Japan vs Canada, Shizuoka City, Sunday October 6th 2019

http://www.jfa.jp/women/news/00022437/

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-women-s-national-team-travel-to-japan-to-face-the-former-world-champions-p162331-preview-1&language=en?fbclid=IwAR10mGhbHuFy-rmub63fCcFLMuTstEQ-6hxdCwSfvazXUQ3ZW_O7AUDvyQU

The FIFA window is from September 30th to October 8th, so I assume, based on the travel involved, that we will only play one game during this window.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 1 month later...

Super disappointing display from Cdn women, IMHO.

For me, the biggest problem is there needs to be a better midfield. Fleming doesn’t show confidence, doesn’t close down players with any conviction, seems to avoid any physical contact and was rarely on the ball or in a spot to receive a pass. This is not good enough for an attacking midfielder at this level. Technical ability is not enough if you don’t have the desire.

are they not inspired to play for this coach? What is missing here?

I didn’t see the game and haven’t followed closely. When did they arrive in Japan? They say you need about a day per time zone to adjust. If they travelled 12 time zones or so and played 2 or 3 days later it wouldn’t be surprising if they lacked energy. Is this a possible explanation or are we just continuing to fall further behind the top nations?

They were there for about a week. So, standard adjustment time for athletes.

This was the same Canada we saw during the World Cup. Only difference was that in going for the equalizer, they left themselves too open and formation was probably too unbalanced post the subs. 

Otherwise, there was no offensive punch. The dynamism seen under Herdman has disappeared. 

Midfield is a mess. Fleming has stalled and rarely sees the ball. Sinclair is becoming slower and her touches are off too many times. To compound the issue, KHM plays too many defensive mids. 

Huitema isn't also Sinclair yet where she can score on the 1 chance she gets.

Highlights, well, Japan's highlights 'cause there wasn't much from Canada

Looking at Japan, they move the ball so well and their vision is incredible.  I don't see Canada having the ability to hold or pass at that level.  I didn't see enough to know where the defensive breakdowns really started but our defence looked slow, slow to react and unable to keep up with the Japanese.  Was KHM playing three at defence?

Edited by Patrick
added thoughts

17 hours ago, Patrick said:

Highlights, well, Japan's highlights 'cause there wasn't much from Canada

Looking at Japan, they move the ball so well and their vision is incredible.  I don't see Canada having the ability to hold or pass at that level.  I didn't see enough to know where the defensive breakdowns really started but our defence looked slow, slow to react and unable to keep up with the Japanese.  Was KHM playing three at defence?

They started with 4 in the back. At times went to 5 when Quinn dropped back. Then in the second half, they went to 3 and they allowed 3 goals.

There was apparently a closed door match on Monday. JFA reports it as 0-0.