International Call-ups CPL

VinceA

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Jordan vs South Sudan match forfeited following the confirmation of COVID-19 cases among the South Sudan delegation.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/arabcup/arabcup2021/media-releases/fifa-arab-cup-2021-tm-qualification-match-between

Seven players and one team member of South Sudan were COVID positive.  A total of 19 players are currently in isolation.  Hopefully Akio (Valour) is ok.

It was a while ago. Akio and Loturi didnt travel for that game even f they were called up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'm glad for Metusala. He should fit in well in a Haiti national where Jems Geffrard has been a stalwart at the back. With his flexibility and youth, I'd imagine he'll become a regular. I don't think it's really a loss to our NT program though.

Akio was called up to South Sudan for a 38-man training camp that started this past Wednesday, ahead of their AFCON qualifying playoff series against Djibouti on March 23rd and 27th.

https://ssfaonline.com/2022/03/07/coach-stefano-releases-a-provisional-list-for-bright-star/

According to his agency, he's been called up to the final squad as well.

Victor Loturi isn't in the camp. I'm guessing that based on his breakout season last year, he's probably waiting to see if he might be able to get on Canada's radar in the next couple of years before committing to South Sudan.

Edited by Zem

7 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'm glad for Metusala. He should fit in well in a Haiti national where Jems Geffrard has been a stalwart at the back. With his flexibility and youth, I'd imagine he'll become a regular. I don't think it's really a loss to our NT program though.

Oh... but you never know, he's still young and the defensive pool is still a tad thin compared to other positions.  He had a bit of a breakout season last year, another good season could bring about interest from the MLS or move to a smaller top tier European league, and then he would certainly have been on the radar for Canada MNT. Would friendly cap count as commitment or could he still switch back if the interest come about in a year or two?

On 3/12/2022 at 6:52 PM, StillOnFire said:

Oh... but you never know, he's still young and the defensive pool is still a tad thin compared to other positions.  He had a bit of a breakout season last year, another good season could bring about interest from the MLS or move to a smaller top tier European league, and then he would certainly have been on the radar for Canada MNT. Would friendly cap count as commitment or could he still switch back if the interest come about in a year or two?

No, it doesnt count anymore.

We have enough players, not a big loss, I'm happy for him tho. We should not be surprised if other dual nationals accept the call for other NT that may be weakest. We should be happy for that, more players that have been developped in Canada will shine at international level. Without CanPL, I dont think Metusala would have been called-up 

20 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

William Akio (Valour FC) and South Sudan win and advance in 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualification.  Can't find starting lineup but Akio does appear in the photo.

Sunday, March 27, 2022. | South Sudan  1-0 Djibouti  (5-2 Agg) - Chol Peter 55'

Does that cap-tie him to South Sudan?

• 1 month later...

7 players from the CPL are on the U20 provisional squad. Bontis, Piepgrass (I think he's a reserve now for Calgary), Kane, Wright, Bontis, Poku, and Assi.

Also Metusala and Baptiste have been called up to Haiti. Still surprised they aren't trying to grab Pacius and Cedric Toussaint..