Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Aug 24, 2019 - Pacific vs. Valour

Posted (edited)

The ref has cocked it up again. Penalty given, after a yellow card foul by Haber. Not to mention the missed Valour penalty earlier for a clear handball.

This is beyond the pale.

Edited by jonovision

Just now, Lofty said:

Controversial opinion: the ref has made mistakes but I really don't think he has been that bad.

I think the unprofessionalism of the players and coaches has been a bigger issue.

Paolucci decision: Everyone on TV came around to agreeing it was a penalty. If not a penalty it has to be a corner.

Pacific claim against Ohin: Not a penalty, but has to be a corner.

Thomas situation: has to be red, but clear foul by Campbell to put him on the ground.

Don't recall who, but Valour played in a ball that was clearly handled.

Pacific red card: not even remotely a foul, but good on the ref for booking for dissent.

Ohin injury: extremely obvious stomp

Pacific penalty: Haber with a knock out elbow to Mitter. Also the foul wasn't in the area.

Numerous uncalled fouls under the "let them play" BS that is terrible for the league.

Assistants being sent off: Unprofessional, but all the rest of this crap came first.

Just now, Lofty said:

Again, I thought that Valour edged it on the play. Too bad we are not very good at scoring goals but quite good at conceding them!

Again, two goals against out of nothing. Two strikes off the post. Not our day.

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

Controversial opinion: the ref has made mistakes but I really don't think he has been that bad.

I think the unprofessionalism of the players and coaches has been a bigger issue.

He hasn't had a good day imo but it's the reason so many top leagues have gone VAR. A lot rests on his shoulders and he didn't get great support today. 

There have been some big calls that he has probably got wrong, IMO. I can understand the non penalties but they have to be corners at least. He has lost control in the second half especially but as you say he isn't responsible for the players and in this case, coaches professionalism. 

In terms of the red. I am all for it if the dissent was worthy. If every ref gave a yellow and subsequent red for backchatting, pressuring or crowding the officials it simply wouldn't happen and would stop almost immediately. I have been all for that for as long as I can remember. Leagues don't want the resulting embarrassment of cards in the fair play league but it is a necessary evil and could have been nipped in the butt years ago. 

^ I think if the referee hadn't lost control of the match earlier, Baldisimo wouldn't have lost it. Not an excuse but you could see it coming. I agree with punishing any sort of dissent that is demonstrative.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Paolucci decision: Everyone on TV came around to agreeing it was a penalty. If not a penalty it has to be a corner.

Well I disagree.

Pacific claim against Ohin: Not a penalty, but has to be a corner.

Agreed. He missed Ohin's toe touching the ball.

Thomas situation: has to be red, but clear foul by Campbell to put him on the ground.

Only if Thomas was the last man back. Which he wasn't because defenders were getting back.

Don't recall who, but Valour played in a ball that was clearly handled.

Garcia. If handled it should have been a pen. Personally, I couldn't tell.

Pacific red card: not even remotely a foul, but good on the ref for booking for dissent.

Incorrect call on the foul. Correct call on the sending off.

Ohin injury: extremely obvious stomp

Strongly disagree on the "obvious" bit.

Pacific penalty: Haber with a knock out elbow to Mitter. Also the foul wasn't in the area.

Meh, two players running together and there was contact. Knock out elbow? Don't make me laugh!

Numerous uncalled fouls under the "let them play" BS that is terrible for the league.

Lots of very good refs do this.

Assistants being sent off: Unprofessional, but all the rest of this crap came first.

So, the ref's decisions to send off assistants was correct.

See bolded replies above.

Posted (edited)

Knock out elbow? Don't make me laugh!

He was quite literally concussed. Wasn't that apparent to everyone else watching? Surprising to hear this from this board's foremost Mitter fan.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

First time watching on my phone, for some reason without volume. So maybe missed details. 

Messy game and very few standout players, for me esp Petrasso and Blasco. Keepers were solid I prefer Village by a mile for PFC.

Agree with some here the ref was not terrible.  Of the two penalty claims before the goals I think Pacific had a better argument.  Did not see the hands some refer to.

As for the Pacific 2nd goal not one of those images was sufficient. We did not see the penalty at all which makes me wonder how some Valour fans can so confidently comment on it. As for that Haber play where he gets his arm up, I could imagine that on VAR would get the play called back.

Baldissimo was screwed over twice but the problem is to risk that send off when you're leading. 

As a PFC fan glad for the well fought win. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Knock out elbow? Don't make me laugh!

He was quite literally concussed. Wasn't that apparent to everyone else watching? Surprising to hear this from this board's foremost Mitter fan.

Really? Did they announce that or is it your diagnosis? 😁

Looked like a pussy crying for a foul to me.

I'm not particularly a "Mitter fan" but I do think he has been our best CB. Which is not necessarily saying much.

I'm not particularly a "Mitter fan" but I do think he has been our best CB. Which is not necessarily saying much.

I'm not on board with the slur used in this post, but also that kind of reaction does not fit at all with what we've seen of Mitter as a player to date, no matter how poor I think he often has been. He certainly appeared groggy before getting up.

I'm sure he got hit in the nose and it hurt. Haber is that much taller and an arm was up but he was playing the ball at least,  actually made a strong header to put it into space. Since we saw one repeat of the play it's hard to say. 

Posted (edited)

Think both sides got beat up a bit by the ref'ing but have to admit I'm feeling more hard done by.

If the forearm to Mitter's face isn't a foul, that one that lead to the eventual penalty call against Ohin, then can I return the dozen or so yellow cards I've collected over the years for doing pretty much the same thing?  I know I can't give back the hundreds of fouls, but how about just the cards?  No?

Forget about the calls that'll be talked about for the next few days, there were some NASTIES that were let go more than once in that 2nd half of that match.  LOL.  To be fair to the ref though, whether it's soccer or ice hockey or gridiron football, it's hard to keep the players from trying to police each other if they have a mind to.   

Bloody Haber.  Well, if you're bigger and stronger be bigger and stronger because the quicker players aren't going to slow down just because you can't keep up. 

What the Hell got into Baldisimo?  Idiot. 

Hey Janssens, you let in a PK.  YOU SUCK! 

Pacific's frame sounding like a tuning fork there twice today and a couple of smartly blocked shots too!  Match could have gone either way to be sure. 

Building looks good!  A bit helter-skelter but looks a good venue.  Especially with a bunch of supports filling it out.  Will look even better next season when the broadcast platforms are more than 3 feet off the ground. 

One last thing.  GAWD DAMNIT. 

Edited by Cheeta

I'm not on board with the slur used in this post, but also that kind of reaction does not fit at all with what we've seen of Mitter as a player to date, no matter how poor I think he often has been. He certainly appeared groggy before getting up.

Really? I've seen him go down quite often. Sorry if I offended you with "pussy". Does "weak man" work any better? I think he showed a serious lack of physical and mental fortitude in going down so easily under such apparently innocuous contact.

Admittedly I only saw a quick replay so I could be wrong but it didn't look like a Mike Tyson knock out punch to me.