Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 2, 2019 - Valour vs. Cavalry

19 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Cavalry playing like a whole team of Michael Bradleys, getting in the face of the referee or their opponent at every stoppage. This is like the first game at Spruce Meadows, with Cavalry chopping down the smaller Valour players like so much firewood, where they injured the team's two best players. Barely soccer since the penalty.

This is how Cavalry play but they do it very well and have plenty of skill to punish you when you cough up the ball.  The key is keeping the ball and being patient,  then their press loses steam.  But in terms of physical play I haven't noticed Cavalry being particularly dirty today, they are just pressing and overmatching Valour physically at every turn, and Valour don't seem willing to compete.  Hard to play nice soccer against Cavalry but at some point you have to stop getting beaten to every 50-50 ball.

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

lol mitter losing it on janssens after 3rd goal: what are you doing

Mitter has a habit of these outbursts, I think because he believes then people won't notice his vast deficiencies.

7 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

This is how Cavalry play but they do it very well and have plenty of skill to punish you when you cough up the ball.  The key is keeping the ball and being patient,  then their press loses steam.  But in terms of physical play I haven't noticed Cavalry being particularly dirty today, they are just pressing and overmatching Valour physically at every turn, and Valour don't seem willing to compete.  Hard to play nice soccer against Cavalry but at some point you have to stop getting beaten to every 50-50 ball.

From the matches I've seen, the flow of a Cavalry game is set early. A foul isn't a foul unless the referee gives it, and they'll push their luck early to see how much rope they'll get. Referees don't want to blow the whistle every 30 seconds so more often than not they relent and Cavalry is allowed to impose their will. What Gale got wrong is Valour has no one in midfield and the diminutive Galan is getting manhandled. The back line has made errors but this game was lost in midfield. "Overmatching physically" isn't always a foul, but often it is.

Haha 4-0 off an offside, and a foul throw from Pasquotti to boot. This is hilarious. Brown was in an offside position and absolutely influenced the play.

Edited by jonovision

Just now, Big_M said:

valour has to make many player changes after this season and change the coach..has no idea what hes doing with this squad

I respectfully disagree. In a 7 team league there are at least three teams equal or worse than Valour. That said, sitting Thomas for Le Bourhis or Mitter is fireable.

how in the world do you bring a kid the middle of the season with less than 200 plsq minutes to play cb..there are players in plsq and l1o with way more experience..duran lee played well today with hfx

Just now, Big_M said:

how in the world do you bring a kid the middle of the season with less than 200 plsq minutes to play cb..there are players in plsq and l1o with way more experience..duran lee played well today with hfx

Le Bourhis has been decent to date.