Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Aug 24, 2019 - Pacific vs. Valour

Posted (edited)

Match is live on OneSoccer at 3pm PDT (6pm EDT).

The last meeting at IGF ended in a 2-2 draw with a late pen earning a point for Valour.

The season series is tied, with Valour winning their first ever match at Pacific 2-1, and Pacific subsequently gaining a win and a draw at IGF.

Valour are coming off an emotional come-from-behind home win over FCE on Monday night, ending a dire run of seven home matches without a win, but Pacific have gained seven points in their last four matches and would leap frog Valour in the standings with a win.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

It will be interesting to see what formation Valour use in this match.

The partially enforced (by Arguiñarena's injury) switch from 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-2 in the second half worked a treat against the Eddies. But was that the result of a rather silly push in the box and a worldy by LBG or 3-5-2 being Valour's silver bullet? I think it would be quite dangerous to assume the latter as it has been used before by Valour and has been nothing of the sort! But have the players suddenly figured it out? Not likely, but we will know soon enough.

For my money, Valour's defenders are simply not good enough to handle three at the back. 4-2-3-1 or even 4-4-2 suits Valour's personnel better than 3-5-2.

Prediction: Pacific 2 Valour 0.

Edited by Lofty

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Agree with everything except the prediction. Wondering what's up with Mitter and if his absence Monday was due to rest, performance, or injury.

2-2.

Mitter had a bit of a stinker against Forge and I think Le Bourhis did enough in his first two matches to show that he should at least be in the argument.

It is a little harsh to drop somebody after one poor match, if that is what happened, particularly the guy who has arguably been Valour's best CB, but perhaps Gale just wanted to get a look at another CB pairing. And I can't say why but the switch certainly brought out a much improved performance from Thomas. Le Bourhis is also the youngster and may therefore be presumed to have the most potential. Watch this space!

AFAIK Pacific has a healthy roster so I'll be curious to see who the front three are - lots of options to choose from.

Not sure which way this match will go but I'm calling for at least three goals.

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

Agree with everything except the prediction. Wondering what's up with Mitter and if his absence Monday was due to rest, performance, or injury.

2-2.

I heard it was a just a decision to rest him.

Posted (edited)

Gonna be another beautiful day here on the coast. Any away fans in town please come join us for the tailgate in the parking lot to the west of the stadium (across the road from the lake, bring your suits if you want to take a dip.) :)

UPDATE: Weather network says it should be clear this afternoon. ;)

Edited by ted
updated weather

Posted (edited)

Lots of changes to the lineup from Monday, most forced it would seem. Injuries are back to being a big issue for Valour, playing with an undermanned bench for the 4th or 5th time this year. LB and RB are both players playing out of position, Galvis gets in the XI for the first time in months, Galan apparently still injured. Where's Attardo?

I would have started Sacramento in the #10. I am curious to see if the team does in fact line up in a 4-2-3-1 or something different.

Based on all the changes and important injuries, I'll revise my prediction to 3-1 Pacific.

ETA:

Thinking about the short bench, Valour do have healthy bodies. Pena and Muenkat both played last week and are surely healthy. What's going on?

Edited by jonovision

1 minute ago, narduch said:

We talk a lot about salary cap but the roster sizes need tone increased too

I don't think that's the issue. They do have other healthy bodies. I'm wondering if Wade Miller and Co. (Bombers management) are being tight with funds (just like they tried to get away without repainting the field last Saturday?) and forcing Gale to travel short.

Gosh on the screen le bourhis still in the 11 in a 4-2-3-1 and commentators say its actually a back 3 and they write galvins instead of galvis..gotta do better onesoccer

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think that's the issue. They do have other healthy bodies. I'm wondering if Wade Miller and Co. (Bombers management) are being tight with funds (just like they tried to get away without repainting the field last Saturday?) and forcing Gale to travel short.

That would be unfortunate 

Valour's midgets a real threat on those corners!

Teams don't care if the give Valour a corner. Usually just go short and make it equivalent to a throw in anyway.

23 minutes ago, Lofty said:

The glare off the pitch makes it hard to watch.

Been the case since day one vs Halifax. Commentators mentioned the mayor has promised they are removing the electric pole (or whatever it is) by 2020 that is stopping them from elevating the cameras. Once they elevate the cameras that should help the glare..hopefully.

Valour getting the shaft a bit with decisions so far.