We MAY play a November friendly - (CSA is looking!)

http://www.guatefutbol.com/2019/08/28/guatemala-jugara-dos-amistosos/

Guatemala is looking to play a friendly on November 12th in the USA.

Possibly opponents are Haiti, Nicaragua & Canada.

Nicaragua would have to play 3 games in the window so I think that would be a little crazy.

If they play in Florida, Haiti will make them more money so I wouldn't hold my breath but if the game is in Texas or Los Angeles, we have a chance of being the selected opponent.

The key info here is that the CSA is actually looking at friendlies.

Reminder: The FIFA window is from November 11th to November 19th, but that early in the window means the squad would be mostly CanPL/USL/MLS(non-playoff) players I would think.

Not the full starting XI that would play the USA a few days later. (ex: Crépeau likely in goal, Borjan still jet-lagged). 

Great news! If they are looking and don't nail something down, that's one thing, but not to be looking is entirely different.

And often times if we are in the mix and looking, something comes together.

Either way, I would be happy to play a friendly against Guatemala in the USA as opposed to doing nothing for that window.

Just thinking now, many of these concacaf nations play friendlies in the USA due to the money that can be made from ex-pats. Haiti, Nicaragua...these teams have fan bases in the US..so they are attractive for those trying to make a buck off friendlies.

Canada does not offer this. If everyone else is playing in the US to make money, and we are not a money-maker, perhaps this hampers our efforts to schedule friendlies? What do you guys think?

Edited by Obinna

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just thinking now, many of these concacaf nations play friendlies in the USA due to the money that can be made from ex-pats. Haiti, Nicaragua...these teams have fan bases in the US..so they are attractive for those trying to make a buck off friendlies.

Canada does not offer this. If everyone else is playing in the US to make money, and we are not a money-maker, perhaps this hampers our efforts to schedule friendlies? What do you guys think?

idk maybe but at the same time almost every country plays more friendlies then us, shouldn't be that hard. 

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Why not just play a country like Haiti, Nicaragua etc. in Canada if they’re looking to make a buck? 

Canada v any of those teams is going to draw better in Canada than the USA.  The fact is when we play in the USA we get less than 100 people out.. Canada at home would bring in 1000s plus you probably wouldn’t drop off much in the other support.

Its a complete embarrassment that we haven’t played a friendly in 1.5 years.  In terms of incompetence it’s the managerial equivalent of 8-1.

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Why not just play a country like Haiti, Nicaragua etc. in Canada if they’re looking to make a buck? 

Canada v any of those teams is going to draw better in Canada than the USA.  The fact is when we play in the USA we get less than 100 people out.. Canada at home would bring in 1000s plus you probably wouldn’t drop off much in the other support.

Its a complete embarrassment that we haven’t played a friendly in 1.5 years.  In terms of incompetence it’s the managerial equivalent of 8-1.

Are you saying Canada vs Nicaragua will draw more than a game against the USA?  

22 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

On neutral ground (most often the USA) you can split the costs (and the profits from ticket sales). That's not the way it works if you host!

Actually on neutral ground, specifically in the USA, it’s usually a promoter who also covers a lot of the cost.  But my point stands that people at the top of a national organization like the CSA should have the business sense to make home matches happen.  Costs may be higher but we would also keep a higher cut of the presumably higher revenue.. and most importantly have our team at home and grow support.  

Look how excited people are just to see our team face minnow after minnow.  We could definitely draw a sizeable crowd for any mid level team but just choose it’s not worth the hassle?  We have marketable stars now, this isn’t 2007 anymore.. and even in 2007 we played a home friendly!

8 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Actually on neutral ground, specifically in the USA, it’s usually a promoter who also covers a lot of the cost.....CSA should have the .....

Because the promoter believes they will recoup those costs; this doesn't happen with Canada because there is no big fan base.

The CSA knows very well that almost all home friendlies lose money.

11 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Because the promoter believes they will recoup those costs; this doesn't happen with Canada because there is no big fan base.

The CSA knows very well that almost all home friendlies lose money.

JUST play Brazil every few months.... why didn't they just think of that... what morons....

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It looks like Guatemala have their friendly.

We could still play Haiti outside the FIFA dates.

http://www.elgrafico.com/selecciones/Guatemala-confirma-amistoso-contra-El-Salvador-en-Los-Angeles-20190911-0014.html

I have no idea about point calculations and the impact on qualifying, but playing Haiti would be very welcome IMO.  The chance to quickly reassert ourselves after the GC stumble would be great for the players and fans. 

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Wow. With their 2 Nations league games on 15th and 18th that is 3 games in a week. Noone can accuse El Salvador of not trying to build a better team..... Unlike us

Instead of friendlies I think they should develop a magic wand. Watched the GC game v Honduras and ES was absolutely terrible.

I like the the SKorea call but a bit dicey. Looking at the rankings I would say NIreland or Iceland are 2 teams with a decent rankkng im sure we would beat at BC place

40 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Instead of friendlies I think they should develop a magic wand. Watched the GC game v Honduras and ES was absolutely terrible.

I like the the SKorea call but a bit dicey. Looking at the rankings I would say NIreland or Iceland are 2 teams with a decent rankkng im sure we would beat at BC place

I am not so sure of that, would really like to play either though!