Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Does he though? He has some flair but has virtually no professional experience and his Canada appearances have been against essentially semi-pro teams.

That's all the more reason to have given him minutes to see how he performs.  We could run into similar injury woes come world cup qualifying.  It would be nice to know what you have in Theo to see if he's an option.  He's at a stage in his football career that his growth could come at leaps and bounds or just stall.  He's a physically mature 19 year old.  He has the size and pace to compete.  Whether he has the skill is something we need to find out.

I've a feeling that Theo comes off the bench somewhere near the 60 minute mark, likely for Hoillet. Not sure Herdman will toss Pasher in there this time.  

Looking forward to Costa Rica. They are one of the most technical sides in the region, play some good football, and they will likely not maim half our team with savage tackles. It'll be a test we've not faced for a while, and I feel we line up well against them. We'll have to be switched on all game; they are smart footballers.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The US have called up two players into their team although so far only Zimmerman has exited the tourney due to injury (Edit - I forgot about Arriola as well):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/cade-cowell-henry-kessler-join-usmnt-gold-cup-camp-walker-zimmerman-out-with-inj

Also heard somewhere that Mexico are bringing in Pizarro from Inter Miami to replace the injured Lozano.

I hope we aren't going to wait until the very last minute to bring someone in.

Herdman's often brought players into camp in the past and not actually announced them until days later. That could be the case here.

I hate that this thought has even crossed my mind, and I really hope it isn't the case, however...... Is it possible Theo rubs coaches the wrong way? 

It's still early in the tournament, I hope we see him a bit more, but gotta say, he had the same issue at Wolves where no one understood why he wasn't getting minutes, even non-Canadian fans were questioning it. 

He obviously has skill and flash, he's the kinda guy you'd want in these games.  Hopefully he just picked up a knock.  

23 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He's been great this year - wtf wasnt he called into the initial squad??

Beats me. Good question though. Maybe he wanted to stay with his club? His commitment has been fleeting over the years. 

10 hours ago, Shway said:

One would think Tesho would be the obvious call-up no?

or does Bair or Brym get called in to make amends for their last showing in red.

Call ups to the national team need to be merit based. They can start making amends by starting to play consistently and become important players with their clubs. 

5 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Call ups to the national team need to be merit based. They can start making amends by starting to play consistently and become important players with their clubs. 

Yeah I am with you on that. I am not for bringing guys in to make up the numbers.

Bair would just be trading the Vancouver bench for the Canadian bench. I don't see how that helps him or us. 

Brym is on trial with a Dutch 2nd division club. Doubt he's coming.

There really isn't an obvious call up, which is why part of me believes we won't call any. We could start by having Gutierrez actually join our camp. That would be a good start.