Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Just now, BearcatSA said:

"Red, red wine....stay close to me....don't make me watch the Caps....it's tearing apart....my white and blue heart!"

I should put that on the Caps thread.

Oh THOSE guys.....didn't know that's who sang that song. haha that's pretty funny. 

On 7/3/2021 at 12:13 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

In case anyone doubted that Qatar bought their way in

Be that as it may, they've got a decent squad, the core of which has been developed together since very young ages. AlMoez Ali, Akram Afif, Bassem Al-Rawi all are children of long-time Qatari expats who were spotted at young ages. Though they have still have a small number of naturalized players from their domestic league, their fortunes have improved since theyve focused on developing players with established roots in the country.

I suspect they will advance from their group, and wouldn't be surprised if they win it. 

2 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Be that as it may, they've got a decent squad, the core of which has been developed together since very young ages. AlMoez Ali

I was really impressed with this guy when I watched the 2019 Asian Cup.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Oh THOSE guys.....didn't know that's who sang that song. haha that's pretty funny. 

It's a great Neil Diamond song originally.  If the Caps do play again in BC Place without restrictions but mired in last place, the supporters should sing "Sweet Caroline" with relevantly modified lyrics that should include, "So f**ked, so f**ked, so f**ked!"

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I was really impressed with this guy when I watched the 2019 Asian Cup.

He's a solid striker. Him and Afif are among their most talented attackers, and both spent some time in Europe early in their development, mostly in the clubs their football academy owns.

They're probably both good enough to play in Europe permanently, at this stage of their careers. But problem with Gulf football always is that best players receive compensation on par with top clubs in the world, in the comfort of their own homes, around family etc. Very little incentive to force a move abroad with better competition.

In my time living in that region, I've come to follow their football, and theyve produced some talents over the years but theyll always reach a developmental block that calls for a move abroad. Only player thats gone in their prime was Oman's Ali Al-Habsi, who had some good years in England.

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

lol as if people are just chanting that at a local park. 

Was it a chant or was someone about to light up that kid with a flame thrower? Perhaps next was the kid doing a slo mo Platoon fall to his knees, death scene 

Might as well hand the keys over to China now if this is how we're going react to our kids hearing a word

If 2 people showed up at the park to call my kid a Puto, instead of doing a diving ear muffs on the kid, wouldn't I just go over and beat the shit out of them?

In Vancouver its actually more likely to have two guys doing heroin behind the kids goal with their ass hanging out but I guess that's cool 

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

They actually call them UB40s. 

Yea I know this, but I won’t call them that…think that’s stupid considering half that group was a bunch of white guys with no ties to the country. 

15 hours ago, An Observer said:

The difference with the French territories and the British, Dutch and US ones is that they are treated by the French as being part of the France mainland with exactly the same rights and privileges as if it was part of the mainland (like Brittany or Normandy for example).  And any resident has the same rights as well as if they were living on the mainland (including within the EU).  That is not the case with the British, Dutch and US territories.  They have a different status and therefore different rights and privileges than the parent. For example, Puerto Rico is not a state although they do send someone to congress but that person can't vote.  The UK overseas territories don't have representatives in the UK parliament.

In other words, for FIFA, it would be like recognizing PEI as a separate football team to Canada's.  I doubt it will change for the French territories unless they change their legal and political status with France through either some separate form autonomy to a department like a British overseas territory or complete independence.  And that is why New Caledonia is different as its not a overseas department but an overseas territory like the UK ones.

All that being said, I would love for French Guiana, Guadeloupe, or Martinique to gain independence or change their status and thereby be permitted to join FIFA proper.  It would improve Concacaf like has happened recently with Curacao and Suriname.

Thank you.   This sounds very much in line with what i had observed and what i recently ended reading when I started looking after it was alledged  here that the relationship  between Bermuda and Great Britain was the same as th French carribean islands and France. 

Posted (edited)

If one of our star players get hurt because of this stupid, useless tournament all because Herdman got embarrassed last gold cup and the selfish pride of a trophy. There is a reason why the USA and Mexico are NOT taking there A squads. Mark my words. You all think Haïti is gonna play nice and with a CONCACAF ref?? I’m sorry this is so stupid. 

Edited by SpecialK

24 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If one of our star players get hurt because of this stupid, useless tournament all because Herdman got embarrassed last gold cup and the selfish pride of a trophy. There is a reason why the USA and Mexico are NOT taking there A squads.

Mexico is calling an A Squad besides Ochoa and Guardado

58 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If one of our star players get hurt because of this stupid, useless tournament all because Herdman got embarrassed last gold cup and the selfish pride of a trophy. There is a reason why the USA and Mexico are NOT taking there A squads. Mark my words. You all thing Haïti is gonna play nice and with a CONCACAF ref?? I’m sorry this is so stupid. 

You play football to win trophies. 

A grand total of 8 countries have won the World Cup, we probably are not going to be the 9th or 10th.  Let's win this Cup. Winning breeds winning if nothing else. 

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

If one of our star players get hurt because of this stupid, useless tournament all because Herdman got embarrassed last gold cup and the selfish pride of a trophy. There is a reason why the USA and Mexico are NOT taking there A squads. Mark my words. You all thing Haïti is gonna play nice and with a CONCACAF ref?? I’m sorry this is so stupid. 

Aren’t you one of the posters who criticises the CSA for not playing enough matches?

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You play football to win trophies. 

A grand total of 8 countries have won the World Cup, we probably are not going to be the 9th or 10th.  Let's win this Cup. Winning breeds winning if nothing else. 

I’m all for winning Trophies but during a WCQ year, qualifying for the World Cup is more important. Priorities are important. Look at 2000, they won but didn’t Qualify. Going to a World Cup is bigger than a Gold Cup win. 

Just now, SpecialK said:

I’m all for winning Trophies but during a WCQ year, qualifying for the World Cup is more important. Priorities are important. Look at 2000, they won but didn’t Qualify. Going to a World Cup is bigger than a Gold Cup win. 

Agree to disagree I guess.   It is like having a chance to win the FA Cup but get relegated, would always choose to win something. 

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Aren’t you one of the posters who criticises the CSA for not playing enough matches?

Yes we don’t play enough matches. But really does Davies need to be there ? I’m so happy he’s there and choosing to play for Canada, I love it. But as a manager you gonna have your priorities in line and the WCQ is more important. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Yes we don’t play enough matches. But really does Davies need to be there ? I’m so happy he’s there and choosing to play for Canada, I love it. But as a manager you gonna have your priorities in line and the WCQ is more important. 

I wouldn't have named Davies to this squad either especially since he should be with Bayern right now for pre season trials 

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Out of all your childish reasons to hate on Herdman, "he's trying too hard to win our continental championship" is probably the most idiotic.

For what it’s worth “tactical manager” on YouTube picked us to win the group with the US finishing second. US gets eliminated in the quarter finals and we lose to Mexico in the final after beating Suriname and Curaçao.