Match Thread : CONCACAF League : CD Olimpia v Forge FC, August 29, 2019 - Round of 16 - 2nd Leg

Very proud of Forge and the league showing up for that tournament despite limited resources and I will post this in CPL General as well

1-CONCACAF decided to add CPL pretty late, safe to assume that roster rules & budget were already decided prior to that.

2-The league didn't know in advance how we would compete in our inaugural year against CONCACAF foes... Now they know.

3-The future CPL Champions having to juggle 3 competitions (V Cup, CL & CPL), CPL MUST give them the tools to complete through all 3, otherwise, it becomes a poisonous gift that could sabotage their chances in other competitions. 

4-Our Canadians made us SUPER PROUD, they can compete and showed a lot of heart. However, to win in Central America, you need both "experience" and "battle tested great talent". Both Owundi and Welshman were greatly missed tonight. Our Canadians are good but they need to be surrounded by better and more experience internationals.

5-Teams need bigger bench for proper rotations and more budget for better talents. Also, better scheduling from CPL would help. I know this is Canada but MLS are now forcing Montreal to play outdoor earlier, the schedule needs to be stretch out for proper rest from travelling and recovering from games, otherwise quality on the pitch drops.

6-Again, expectation exceed and I'm super proud of our league and boys... but CPL now needs to help those teams in return. CONCACAF League isn't going away, there needs to be a noticeable bump in roster size and salary cap.

7-Everyone else (CONCACAF & MLS clubs) will only get better from here and now they also have a measure of CPL. Can't take a step back by staying still and getting hammered the following years.

Your move CPL

6 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Would be a terrible shame if Forge suffer a bit of a hangover from this, particularly for their upcoming visit to IGF on Sept 12th!

I'm still holding out a single ray of hope that Valour can claim the Fall crown but fear not: it is the same ray of hope that QPR will one day win the FA Cup!

You should know better by now!😀

Did it seem to anyone else, that there was a distinct lack of hand shakes between the two teams after the game??  I dont think there was much love lost between the 2 clubs.   Good show for the Forge, they didnt quit even when it started to look like a rout.  Choiniere was unlucky not to have made it 4-2 near the end.  MIssion accomplished for CPL..there was some question as to whether we deserved a spot...well Forge did the league proud.  

On 8/29/2019 at 9:19 PM, Ansem said:
4-Our Canadians made us SUPER PROUD, they can compete and showed a lot of heart. However, to win in Central America, you need both "experience" and "battle tested great talent". Both Owundi and Welshman were greatly missed tonight. Our Canadians are good but they need to be surrounded by better and more experience internationals.

I'm going to disagree with you on this.  Half the point of the CPL is to develop Canadian talent.  I want those Canadian kids going down in to hostile environments in Central America and learning what it's like, so that if they make it to the Men's national team they aren't shocked in to losing 8-1.  I don't want them getting displaced by "experienced internationals" and depriving them of that experience.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm going to disagree with you on this.  Half the point of the CPL is to develop Canadian talent.  I want those Canadian kids going down in to hostile environments in Central America and learning what it's like, so that if they make it to the Men's national team they aren't shocked in to losing 8-1.  I don't want them getting displaced by "experienced internationals" and depriving them of that experience.

Better learning curve with internationals which push the quality up, forcing Canadians to adjust upwards. The good news is the league's starting quota providing a good balance

10 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

I wonder if Cavalry had played against Olimpia, the result would have been different ..Anyway, for next year the representative of the CPl will be the strongest. There will no longer be the absurd rule of choosing between the 3 founding members.

I watched both Olimpia and Cavalry visit Tim Horton Field to play Forge in a space of 4 days, there was no comparison in the quality of teams, even though the score was the same in both matches! Cavalry do play a different style than Forge but I'm not convinced they would have got a different result over the 2 legs vs Olympia, if you are insinuating that Cavalry is a better team than Forge we will have to see how the full CPL season plays out before we can make that claim! Cavalry have one foot in the door to be able to try their luck in CONCACAF next season!

11 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

I wonder if Cavalry had played against Olimpia, the result would have been different ..Anyway, for next year the representative of the CPl will be the strongest. There will no longer be the absurd rule of choosing between the 3 founding members.

Unless the Whitecaps come along and snatch up a bunch of their players