We MAY play a November friendly - (CSA is looking!)

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Wow. With their 2 Nations league games on 15th and 18th that is 3 games in a week. Noone can accuse El Salvador of not trying to build a better team..... Unlike us

Actually, all we can accuse them of is trying to get as many Fifa points for WCQ as possible.  It is a risky proposition but one that they put themselves in by losing to the Dominican Republic.  They are trying to hold on to that sixth position, and in order to do that they need to win as many games as possible between now and then.  If they drop out of 6th, it doesn't matter if they drop to 7th or 37th.  It is a gamble that they put themselves in by losing (even after having all those high profile friendlies against Brazil and Japan and Peru...).

Reminder, FIFA rules state that you can only play friendlies in one confederation (or the same confederation you played a competitive match in)

You can't get a team from Asia or Europe if they already have one match there during the window.

http://img.fifa.com/image/upload/em9ojcgyge2c6fo07hic.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwji7vmYr8zkAhUsnuAKHQwWAVcQFjADegQIBhAT&usg=AOvVaw09mo5TegrLfrmkYKGcq5v7

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Razcal said:

There is no excuse for us not to have a friendly scheduled for International Breaks. We should have a friendly scheduled for when the US is playing Cuba. It's a -10 multiplier, which could provide us with crucial points for qualification.

There absolutely is an excuse to not play a friendly in October.  Why tire yourself out before an important game against the US?  It is much more beneficial to rest the team prior to that game.  November is a different situation because our important game is first.  Scheduling something else for later in the week makes sense.  We'll see if it happens.

It is kind of interesting that El Salvador, despite playing 7 friendlies since June 2018, have found themselves in 2nd place in their group in League B after crashing out of the Gold Cup in the group stage, while no friendlies Canada are 1st place in their League A group after making it to the quarter finals of the Gold Cup.

Although I should mention, El Salvador did pass us in the FIFA rankings in that time period. Good job FIFA, you nailed that one. No doubt our wins against Martinique and French Guiana counting for 0 points was a factor.

Doing a little research, I looked for the countries that are above Canada in the FIFA ranking and  can also be a relatively less complicated to beat and and can give Canada good points. Those who have a free date next 11.19 are the following: 

26 Venezuela / 37 Korea / 66 Ecuador / 68 Saudi Arabia/  71 China PR / 73 Bolivia

The Asian teams will play their WCQ in the Middle East next 14.11. Korea in Beirut, China PR in Dubai and Saudi Arabia in Uzbekistan. It means that in theory Canada could travel to Dubai or Manama and play against any of them. (Do not be surprised, the Dominican Republic played a few weeks ago vs UAE in Bahrain).

Conmebol's rivals could travel to Florida and play vs Canada, especially if it is rumored that Canada will play USA in Orlando on 11.15.

Most of the European nations that were named in the posts above are busy with the ECQ next November.

Edited by xabuep2

44 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Doing a little research, I looked for the countries that are above Canada in the FIFA ranking and  can also be a relatively less complicated to beat and and can give Canada good points. Those who have a free date next 11.19 are the following: 

26 Venezuela / 37 Korea / 66 Ecuador / 68 Saudi Arabia/  71 China PR / 73 Bolivia

The Asian teams will play their WCQ in the Middle East next 14.11. Korea in Beirut, China PR in Dubai and Saudi Arabia in Uzbekistan. It means that in theory Canada could travel to Dubai or Manama and play against any of them. (Do not be surprised, the Dominican Republic played a few weeks ago vs UAE in Bahrain).

Conmebol's rivals could travel to Florida and play vs Canada, especially if it is rumored that Canada will play USA in Orlando on 11.15.

Most of the European nations that were named in the posts above are busy with the ECQ next November.

We'd all love a friendly in November.  But practically, anything in N. America would be difficult to arrange unless you gave the Venezuelan or Ecuadorian FA a boat load of money.  

Also if I were Rangers, Gent, Bayern and especially, Puebla, I would be ticked if my player went from Toronto to the Middle East to play a friendly in the window.  And you wouldn't want to arrange one and then have half the first team bail.  Hate that possibility.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

We'd all love a friendly in November.  But practically, anything in N. America would be difficult to arrange unless you gave the Venezuelan or Ecuadorian FA a boat load of money.  

Also if I were Rangers, Gent, Bayern and especially, Puebla, I would be ticked if my player went from Toronto to the Middle East to play a friendly in the window.  And you wouldn't want to arrange one and then have half the first team bail.  Hate that possibility.

Something tells me the Venezuelan FA wouldn't be that expensive right now

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Reminder, FIFA rules state that you can only play friendlies in one confederation (or the same confederation you played a competitive match in)

You can't get a team from Asia or Europe if they already have one match there during the window.

http://img.fifa.com/image/upload/em9ojcgyge2c6fo07hic.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwji7vmYr8zkAhUsnuAKHQwWAVcQFjADegQIBhAT&usg=AOvVaw09mo5TegrLfrmkYKGcq5v7

Is that the case or did I read the rule wrong because Ukraine played Lithuania in a competitive match then played Nigeria in a friendly in the same break? Or did you mean they have to physically play in one confederation but can play nations from multiple confederations as long as you physically play the matches in one confederation?

Edited by Daryn27

3 hours ago, Kent said:

It is kind of interesting that El Salvador, despite playing 7 friendlies since June 2018, have found themselves in 2nd place in their group in League B after crashing out of the Gold Cup in the group stage, while no friendlies Canada are 1st place in their League A group after making it to the quarter finals of the Gold Cup.

Although I should mention, El Salvador did pass us in the FIFA rankings in that time period. Good job FIFA, you nailed that one. No doubt our wins against Martinique and French Guiana counting for 0 points was a factor.

Why does it seem like we always draw the wierd teams that gyp us out of our FIfa points??  

Just spitballing but in some ways would it not make sense to go after a top team if they are willing to play us? Because losing to them would not cost us very much I assume, but beating them would be immense in terms of points.  If we do not move on in Nations League we may have a number of open windows before June and if we are only going to play one game we may as well make it against tougher opposition and try to maximize the points against a team that may not care as much about the game.  Is there a nation that owes us a favour in the footballing world?

Beat Cuba get 5 points, Lose to Cuba down what 18?    Beat England in a Friendly get? 15 points, lose to them - lose 4?

44 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Just spitballing but in some ways would it not make sense to go after a top team if they are willing to play us? Because losing to them would not cost us very much I assume, but beating them would be immense in terms of points.  If we do not move on in Nations League we may have a number of open windows before June and if we are only going to play one game we may as well make it against tougher opposition and try to maximize the points against a team that may not care as much about the game.  Is there a nation that owes us a favour in the footballing world?

Beat Cuba get 5 points, Lose to Cuba down what 18?    Beat England in a Friendly get? 15 points, lose to them - lose 4?

CSA needs more people that think like you.  Cheers.

Edited by costarg

7 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Beating England in a friendly wouldn't get us 15 points. Keep in mind the Nations League/Gold Cup qualifiers that were just played have an importance multiplier of 25, and friendlies in an international window are only 10. I calculated it just now and a win against number 4 ranked England in a friendly would get us just under 8 points. If we lose to England we would lose 2 points. For a comparison, a win against number 52 ranked Scotland would get us just under 6 points, and a loss to them would lose us 4 points.

Thanks for checking. With numbers like that the CSA would still be better off going after a big fish in my opinion.  Of course it will switch depending on what the teams around us do in the meantime, but knowing we most likely won’t line up 2 games per window and that friendly wins vs the likes of Cuba will give us very little, better to go after 1 game against a high ranking opponent who has less riding on the outcome.

4 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Australia is available. Aussies play Jordan on 11.14 in Amman

They're not available for us. As posted above, FIFA rules state you can only play games in one confederation during a FIFA window. Australia can't play in Asia and then in North America. We can't play in North America and then in Asia. 

We can only play a team who is already playing in North America earlier in the window or who is only going to be playing one game (against us) in the window.

I will also add, if we happen to beat the US in Oct, we will be in a good position and should not be risking points by playing teams who are better than us on paper, like Australia. 

4 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Thanks for checking. With numbers like that the CSA would still be better off going after a big fish in my opinion.  Of course it will switch depending on what the teams around us do in the meantime, but knowing we most likely won’t line up 2 games per window and that friendly wins vs the likes of Cuba will give us very little, better to go after 1 game against a high ranking opponent who has less riding on the outcome.

I think the strategy is more nuanced than that. It's not about highly ranked or low ranked. The best is to play someone ranked higher than you that isn't actually as good as their ranking. A team in decline, or a team that maybe gamed the system, or had some sort of fluke result(s) that aren't likely to be reproduced.