Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Aug 24, 2019 - Pacific vs. Valour

Just now, Lofty said:

Really? I've seen him go down quite often. Sorry if I offended you with "pussy". Does "weak man" work any better? I think he showed a serious lack of physical and mental fortitude in going down so easily under such apparently innocuous contact.

Admittedly I only saw a quick replay so I could be wrong but it didn't look like a Mike Tyson knock out punch to me.

I just don't think one has much choice in the matter when getting flattedne by a 220 pound man, but we obviously disagree.

Valour were good enough to win and probably the better side on the afternoon but lost, which has happened too many times this year. This is, however, much better than losing when being outclassed, which has also happened too many times this year.

Just now, jonovision said:

I just don't think one has much choice in the matter when getting flattedne by a 220 pound man, but we obviously disagree.

Ha ha! If that's all it takes to flatten him then he is a p... weak man! 😁

Breaking News! Unprecedented! Gale blames ref for Valour loss!

"I feel like we've had it taken away from us".

https://canpl.ca/article/im-furious-valours-gale-fumes-after-controversial-loss-to-pacific

No word yet on whether Gale thinks it was the ref or Petrasso who failed to convert that late golden opportunity for Valour. Or whether it was the ref or Marcus Haber who beat Skylar Thomas all ends up to head the equalizer! 😂

Love the excuses. Very entertaining. But a little more originality would be appreciated.

Why are people pleased that Baldisimo was sent off for that reaction, did he say something offensive to the ref? 

It just seemed like a bit of frustration after a horrible call, but maybe there was more to it.  I really hope there’s not a suspension added because it looked a clean tackle that would have sent Pacific away on a 3 on 2. 

Was at the game too. Agree the ref was terrible for both sides but definitely do not agree that this is gives support to bringing in VAR. VAR should only be brought in if, and once, the quality of referring is well above what we saw yesterday.  There was already well over 5 minutes of stoppage in the second half (didn’t see the board and didn’t hear an announcement). Can you imagine how disjointed the play would have been with VAR combined with this joker?  VAR is not there to fix inept.

On another note, the stadium is really coming together. Sat in the new stands right behind the goal halfway up. Great vantage point. The Langford mayor Stew Young is a total blowhard and shouldn’t be given a mic for as long as he was, but if he can get the hydro pole moved and the fourth side is completed for next year, Westhills will be sweet. 

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Aside from the usual complaints about the venue (TV camera angle too low, turf too damn shiny), I'm really impressed by how this stadium is coming along. Looking forward to seeing it in its final form.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why are people pleased that Baldisimo was sent off for that reaction, did he say something offensive to the ref? 

It just seemed like a bit of frustration after a horrible call, but maybe there was more to it.  I really hope there’s not a suspension added because it looked a clean tackle that would have sent Pacific away on a 3 on 2. 

As Baldisimo walked off, you could see Gonzalez say something to him with a finger wag, and then give him a shove off the pitch.  It looks like Gonzalez thought he had done something wrong, so perhaps he did say something dumb to the ref.  

Edited by MrsC
removed gif since it isn't working

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think it's beyond a doubt that he said something to earn the card. I think in general many fans are tired of players taking liberties in their interactions with match officials. Crowding and fingerwagging after the most inconsequential or obvious decisions. Michael Bradley is a prime example of this. Cracking down hard on this could make our game better.

I like how Larson thinks it ok for Paulucci to go over ("forwards are trained to avoid injury, of course he goes over easy") and then complains that LBG goes over to easy on the baldisimo challenge.  

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think it's beyond a doubt that he said something to earn the card. I think in general many fans are tired of players taking liberties in their interactions with match officials. Crowding and fingerwagging after the most inconsequential or obvious decisions. Michael Bradley is a prime example of this. Cracking down hard on this could make our game better.

The call was neither obvious or inconsequential. It took away an odd man rush in the dying minutes of a one goal game. And it was the wrong call. How it was possibly deserving of a yellow is beyond me. To then throw a player off for showing some frustration is extremely harsh in my mind

27 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The call was neither obvious or inconsequential. It took away an odd man rush in the dying minutes of a one goal game. And it was the wrong call. How it was possibly deserving of a yellow is beyond me. To then throw a player off for showing some frustration is extremely harsh in my mind

Everyone agrees it was the wrong call but the referee thought it was the right call or he wouldn't have made it. (He was bad, that wasn't even his worst miss on the day). But if you react that way every time a call goes against you, you're going to be putting your team in a hole often. The referee was right to give a yellow for that kind of reaction; we need more officials to do this more often. We've seen "some frustration", we saw it often earlier in the match. This was well beyond. Baldisimo is a young player who will learn from this.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Everyone agrees it was the wrong call but the referee thought it was the right call or he wouldn't have made it. (He was bad, that wasn't even his worst miss on the day). But if you react that way every time a call goes against you, you're going to be putting your team in a hole often. The referee was right to give a yellow for that kind of reaction; we need more officials to do this more often. We've seen "some frustration", we saw it often earlier in the match. This was well beyond. Baldisimo is a young player who will learn from this.

🙄 Unless something obscene was said, you're not going to convince me that a red was deserved on that sequence. The Valour player goes down extremely softly and Baldi yells at him to get up. Big deal. The ref was duped and they made the decision worse by giving two yellows.

Edited by Aird25

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

🙄 Unless something obscene was said, you're not going to convince me that a red was deserved on that sequence. The Valour player goes down extremely softly and Baldi yells at him to get up. Big deal. The ref was duped and they made the decision worse by giving two yellows.

The first yellow was absolutely a mistake. The second was not. The rules about verbal abuse of a referee are very clear, even if they are not enforced often enough. 

I've complained a lot about this particular referee in this thread but I will always take a referee's side when it comes to dissent, or at least until the pendulum has swung totally in the opposite direction from where it is now, where getting in a referee's face after a call is treated as routine (it should literally never happen if players and referees are both professionals).

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

1S panel comments on the controversial moments in the match:

Oi, didn't realize the Haber foul was THAT far ouside the area.  That needs to be looked at, repeatedly, during the officiatings weekly review.  That can't happen again.  Ever.  Wow. 

Paolucci was tripped, I don't know what the Hell Ollie is talking about.  The man changing the camber of his foot to massage the ball away from the oncoming keeper, you know, because he steaming towards the goal line and doesn't want to run out of pitch, isn't Paulocci simulating a foul, it's the dynamic of body movement necessary in achieving the act.  Getting sliced from behind in the penalty area, because the attaching player is shielding the ball from defenders is a penalty.  Or should be.  Don't know what Ollie's talking about.  Terrible.  

Still think Ohin got the ball 1st on that penalty shout but that is close.  50/50 on that one.  Playing with fire there, Rafi. 

Think Larson has it right when he said Skylar was saved by the foul taking out the attacker.  And fair point if a bit unlucky for Pacific. 

See why Gale is a bit off.  I'll swap you a Skylar red card for either the penalty missed or a penalty being awarded for play outside of the box 100% of the time. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Oi, didn't realize the Haber foul was THAT far ouside the area.  That needs to be looked at, repeatedly, during the officiatings weekly review.  That can't happen again.  Ever.  Wow. 

Paolucci was tripped, I don't know what the Hell Ollie is talking about.  The man changing the camber of his foot to massage the ball away from the oncoming keeper, you know, because he steaming towards the goal line and doesn't want to run out of pitch, isn't Paulocci simulating a foul, it's the dynamic of body movement necessary in achieving the act.  Getting sliced from behind in the penalty area, because the attaching player is shielding the ball from defenders is a penalty.  Or should be.  Don't know what Ollie's talking about.  Terrible.  

Still think Ohin got the ball 1st on that penalty shout but that is close.  50/50 on that one.  Playing with fire there, Rafi. 

Think Larson has it right when he said Skylar was saved by the foul taking out the attacker.  And fair point if a bit unlucky for Pacific. 

See why Gale is a bit off.  I'll swap you a Skylar red card for either the penalty missed or a penalty being awarded for play outside of the box 100% of the time. 

Firstly, I would like to point out that all the armchair referees on here, with the benefit of unlimted slo mo replays, can't even agree on the correct call in many cases! 😂

1. Haber: the officials blew that one big time. The foul was way outside the box.

2. Paolucci: seasoned pro that he is, he knew he wasn't getting a chance from there so he played the ball then dragged his right foot so that he would fall over. He was not tripped. If the defender and the keeper had stopped dead in their tracks and stayed two yards away from him he would still have fallen over and looked VERY stupid!

3. Ohin: Clearly got his toe on the ball. Ironically the ref seems to have not realized it and deemed the contact not a foul. I think more refs than not would have deemed it a pen (assuming Ohin had not cleared the ball) but in the end he gave a goal kick instead of a corner and the most important decision (no pen) was correct.

4. Thomas: If it was a foul instead of a handball, wouldn't THAT be denial of a clear scoring opportunity and a red card? The handball was not denial of a scoring opportunity because Campbell was on the ground, not bearing down on goal.

5. Baldisimo: Got sent off for two yellows (very close together). The first yellow could have been for persistent fouling. I can't say for certain but it seems to me he was called a few times prior to that. And even if it was for dissent, a second yellow for then saying something objectionable would be fully justified.

Edited by Lofty

27 minutes ago, Lofty said:

2. Paolucci: seasoned pro that he is, he knew he wasn't getting a chance from there so he played the ball then dragged his right foot so that he would fall over. He was not tripped. If the defender and the keeper had stopped dead in their tracks and stayed two yards away from him he would still have fallen over and looked VERY stupid!

But they didn't.

In the moment they assessed that the immediate danger that play presented required aggressive defending AND required risking Paolucci's trap (as you're describing it).  Although I disagree with it, they guessed right, because there was no penatly called.  However, I wouldn't count on that again in the future.    

And just so I can sound preachy...There's a reason the groundskeepers have been troubled to paint those 44 yard by 18 yard rectangles onto the pitch for the last150 years.  It's all about risk & reward.  That penalty area provides the greatest risk & the greatest reward for both teams and that reality is reflected in the rules because they also included a penalty spot.  Until punishment for simulation became a practice it was worthwhile arguing about how balanced that risk/reward dynamic was but that's a seperate matter.  

Re; Thomas' foul;  Yeah, kinda with you on that one.  Without seeing the field in it's entirety hard to judge pursuit angle and player vectors.  Could have been less clear cut than it seemed on the idiot box.  I can understand why ref's will err on the side of caution when passing out red cards (or calling penalties!) unless they're 110% sure.  Lesser evil sort of thing.   

Feels, unnatural, having these sorts of conversations without a bartop and pint glasses.  ☹️ 

14 hours ago, shorty said:

The Langford mayor Stew Young is a total blowhard and shouldn’t be given a mic for as long as he was...

Yeah, he has done great things for the club but he is a politician. Luckily Premier Horgan read the crowd better and didn't talk as long. ;)