Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 2, 2019 - Valour vs. Cavalry

plsq league season is over..valour should give a contract to macagno and bring him in right away..he would make tactical corrections immediately and build a stronger team for next year

Why should losing 8-0 bear on a decision more than getting 9 points from their previous 5 matches? Gale wears this one, sure, but if you're sacking someone only for this you're bad at management.

Why not Stephen Hart, whose team is worse?

Edited by jonovision

Gale has to be canned.  So hilarious to see him go with the exact lineup and tactics from Valour's best match ever in the previous game only to be crushed... no wonder Wheeldon was laughing all game.  

The backline Gale has assembled is comical.  Ohin, Le Bourhis and Mitter?  You waste an international spot on Mitter?  He's a literal pub league player.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Why should losing 8-0 bear on a decision more than getting 9 points from their previous 5 matches? Gale wears this one, sure, but if you're sacking someone only for this you're bad at management.

Why not Stephen Hart, whose team is worse?

Define worse? Sure we are at the bottom of the table but I can tell you one thing we would NOT lose 8-0 at home. Never.

It is clear Wanderers are lacking on the attack and that is a personnel problem. Sure you know knock Hart for that. Allowing 8 goals at home is more then just a personnel problem.....

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Define worse? Sure we are at the bottom of the table but I can tell you one thing we would NOT lose 8-0 at home. Never.

It is clear Wanderers are lacking on the attack and that is a personnel problem. Sure you know knock Hart for that. Allowing 8 goals at home is more then just a personnel problem.....

What's the difference between losing 2-0 or 3-0, or 8-0? Why does it matter? Both are unacceptable.

Well for all the guys whining about Thomas and Murell, how did you enjoy that??  Very fitting it finally ended up being 8, because i feel about as gutted as a 8-1 scoreline.  

There's no way a professional team should ever concede eight goals 11 vs 11 to a team with a similar budget. That points to massive issues on player recruitment, team selection and/or tactical organization. Time to turn the page and try somebody else at that point. Up to 4 or 5 can happen occasionally on a very bad day, 8 is taking the piss.

I think Cavalry were hungry today. They haven't had the best run of results lately and for the first time in a while looked like they had something to prove. Also, this XI is pretty close to the best XI as the only player missing was Camargo. Great to see Brown back from his injury as Malonga has looked stale the last two games. 

Go Cavs!

Wow, that was odd, because in a weird way it was entertaining. At least I enjoyed it, and I am not a Cavalry fan and have no problem with Valour. 

You could see they really wanted it and the goals were deservedly celebrated, not because it meant winning, but for what they mean for the overall team status and mood. So even that I found fine, when in other cases I may not.

Pasquotti was great. In fact that whole Cavalry team. What player on Cavalry was worse than anyone on Valour this evening?

Valour on paper should be competing for the title imo. All these poor performances just makes me think it's the managers fault. How can he not get this team playing well together?

40 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There's no way a professional team should ever concede eight goals 11 vs 11 to a team with a similar budget. That points to massive issues on player recruitment, team selection and/or tactical organization. Time to turn the page and try somebody else at that point. Up to 4 or 5 can happen occasionally on a very bad day, 8 is taking the piss.

Valour do not have the same budget as Calgary.  We are at the bottom of the spectrum in that dept.

But that is not an excuse for this score line.  Valour were physically man-handled by Calgary.  We looked like boys playing men.  Wheeldon was literally laughing on the sideline.  Clearly we were out coached on this one.

Reality check! The top two teams in this league are a fair bit better than everybody else.

Big losses happen sometimes and this one does not negate the recent wins over York, Edmonton, and Halifax. You just have to put them behind you and move on. It will be a test of the character of this squad how they respond in their next match: against Forge of all teams!

I actually thought Valour were the better team until the first pen, which from my vantage point was laughable. Then the wheels fell off. Credit to Cavalry though, that was a dominant performance and they seemed to win every individual battle all match long.

All season long you have been able to drive an entire Panzer division down Valour's defensive left flank without running over a single Valour player. All kinds of goals have come from that all season and here again today, including the winner. Why have Valour's coaching staff not addressed this glaring deficiency? It is a tactical failure. There is no excuse.

This was the worst CPL.refereeing performance I have seen. Absolutely awful. Bogus winning pen, pushes not called, then minimal contact called, yellow cards given for nothing, what a joke.

Valour's defence was schooled by a vastly superior attacking system but if anyone thinks that Thomas and Murrell are suddenly going turn into good defenders overnight, they are only fooling themselves.

Galvis was finally tested defensively and found wanting. Perhaps Murrell will be better as a left wing back. But both can be pushed off the ball far too easily.

I'll make my final judgements based on the season as a whole, not one match. And if I were to do it based on one match, it would be the recent home win over FCE, not this one!

18 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Valour on paper should be competing for the title imo. All these poor performances just makes me think it's the managers fault. How can he not get this team playing well together?

People keep saying this, but where do you see proven talent on this squad outside of Petrasso and an Italian striker who has no legs left?

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Reality check! The top two teams in this league are a fair bit better than everybody else.

Big losses happen sometimes and this one does not negate the recent wins over York, Edmonton, and Halifax. You just have to put them behind you and move on. It will be a test of the character of this squad how they respond in their next match: against Forge of all teams!

I actually thought Valour were the better team until the first pen, which from my vantage point was laughable. Then the wheels fell off. Credit to Cavalry though, that was a dominant performance and they seemed to win every individual battle all match long.

All season long you have been able to drive an entire Panzer division down Valour's defensive left flank without running over a single Valour player. All kinds of goals have come from that all season and here again today, including the winner. Why have Valour's coaching staff not addressed this glaring deficiency? It is a tactical failure. There is no excuse.

This was the worst CPL.refereeing performance I have seen. Absolutely awful. Bogus winning pen, pushes not called, then minimal contact called, yellow cards given for nothing, what a joke.

Valour's defence was schooled by a vastly superior attacking system but if anyone thinks that Thomas and Murrell are suddenly going turn into good defenders overnight, they are only fooling themselves.

Galvis was finally tested defensively and found wanting. Perhaps Murrell will be better as a left wing back. But both can be pushed off the ball far too easily.

I'll make my final judgements based on the season as a whole, not one match. And if I were to do it based on one match, it would be the recent home win over FCE, not this one!

This, from a Valour realist and not a total Valour apologist such as myself, was not expected.