Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Aug 28, 2019 - Valour vs. HFX

Posted (edited)

Match is at 7pm CDT (8pm EDT) and can be watched live on OneSoccer.

Last meeting was in Halifax and ended in a 1-0 win for HFX in somewhat controversial circumstances, as Valour's Jordan Murrell was sent off in injury time which culminated in tablegate. Valour won the first ever encounter between the teams, at IGF, but since then HFX have won four times in a row, including home and away in a VCup encounter.

This is second consecutive basement battle for Valour; these are the two bottom teams in the CPL and a win for HFX would leap frog them over Valour and leave Valour in last place.

Valour's previous match was a 2-1 loss at Pacific while HFX earned a very creditable 0-0 home draw with Cavalry last time out.

CPL Preview:

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-hfx-wanderers-fc-match-64

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Valour team news:

Arguiñarena would appear to be out for a bit. Farago is probably still sidelined with a broken finger which could get interesting as Janssens' hamstring problem seemed to be recurring at Pacific. Apparently Le Bourhis was ruled out at the last minute vs. Pacific so it is hard to say whether he will be available. Galán also seems to have been nursing a knock. Golubar is out for the season and Murrell serves the 5th of his 6 match suspension.

Potential Valour line up:

Formation: likely 3-5-2

Goal: Janssens (or Artemenko);

Defence (R-L): Ohin, Thomas(C), Mitter;

Wing Backs: Garcia, Galvis;

Midfield: Sacramento, Beland-Goyette, Bustos;

Forward: Paolucci, Petrasso.

Edited by Lofty

I thought Valour played fairly well at Pacific despite the result. And I am optimistic about recent changes of direction, such as trying to play a settled team, and recent performances. Valour are going to continue to suffer from not having any poachers and having a very mediocre defence but if they keep creating chances they should still be able to pick up results.

I predicted a win against HFX last time and I'm going to make the same mistake again.

Prediction: Valour 2 HFX 1

Really don't know what it's going to take.  There's enough up front to trouble every team in this league, if they lads put on their shooting boots that is, but that just hasn't happening often enough for some reason.  

Not to be a downer but the home play isn't exactly helping the gate, or the moral in the stands.  Have got to get something very positive from this match to start a strong finish to the year.  

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Really don't know what it's going to take.  There's enough up front to trouble every team in this league, if they lads put on their shooting boots that is, but that just hasn't happening often enough for some reason.  

Not to be a downer but the home play isn't exactly helping the gate, or the moral in the stands.  Have got to get something very positive from this match to start a strong finish to the year.  

One major problem is that Valour's main man up front, for all his great dribbling skills and energy, is not a natural goalscorer. Excellent penalty taker. Great heads up shot into the empty net. But he just scored his FIRST GOAL of the season from open play at Pacific. FIRST! And also missed a break away and other good chances: exactly the kind that Forge's Novak put away at IGF. I'm afraid that isn't going to change. Valour need to create lots of chances because the percent converted is going to be low.

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

One major problem is that Valour's main man up front, for all his great dribbling skills and energy, is not a natural goalscorer. Excellent penalty taker. Great heads up shot into the empty net. But he just scored his FIRST GOAL of the season from open play at Pacific. FIRST! And also missed a break away and other good chances: exactly the kind that Forge's Novak put away at IGF. I'm afraid that isn't going to change. Valour need to create lots of chances because the percent converted is going to be low.

That wasn't Petrasso's first non penalty goal.  He lobbed it into the empty net in that York game a few weeks ago.  The point stands though, that he doesn't score many in the run of play.  I think he is more important for what he creates all over the pitch.  That goal that Musse scored in Edmonton back in the Spring season was all Petrasso.  I probably could have put that ball in the net, and I'm terrible ;) .

As an aside, attendance is looking like it will not be very good tonight.  I'm seeing 800-1000 less tickets sold than I have seen for any game before.  We are likely to be in the 4000's, and 4500 might be optimistic.  This forecast is probably not going to help with walk up sales.

image.png.2bf052926acf84e4fd347763e6fb79b1.png

6 hours ago, MrsC said:

That wasn't Petrasso's first non penalty goal.  He lobbed it into the empty net in that York game a few weeks ago.  The point stands though, that he doesn't score many in the run of play.  I think he is more important for what he creates all over the pitch.  That goal that Musse scored in Edmonton back in the Spring season was all Petrasso.  I probably could have put that ball in the net, and I'm terrible ;) .

OK, you've got me, first goal from open play where he had to beat a goalie! Although to be fair to him that empty netter was no gimme.

You are certainly bang on about Petrasso being a good provider. But I think you also understand my point, which is where on earth are the goals going to come from?

Cottage closing September long. It was always going to be weak.

Can’t believe Simmons and Oxner are on the bench ! 5 straight losses without simmons when he was injured and 14 goals conceded. Unbeaten in the past  two he has been back, no goals conceded and midfield looking like a midfield again. Oxner has been outstanding and deserves to remain starting Gk. can only assume it’s a tactical move to counter Valours game plan. It will either be a genius decision or Valour will win 3-0. 

1 hour ago, Silverfox said:

Can’t believe Simmons and Oxner are on the bench ! 5 straight losses without simmons when he was injured and 14 goals conceded. Unbeaten in the past  two he has been back, no goals conceded and midfield looking like a midfield again. Oxner has been outstanding and deserves to remain starting Gk. can only assume it’s a tactical move to counter Valours game plan. It will either be a genius decision or Valour will win 3-0. 

The 'Genius' option isnt look good  lol

Nice to see things finally coming together. Simply too much talent for it not to be working at Valour. 

Not beyond possibility for a late surge up the table. IF Forge do falter it could certainly still get interesting for that second final spot. 

Just back from the lake so I missed the game. But I see from the highlights that Bustos missed a chance served up on a platter by Petrasso because he took it on his (useless) right foot, but good to see him get two in the second half on nice finishes. I'm happy for the guy because, even more than the rest of the team, he seemed frustrated by individual and collective lack of success.

Valour are 4th now?!

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Attendance at IGF: 4,346.

When that's your worst crowd of the year, I say you're doing alright.

Was a bit dodgy at 1st there but filled in a bit.  4K, bit north seems about right.   Will definately be better on Monday.

Thoughts:

1. Another good performance from Valour. Controlled the majority of the play, defended reasonably well, and a couple of moments of Bustos magic teed up the win. Things are coming together but the goal now is 3rd place.

2. Can't put away the easy chances but keep scoring gems and pens. Can Valour keep that up?

3. Rob Gale FINALLY benches Thomas and plays his best defence!! Thomas comes on late and was running away from challenges and running to the goal line instead of marking someone as the ball pinged around Valour's box.

4. Le Bourhis made a bad tactical decision to allow HFX an angled chance but it was good to see him and Mitter discussing it. Other than that, very solid performance. Much better in the air than Thomas.

5. Ohin was solid as a rock. Still has the odd brain cramp and gives the ball away but this back three (Ohin, Mitter, Le Bourhis) was clearly working.

6. Why does Mitter always seem to end up on the pitch in a crumpled heap? And then make a miraculous recovery.

7. The Trench was fabulous!

8. Louis Beland-Goyette had another very strong match. Valour seem to thrive under his captaincy.

9. Paolucci oozes class but has his limitations. Lovely exchange with Bustos for the winner.

10. Great to see Janssens get another shut out but what the hell was he doing scooping that one back into play for HFX to hit the post?! Big save in the second half off Skublak.

11. Galvis is making that left wing back position his own. What happens when Murrell returns from suspension?

12. Gutierrez absolutely refuses to shoot during open play but takes Valour's free kicks. That is just plain weird. Very skillful player but FFS SHOOT!

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Valour MOTM: Bustos

Bustos has to get it for the two goals but Louis Beland-Goyette also had an outstanding match. Lots of other very good performances worthy of mention but those were the top two for me.

Has to get MOTM of course but thought he was fighting it all a bit in the 1st half.  Louis is turning into the teams player of the year.  To my mind anyway.  Think the late season additions have helped the cause to be honest, Galan improves everyone around him. 

Thought Skublak had a hell of a match.  Right proper pain in the arse that one. 

Tweaking a teams midfield who have been unbeaten in last two games ( after 5 consecutive losses) was the problem for HFX as they couldn’t pass with any fluency .

Posted (edited)

In the battle for worst CPL side of the inaugural season HFX may now have the edge on Valour. Valour leads in the fall table (by 5 points) and on goal difference (0 to -11), and combined table (by 3 points) and combined season goal difference (by 7 goals). In the Wanderers' column is their 2 point advantage in the spring season. The only thing keeping me from saying they're clearly the caboose is how comprehensively they beat Valour in the Voyageurs Cup matches.

Edited by jonovision

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

Thoughts:

1. Another good performance from Valour. Controlled the majority of the play, defended reasonably well, and a couple of moments of Bustos magic teed up the win. Things are coming together but the goal now is 3rd place.

2. Can't put away the easy chances but keep scoring gems and pens. Can Valour keep that up?

3. Rob Gale FINALLY benches Thomas and plays his best defence!! Thomas comes on late and was running away from challenges and running to the goal line instead of marking someone as the ball pinged around Valour's box.

4. Le Bourhis made a bad tactical decision to allow HFX an angled chance but it was good to see him and Mitter discussing it. Other than that, very solid performance. Much better in the air than Thomas.

5. Ohin was solid as a rock. Still has the odd brain cramp and gives the ball away but this back three (Ohin, Mitter, Le Bourhis) was clearly working.

6. Why does Mitter always seem to end up on the pitch in a crumpled heap? And then make a miraculous recovery.

7. The Trench was fabulous!

8. Louis Beland-Goyette had another very strong match. Valour seem to thrive under his captaincy.

9. Paolucci oozes class but has his limitations. Lovely exchange with Bustos for the winner.

10. Great to see Janssens get another shut out but what the hell was he doing scooping that one back into play for HFX to hit the post?! Big save in the second half off Skublak.

11. Galvis is making that left wing back position his own. What happens when Murrell returns from suspension?

12. Gutierrez absolutely refuses to shoot during open play but takes Valour's free kicks. That is just plain weird. Very skillful player but FFS SHOOT!

Trying to prevent the corner was my guess. Worked out this time but please don't do that again. Honourable mention for MOTM for me, Made some big saves to preserve the win.

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

Is this where you'd expect Murrell to slot in when available? Even when we were playing a back four he didn't spend a lot of time on the left. Isn't it more likely Gale takes time away from Le Bourhis or Ohin (or Thomas or Mitter who have also been benched a few times lately) and use Murrell within the back three? This isn't to say he should, but it seems the sort of thing he would do.

I actually liked Murrell's contributions going forward when he played a few games as a right back, so I guess there's a chance he could do well in a similar role on his natural side.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Is this where you'd expect Murrell to slot in when available? Even when we were playing a back four he didn't spend a lot of time on the left. Isn't it more likely Gale takes time away from Le Bourhis or Ohin (or Thomas or Mitter who have also been benched a few times lately) and use Murrell within the back three? This isn't to say he should, but it seems the sort of thing he would do.

I actually liked Murrell's contributions going forward when he played a few games as a right back, so I guess there's a chance he could do well in a similar role on his natural side.

We seem to have concluded the "Murrell is a centre back" experiment and not a moment too soon. And since his suspension we have added Le Bourhis, who clearly IS a centre back.

He is left footed so left back would be his natural position but there is no way he was going to displace Arguiñarena. So right back it was. Square peg, round hole. But in a 3-5-2 we have Gutierrez playing right wing back and Murrell has the same problem there that he had with Arguiñarena.

I suppose you could put him on the outside in a back three, but Ohin has really been doing a job there and you can't have two midgets in your back three.

Which, in a 3-5-2, leaves him battling Galvis for the left wing back position.

Seeing Thomas finally dropped for better players leaves me hopeful that Gale is finally learning to play his best team rather than his favourites.