Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

50 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Ummmmm no David is not as good as it gets as a target striker because that is not a role he plays... Also, what do you mean especially Cavallini? The guy is easily our best target man, he's scored against Mexico, the US, Haiti. Not to mention he's had a pretty good club career so far. Automatic starter in my opinion.

But at the same time though David if he was playing striker for the CanMNT he would probably score more goals than Cavallini but that is neither here nor there. But I mean Cavallini should he be starting? Yeah okay sure but he probably won't though

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

But at the same time though David if he was playing striker for the CanMNT he would probably score more goals than Cavallini but that is neither here nor there. But I mean Cavallini should he be starting? Yeah okay sure but he probably won't though

You do realize that David at CAM would compliment Cavallini perfectly at ST right?

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Just to be clear...you have no idea what you think?

• 2 months later...

So from that article about T&T posted by @CanadianSoccerFan ,

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/08/27/fifa-issues-deadline-warning-trinidad-wallace-issues-threats/

Gold Cup 2021 draw for September?

1)The Gold Cup has never had a draw only a "draw"(an allocation of groups announcement)

2) The qualification draw was already made (although the qualifiers were delayed)

So WTF is this about?

12 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Qatar will play in the next two Gold cups

make it rain money GIF

I like it. Another competitive team. Will be interesting to see how they do. I watched a lot of them during their Asian Cup win in 2019.

A semi-final finish for them would probably be a successful tournament, with quarter finals a little disappointing and making the finals arguably an over performance. I would put our expectations around the same. 

Another thing I want to say is that one negative to the Gold Cup is that teams 1-12 are more or less competitive, but 13-16 are relatively weak. They really bring down the quality of the tournament. 

But with news of Qatar getting invited, along with the prospects of a decent Suriname (Curacao 2.0?), not to mention a tiny Bermuda who is on the rise, the Gold Cup suddenly looks decent in terms of competition. Throw in a Martinique or Guadeloupe, who have surprised on occasion, and we have ourselves a tournament. 

I hope Cuba in particular can be pushed down far enough where they are not qualifying anymore. Their guaranteed defections make a mockery of the things. 

Edited by Obinna

Qatar is playing in the Copa America AND the Gold Cup back to back in June and July.  At this rate we'll see them in AFCON 2021.

I'm curious to know how much Qatar is paying CONCACAF.  CONMEBOL got a massive sponsorship deal from Qatar Airways in spite of having barely any flights to South America. Expect to see a similar deal with CONCACAF

Teams crossing over for the knockout round? LOVE IT!

A draw? LOVE IT!

Qatar participating? I don’t like it for a number of reasons.

First,I am just not fond of guest nations in a confederation championship. If Qatar wins, are they the CONCACAF champions? It doesn’t sit right.

Second, it seems like CONCACAF is getting deeper. It might just be drawn to our attention with Nations League, but I would say 11 of the 12 teams (sorry Grenada) that have already qualified are at least decent (if Suriname does end up being a decent team), if not very good. In the group of teams still trying to qualify there are another 4 or 6 decent teams as well (Haiti, Bermuda, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, T&T). So CONCACAF seems to have a deep enough group of teams to run this tournament without guest nations.

Third, I’m sorry, but the cloud of how Qatar got the World Cup and how the last 3 CONCACAF presidents ended their reign by going to jail, it makes me worry about this transaction. If there is money coming from Qatar that is above board and going to the greater good of CONCACAF in a fair manner, then that’s fine. But if there is dirty money going to decision makers or select nations to get their vote, that is obviously the worst case scenario. And due to the history of both Qatar and CONCACAF, there will always be a cloud of doubt for some, like myself.

Fourth, I wonder how the teams still trying to qualify like the Qatar news. Before this announcement wasn’t the plan that they were going for 1 of 4 spots and now it is reduced to 3?

Overall though, if I have to accept Qatar for 2 tournaments to get a draw and a non-corrupt knockout round setup, I’ll take it. Next up for them to correct is the hosting situation. Dream scenario would be for hosting rights to be shared around, but at the very least try to reduce the travel between games. Don’t have a group start on the east coast and then end up on the west coast... unless the tournament is in Costa Rica :)

Edited by Kent

4 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Qatar is playing in the Copa America AND the Gold Cup back to back in June and July.  At this rate we'll see them in AFCON 2021.

I'm curious to know how much Qatar is paying CONCACAF.  CONMEBOL got a massive sponsorship deal from Qatar Airways in spite of having barely any flights to South America. Expect to see a similar deal with CONCACAF

Qatar has signed parternship deals with other airlines, so their clients can make the connections. I flew to Las Palmas in the Canary Islands a couple days ago and the Vueling flight, (Vueling is an Iberia affiliate) was also listed as Qatar airlines. 

Yesterday I was in the birthplace of David Silva and Juan Carlos Valerón, a little coastal town with a massive volcanic agricultural ravine above, place called Arguineguin.