Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 2, 2019 - Valour vs. Cavalry

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

plsq league season is over..valour should give a contract to macagno and bring him in right away..he would make tactical corrections immediately and build a stronger team for next year

That would indeed be interesting.

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This, from a Valour realist and not a total Valour apologist such as myself, was not expected.

I can't get my knickers in a twist over one match. I've been watching football far too long for that!

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

People keep saying this, but where do you see proven talent on this squad outside of Petrasso and an Italian striker who has no legs left?

Meh, I feel they have a solid front line with those 3 (Petrasso, Paolucci and Bustos) and also have a strong and aggressive cm's.

They would show glimpses of what they could be, but they're so highly inconsistent with this management.

10 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

Can Gale survive this?

Absolutely he will.

Not because he neccesarily should, but because I don't think the Bombers really care.

I'm still a bit numb and trying to put this loss into perspective.  What would be an equivalent loss by the Jets (hockey)..........15-0 ???  Would the coach survive that..........after a sub-par first half of season.........not a chance.

Which brings me to another point.........RG touched on it more than once.........establishing a club culture.  Are we going to be a club that is simply CPL filler where results really don't matter..........or are we a club that is striving to win and sh*t is unacceptable.  

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

Valour on paper should be competing for the title imo. All these poor performances just makes me think it's the managers fault. How can he not get this team playing well together?

On paper and on the pitch, Calgary and Hamilton are a fair bit better than the other teams in the league this year.  

Valour have been getting exploited week in and week out down the left side.  Until they can address that either tactically or with new personnel they just aren’t a good team.

42 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

Really? I never think to check CPL lines. How would they come up with that?

I have no clue how but they offered Cavalry winning at +162 and Valour at around +130. Couldn’t pass it up, just wish I’d put more than $30 down.

39 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

On paper and on the pitch, Calgary and Hamilton are a fair bit better than the other teams in the league this year.  

Valour have been getting exploited week in and week out down the left side.  Until they can address that either tactically or with new personnel they just aren’t a good team.

Valours lack of defensive signings from the beginning has screwed them. They need proper fullbacks, not wingers made to play fullback. (Feel like we’ve heard this before lol)

Right.  Calmed down a little. 

Was saying at the half if Galvis returns to the pitch that's Gale's head.  A blind man can see he was getting raped, shackled and sold, repeatedly, and then left asking for another.   Don't know if he's carrying a injury, don't know if he's hung-over, don't care.  Admit I wasn't a Galvis fan, gave him credit for the last couple of matches and then was made a fool for it.  His season is over. 

Galan, Ohin, and Carriero cautioned.  Frodo, Merry & Pippin the most deserving players of cautions today are they?  Fu'k me. 

That being said, this is the league.  This is the world in which you live.  Deal with it.  Or.... don't.   

8-nil?  And not a man sent off?  Not the Winnipeg I came up in. 

Edited by Cheeta

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

What's the difference between losing 2-0 or 3-0, or 8-0? Why does it matter? Both are unacceptable.

What?

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

What?

Maybe 2-0 is pushing it, but if Cavalry had stopped scoring after 4-0 or 5-0 would you have felt any differently about the match? I wouldn't. You don't learning anything more or less from 3 more goals in a blowout.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

Valours lack of defensive signings from the beginning has screwed them. They need proper fullbacks, not wingers made to play fullback. (Feel like we’ve heard this before lol)

Yep. Started the season with 5 defenders (6 if you include Gutierrez, who seems to much prefer midfield). In a 23 man squad, that is about 3 too few.

The other problem is that the "big" signings (Thomas & Murrell) are simply not good enough.

Personally I like what recent signing Le Bourhis has brought so far; he is nevertheless quite raw in some areas and has much to learn, but at 19 he has time. Neither Thomas nor Murrell are ever going to be much better than they are today.

And somebody needs to tell Mitter that having a quick word about what went wrong after conceding is one thing but throwing a tantrum is quite another. If he thinks that hides his errors, he is wrong.

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I have no clue how but they offered Cavalry winning at +162 and Valour at around +130. Couldn’t pass it up, just wish I’d put more than $30 down.

If you'd gone for 8-0 you wouldn't have needed to! 😂

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

I can't get my knickers in a twist over one match. I've been watching football far too long for that!

You've been watching QPR  too long for that! 😀 As we have seen over the years a team can bounce back from a major crushing, I haven't watched the match yet so I can't comment further!

26 minutes ago, gator said:

You've been watching QPR  too long for that! 😀 As we have seen over the years a team can bounce back from a major crushing, I haven't watched the match yet so I can't comment further!

Well, I do remember a somewhat recent EPL season that started with a 4-0 home defeat to Bolton. Narrowly avoided relegation and started the next season at home to Swansea. At least it couldn't get any worse than last year, right? Wrong. 0-5. I was almost glad we went down.

Edited by Lofty

41 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Maybe 2-0 is pushing it, but if Cavalry had stopped scoring after 4-0 or 5-0 would you have felt any differently about the match? I wouldn't. You don't learning anything more or less from 3 more goals in a blowout.

Yeah.  Yeah I would.  Because I'd have made sure they'd regret the day that they tried *(edit)* that.

Sometimes you don't need to win the fight, you just need to fight.  Its as simple as that.  

Club identity.  There's the identidy for you.  Right there.  Incompetence and indifference.  8-NIL IN YOUR OWN HOUSE?  And all 11 of your Gale's men stroll off the pitch at the end of all that?

Gloves are off.        

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

Soccer is different from hockey in terms of having blowouts, because it's lower scoring. It should be very difficult to score more than three against a well organized team with 11 on the field for the full 90 if team budgets are similar. Conceding eight is absolutely comic for a pro level team under those circumstances. Obvious questions to ask about Rob Gale that haven't been mentioned much so far are why he appears to favour a tactical approach revolving around a back three that is about twenty years out of date in terms of trends within the sport, and why he could not find an experienced goalkeeper who can command his box and marshal his defence better than the Belgian kid does. The goalkeepers for the Valour have looked suspect all season and players like Ledgerwood have even figured Janssens out on penalties lately which has been a strong point for him. He dives low very quickly so all you need to do is lift the ball into the roof of the net.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

Haha 4-0 off an offside, and a foul throw from Pasquotti to boot. This is hilarious. Brown was in an offside position and absolutely influenced the play.

Agreed, that fourth goal was decisive and the refs clearly did not want Valour to get back into it. 

C'mon.

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think it would be different. Receiving three goals one half, then two in the next. That is three less critical mistakes. That is at least competing and resisting, and correcting some things. It is also avoiding selling out your keeper, it would mean there is a fight on.

I give credit to Cavalry for pushing, they were coming off that draw vs. Pacific they felt was a sub-par performance, and this was all about puttting their foot down. I have no problem with them celebrating even, simply because where they are at and what this win means for them.