 years old. If he needs a rest Bayern will give him one. You're acting like WCQ start 2 days after this tournament.

Roughly 20 days and 2 matches between 2-8 of September 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

And I love the "if we win what does it change?"... uhhh? Because winning trophies doesn't matter?

We would be one of 3 continental champions in 2021 along with England/Italy and Brazil/Argentina. That will open more than a few eyes.

Did it change anything when we won in 2000 and we didn’t qualify for World Cup ? Maybe great for those players at the time. 

27 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

The difference between us and Mexico and Euros and the big teams of Copa America is Depth. Yes our Depth is better but it’s not at the level of Mexico or big European or South American teams. We can’t replace Fonzie if he does down or is tired. We don’t have a player that even close to his level. 

mexico is under a lot of pressure to win something. If they won nations league we wouldn’t be seeing a strong team like they have at Gold Cup. They truly believe they’re Way ahead of the competition in WCQ so they can take a risk. 

I totally understand the arguments that we need to win,  winning is important. I am all about winning. But it’s a huge risk bring in super star player, when they have already played a full club season plus tons of games for nations league and WQC. Do you know how much money The CSA will get if we qualify for the World Cup and if we got out the our group in the World Cup and what that would do for our program ? 

so I ask you all what’s bigger and more important? Going to a World Cup and being seen globally, changing the view of Canadian football and the money that will bank roll our program for years to come. Or playing Haiti or a B/C US team  in a gold cup that if we win what does it change oh hey we got a trophy. 

It's also a huge risk going in to the WCQ having played far less games than everyone else and without really having faced that level of competition. These upcoming WCQ are the most important Canada games in decades and this particular group hasn't even played octogonal-level competition yet. Obviously the risk analysis has been done and it has been decided that's more important to get more games together than it is to "protect players". Your point is not lost on anyone, and hasn't been since before the squads were even released. Herdman and co have decided that outside of a handful players, it's best to bring everyone in and play some very difficult games together to have some more competitive experience before qualifying. I mean would you be comfortable going into qualifying with the only "real" test the team has faced being two legs against Haiti? That seems like pretty questionable preparations and certainly not the level of competition that would be proper preparation for the teams that we'll be facing in qualifying.

Also your last sentence is pretty cherry picked to try and make your point. We'll also be playing Costa Rica/Jamaica and hopefully Honduras/Qatar or even Mexico in a knockout-style tournament. If you're going to try and make an argument at least look at the full picture instead of just the parts that support your narrative. You're saying it's not worth playing Haiti, and yet you're saying you want to go into the most important series of games for this country in decades, with the only preparation being having played Haiti...

Edited by frmr

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I gotta say, I am a bit nervous of playing Davies vs Haiti

I had one of those anticipatory nightmare fantasy where he was stupidly injured in the GC and missed part of WCQ, so I am just going to say "I told you so" before it happens.

The chances of it happening, with him or any of our other key players, is decent enough. I wish everyone would stop with this lame reasoning about how you can get injured training, which of course is true, true like the way pigs fly if you stick wings on them and toss them off cliffs. A rival in a competitive match presents a much higher risk than a teammate in a loose scrimmage. And then the stress of these matches, then a short preseason and right into Bundesliga, then WCQ, then Champions the same month. It's a shit show and we are going to pay for it.

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Scott Kennedy playing a friendly today or is this a mistake?

Maybe he hasnt joined Canada yet and will do so after that friendly. We saw that Akinola played recently too when others were out. Possibly the start is to go to Miller on Sunday and his club wanted to see him in at least 1 friendly before he takes off.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Did it change anything when we won in 2000 and we didn’t qualify for World Cup ? Maybe great for those players at the time. 

The world also didn’t change when we made our one and only appearance at the WC.  Soccer didn’t displace hockey as Canada’s sport and we didn’t erect statues of Ian Bridge and Terry Moore in parks across the country.  

Winning a major tournament (and yes, the GC is a major tournament in a CONCACAF context) is a goal that strands alone.  It is not simply a means to an end. Our GC win was an absolutely beautiful moment that everyone here who was a fan at the time will remember forever.   It was the best I ever felt as a CMNT fan.  Dismissing that as some sort of inconvenience is not only disrespectful to our confederation championship, it lacks insight into what we are supporting.

If the only metric for joy is success at the WC, you may be in for a long line of disappointments.  

I was ok with us going with a younger squad at the Gold Cup and leaving some of the established players with their clubs, I think we have enough young talent to be competitive and was looking forward to seeing that! I do think that the way JH is approaching this is good, as others have said we haven't played enough tough competitive matches recently so this is a good opportunity and I am pleased a good portion of our first choices are available! In the interview with JH he has a course plotted to the final which may be optimistic but it is great to have the bar raised a bit!

Wait isnt MrK the guy always harping about CSA sucks because we never play, we need more games against high profile teams, why dont we play Brazil and France etc ad nauseum??  But its stupid to get most of the national team together for a camp, a game against the USA and if we advance prob a game against Cosa rica or Jamaica and maybe Mexico in semis etc etc??  

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I for one am definitely more pumped about the Gold Cup than Euros and the Copa America.

In years past I would treat the Euros like the World Cup and watch every minute of every game without fail, and I would plan my day around it. Now I couldn't be fussed if I miss a game. Actually, I have missed more than I have seen, and I can probably count on 1 hand how many games I have watched from beginning to end. Usually it's 30 minutes here, 20 minutes there, but then something more important comes up that grabs my attention. After all, there is no dog in the fight for me.

Gold Cup will be completely different. I am going to watch every Canada game religiously, and I will be hard pressed to miss any of the other matches, especially the ones in our group. 

So needless to say, I absolutely support us bringing a strong team so we can win this thing. I am not mad at players like David, Hutchinson and Arfield for staying out to club prep, it's fine. The core of the team is there and it gives others a chance to step up. It's all good!

Mostly due to work, I hardly watched much of the EUROs either this time around. Even the games I recorded to view after, I found myself pressing fast forward through much of it. 

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

It brought about a lot of publicity and media exposure. EURO 2000 definitely helped as it was the perfect lead in to the Gold Cup that year so everyone was in a soccer frenzy mood already from quite possibly the greatest tournament the sport has ever known. Anyhow, as a kid, that was my first exposure into Canadian soccer and everybody at school was talking about it. Winning the Gold Cup that year planted the perfect seeds for people to gain interest. It's just that those seeds didn't harvest after we crashed out from that poor qualifying performance. I still shudder at the 4-0 loss to T and T.

My overall opinion on if bringing in a strong squad is going to hurt us or not? Honestly, I think UT is doing his best to act like Chicken Little, and no, the sky isn't falling. Yes, pre-season involves fitness routines to help players last a season but a top club like Bayern Munich for example would have plans tailored for each individual, and they would take into consideration recent competitions said player has engaged in. 

Edited by Macksam

47 minutes ago, Macksam said:

It brought about a lot of publicity and media exposure. EURO 2000 definitely helped as it was the perfect lead in to the Gold Cup that year so everyone was in a soccer frenzy already from quite possibly the greatest tournament the sport has ever known. 

The 2000 Gold Cup was in February.  How were the 2000 Euros later in June a lead in to it?  I'm not sure what you mean here.

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I had one of those anticipatory nightmare fantasy where he was stupidly injured in the GC and missed part of WCQ, so I am just going to say "I told you so" before it happens.

The chances of it happening, with him or any of our other key players, is decent enough. I wish everyone would stop with this lame reasoning about how you can get injured training, which of course is true, true like the way pigs fly if you stick wings on them and toss them off cliffs. A rival in a competitive match presents a much higher risk than a teammate in a loose scrimmage. And then the stress of these matches, then a short preseason and right into Bundesliga, then WCQ, then Champions the same month. It's a shit show and we are going to pay for it.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/alphonso-davies-to-miss-concacaf-gold-cup/?fbclid=IwAR3tczYbt5uZpOD2hN_C-DKXaZv8UhaK_J7RZYS1OUMuHBYl79aR0lqmcv8