Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

49 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Something I would really like to see this Gold Cup is Millar and Corbeanu get a consistent run out against strong opposition 

Both those guys haven’t got their chance to show what they can do. I want to see new guys like Elva, Jebbison, Flores, Akinola, Pasher, or Shaffelbrug to see what they can do against international competition.

Millar needs to solidify his club situation first, so he can have some stability/familiarity to bring forth consistent results. 

On 6/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, VinceA said:

Curacao's provisional list looks wild: Tahith Chong, Bazoer, Obispo among the names on it.

I wonder if the list changes now that they missed the Ocho, Curacao were very very close. 

As everyone else has mentioned this is an incredibly difficult team to predict. Came up with 33 guys and then had to try and cut that down.

Goalie: Crepeau, St. Clair, Pantemis. Pretty easy selection actually. 

Defence: Cornelius, Miller, Kennedy, Laryea, ZBG, Guitierrez, Johnston. Tough to ask Henry to travel back again to potentially miss quite a few club matches. Vitoria could use a rest, but he could be on as well. Adekugbe should try to get going with his new team and be there in the fall. On the fence between who should be there between Kennedy, Waterman, and Singh, depends on club situation. Johnston being able to play CB is a huge bonus.

Midfield: Hutchinson, Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Okello, Elva, Wotherspoon. Hopefully Hutch can come play. Doubt we will see Arfield, but good to see him on the list, hopefully back in the fall. Osorio, Kaye, and Piette are MLS standouts. Teibert is a surprise cut. Eustaquio may have a move in the works, so should focus on that. Went with 1 of Okello, Baldisimo, and Priso; as well as 1 of Elva and Paton. Think Elva and Okello are a good combination of potential future impact player and can also contribute now. 

Forward: Hoilett, David, Davies, Buchanan, Akinola, Jebbison or Flores.This is ridiculously hard. If David and Davies want to play then go for it. Both are settled in their clubs and are early 20s. They don't need to start every game, but keep them with the first team. Left Larin off for the same reason as Eustaquio, potential big move so focus on his club. Want Akindele and Cavallini, they could be there over Akinola and Jebbison (which they probably should) but I want to add a couple new, young guys. Millar and Corbeanu were left off to focus on club football. Hopefully they both end up in the Championship and can be impact players for us this fall. Either Flores or Jebbison. Can't fit both.

Edited by Stryker911

24 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Perhaps actually being named to a squad, rather than just a promise.

He couldn't be named to any previous squad because he hadn't filed his switch and therefore wasn't eligible.

The only difference here is that you don't actually need to be eligible to be in the 60-man squad, you just need to be Canadian.

Eligible players only will make the final 23 man squad.

So just like before, as we have seen in previous windows, he will be in the 23-man squad only if he is finally eligible and has filed his switch. Since that is the case, the whole "cap-tie him" point is moot because he will already be tied to Canada from his switch.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just a reminder that the final 23 man squad for all squads (preliminary competition and main competition) is due June 30th.

That is also the day that players are released by their clubs ( the release day is June 30th for those in the preliminary rounds )

You are also allowed to make changes up until 24 hours before your first match. In case of injuries. 

59 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was looking at Bundesliga 2, it begins July 21st. So I don't see how you are going to get Kennedy and Elva to miss an entire preseason. They are resting now, but probably back into their respective club camps by next week. 

Have to add, the German Cup starts first week of August; B1 starts the second week. 

15 hours ago, narduch said:

You are also allowed to make changes up until 24 hours before your first match. In case of injuries. 

Haven’t read this years regs, but in the past weren’t you also allowed to swap players out between the group stage and the knockout stage?  That was part of the reason for the long list. Swapped out players could only come from the long list. 

Just now, shorty said:

Haven’t read this years regs, but in the past weren’t you also allowed to swap players out between the group stage and the knockout stage?  That was part of the reason for the long list. Swapped out players could only come from the long list. 

I haven't seen that for this year. 

39 minutes ago, narduch said:

Perhaps they got rid of that due to the pandemic 

It’ll be interesting to see if they reinstate the rule in the future, or if we end up with a policy relic (long list, short list) that no longer serves a purpose other than to whip up the fan boards, lol. 

Edit: I know you could still use the long list to pull from up until tournament start, but surely 37 extra bodies would be overkill in that case. 

Edited by shorty

14 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Im sure guys like Davies , David, Larin, will not be present for this Gold Cup they should at there individual team preseson camps plus I would rather see them for World Cup qualifying instead

These players are sure to be on WCQ team so I would prefer to cap-tie our duels with their and other sure picks spots. Of course in a perfect world we would have our A team plus cap-tie everyone.😎