Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Sep 2, 2019 - Valour vs. Cavalry

Match is at 2:30pm CDT (3:30pm EDT) and can be seen live on OneSoccer.

This is the third meeting between the teams, with Cavalry snatching a late winner at Spruce Meadows early in the season and Valour snatching a deserved injury time equalizer from the spot in the most recent meeting, at IGF. Thus Cavalry lead the season series with a win and a draw.

Valour are coming off a relatively comfortable home win over HFX, only their third home win of the season, although with recent additions to the squad and returnees from injury they do finally seem to be coming into form. Cavalry come into this one on the back of a 1-1 home draw with Pacific which was preceded by a disappointing defeat to Forge at THF.

Cavs really need the three points to keep pace with Forge at the top of the Fall standings, whilst a win for the Maroons would give life to their own slender Fall Season title hopes -- and with Forge up next, also on home turf, this is their chance to make it interesting.

Valour currently 4th with 12 pts from 10 matches; Cavalry 2nd with 16 pts from 9 matches.

Official Preview: https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-cavalry-fc-match-67

Tactical Analysis: https://canpl.ca/article/tactical-talk-freedom-for-valour-attackers-in-gales-inverted-flying-v

Edited by Lofty

Valour team news: Arguiñarena is out injured and Farago's broken finger will probably keep him out a little longer, while Golubar is out for the season. To the best of my knowledge, everyone else is healthy. Murrell serves the final match of his six match suspension for tablegate in Halifax.

The excellent analysis above of Valour's tactics vs. HFX gives a large hint at what formation we are likely to see again: what I would call a 3-4-2-1.

I have some reservations because I see this as a primarily defensive formation and Valour need the win if they are to mount a Fall Season title challenge. Now that the ship seems to have stabilized, with 3 wins from their last 5 matches, perhaps the Maroons should roll the dice here and get more of their best attacking players on the pitch at the same time. Do they really need 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs, and 2 holding midfielders all on the pitch together? Or should one of those holding mids be switched out for some fire power? Tough call because Galán is certainly one of Valour's best eleven and the outstanding Beland-Goyette isn't going anywhere. Did anyone else just hear a Moose call?

Projected Valour line up:

Formation: 3-4-2-1

Goal: Janssens;

Defence (R-L): Ohin, Mitter, Le Bourhis;

Midfield: Gutierrez, Galán, Beland-Goyette (C), Galvis;

Attacking Mid: Petrasso, Bustos;

Forward: Paolucci.

One of the non-Larson voices on the One Soccer countdown show made a good point that Beland-Goyette has been playing much less as a pure holding midfielder and more as a classic #8 since the addition of Galan and the formation change. We saw with his recent goal, and his assist to Bustos against Halifax that he is involving himself more in the attack.

49 minutes ago, Lofty said:

The excellent analysis above of Valour's tactics vs. HFX gives a large hint at what formation we are likely to see again: what I would call a 3-4-2-1.

Reads a bit rosey for what my eyes took in but yeah, sure, about right. 

Creates vulnerabilities, especially as your trusting individual decision making so heavily, but is also very fluid in both directions and can be aggressive, which seems a better fit for a fair number of the players on the 1st team. 

Unfortunately, decision making and timely aggression in attack have been question marks for Valour this year.  Clearly thats improving with familiarity though.  Fingers & toes crossed. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

One of the non-Larson voices on the One Soccer countdown show made a good point that Beland-Goyette has been playing much less as a pure holding midfielder and more as a classic #8 since the addition of Galan and the formation change. We saw with his recent goal, and his assist to Bustos against Halifax that he is involving himself more in the attack.

Yes, that is fair but wonder goals aside I don't think LBG has presented a significant attacking threat so far. Players like Musse and Sacramento are, IMHO, much more likely to show up on the score sheet with a goal or an assist.

But perhaps we will see more of that side of him as he settles into a new role. Valour's shooting from distance has been dismal all season -- even from LBG; wonder strike excepted, my recollection is that all the others were high, wide, and not very handsome. And there have been a few. So I'm not sure we can count on him for any more long range net busters, or indeed defence splitting passes. Hope I'm wrong. We shall see.

Prediction: 0-0.

I'm just not sure the Maroons have the fire power to break down the Cav's tough defence and the recently improved defensive unit could well be good enough to hold Malonga at bay. This is likely to be a cagey affair. On the high/low bet, I'm going low. So 3-3 it is then. 😂

Why am I the only one playing the prediction game? Come on @jonovision and @Cheeta, stick your neck out!

heres_johnny.jpg

Edited by Lofty

Lets see.  High teens today, bit windy perhaps but usually not an issue at IGF.  Cavalry has played a tonne of football this month and Valour have a settled line up for the 1st time this year.  Hmmm.  Generally feeling positive.

Karma check.  Of course the Bombers did loose yesterday on a 80 yard final game drive but that's about 1500% better than they usually do Labour Day weekend.  The wee elf did loose our 50/50 ticket last match.  On the other hand the moon is waxing into Scorpio today.  Don't know if Fury's Trace will be there though, bit of a talisman that one, and it is Labour Day.  Generally feeling positive.

Prediction;  2-1 Valour

Now that I've jinxed the lads I'm going to be playing it safe and leave a bit earlier to pick up a fresh box of safety pins at the Dollar Store. 

Highlander Kurgan Quotes by Orla Lehner

Edited by Cheeta
happy thoughts happy thoughts happy thoughts

Cavalry playing like a whole team of Michael Bradleys, getting in the face of the referee or their opponent at every stoppage. This is like the first game at Spruce Meadows, with Cavalry chopping down the smaller Valour players like so much firewood, where they injured the team's two best players. Barely soccer since the penalty.

Edited by jonovision

3-0 just like that..le bourhis and galvis at lcb and lb..you are just asking for it..an opponent like this you put petrasso at lb who is much more experienced and better defensively

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

3-0 just like that..le bourhis and galvis at lcb and lb..you are just asking for it..an opponent like this you put petrasso at lb who is much more experienced and better defensively

Petrasso has been awful in his defensive duties this year which is why Gale took them away. He also can't play on the left defensively as he has no left foot.

Edited by jonovision

31 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Shocking dive from Minatel. Plants his foot and then launches himself forward on replay. Not typically a dishonest player like Escalante but that was bad.

Actually I've watched him go down easy on plenty of occasions this season.