Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Aug 19, 2019 - Valour vs. FC Edmonton

Posted (edited)

Match is at 7pm CDT (8pm EDT) and can be viewed live on OneSoccer.

Last meeting in Edmonton ended 0-0 after a prolonged thunderstorm delay that saw 1S fail to broadcast or even record the match.

The season series between the teams is even, with FCE winning when they visited Winnipeg in their season opener and Valour grabbing a win and a draw in Edmonton. FCE will have the apparent "away advantage" this time.

Valour's Jordan Murrell will serve the 3rd of a rumoured 6 match suspension related to his sending off in Halifax.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Valour team news: No new injuries that I am aware of. And it has been hinted that most or all of Valour's injured could be ready for Monday, except of course for Golubar who is out for the season and Farago who has a broken finger. Thus a possible return for Musse, Sacramento, Thomas, and Galvis.

After being on the bench on Saturday, I'm 99% sure Thomas returns for this one, replacing Le Bourhis. I also suspect we may see Sacramento again, who had a few strong performances in attacking mid before getting injured. Gale seems to be trying to field a settled team so I do not expect to see the wholesale changes we have seen before. I think his big problem right now is what to do with Gutierrez.

Projected Valour line up:

Formation: 4-2-3-1.

Goal: Janssens;

Defence (R-L): Garcia, Thomas, Mitter, Arguiñarena;

Holding Mid: Galán, Beland-Goyette;

Attacking Mid: Petrasso, Sacramento, Bustos;

Forward: Paolucci.

Edited by Lofty

Ali Musse was walking around the concourse in street clothes prior to the match on Saturday. I don't think this is valuable information one way or another as to his injury status. Wade Miller, dressed all in black, was also observing affairs.

Prediction: Valour 0 FCE 2

The season series is currently even. That can't possibly continue!

Valour need to put their best finishers out there. Bustos' mis-kick after Petrasso had set him up perfectly in the last match just illustrates how bad it has been.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Prediction: Valour 0 FCE 2

The season series is currently even. That can't possibly continue!

Valour need to put their best finishers out there. Bustos' mis-kick after Petrasso had set him up perfectly in the last match just illustrates how bad it has been.

I think it will be Valour 2 FCE 1, with both Valour goals coming in the second half.

TBH, last game against Forge I thought Valour looked the better team. They were dangerous most of the match, and really only fell apart after the non-offside goal. Also, my mind is in next-year territory, so I'm interested in seeing how the younguns progress over the next two months. 

Posted (edited)

Changes from Saturday:

• Thomas IN, Mitter OUT
  • Ohin IN, Galan OUT
  • Sacramento IN, Gutierrez OUT

None of Mitter, Galan or Gutierrez even make the bench, although the lineup graphic for the last game had some of the bench listed incorrectly so who knows (for instance, Attardo played in the second half but wasn't listed as a sub earlier).

Mitter had one of his worst performances of the year Saturday and Galan and Gutierrez weren't particularly effective but I suspect these changes are more to do with rest and the short turnaround than just being dropped. Thomas was always likely to play this match given the height of the Eddies.

Musse, Galvis, and Pena all in the 18 for the first time in a while.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

Valour down to two healthy defenders, but up 3-1. Weird one.

What a difference in the second half. The formation change was forced with the injury to Arguinarena, and they had guys out of position all over that back 5 (at the end of the match, 5 foot something Ohin was playing CB with two forwards playing wingback) but it worked.

What's with Edmonton though? Total let off after they went up.

Edited by jonovision

Looked like a good crowd, 6379 according to soccerway.  I think maybe the CFL lines tricked some Blue Bomber fans into the stadium.  Pretty good crowd, considering they just played on Saturday.  A big win, now let the celebration roll.  Or maybe back to the debbie downer drum beat.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

@Cheeta and @Lofty are usually so vocal after a loss, I feel like this big win might have left them speechless!

To be fair to them, they (unlike me, about whom you could probably say the same) are probably at the match tonight.

Curious to see what @Lofty will have to say about Thomas' performance tonight.

Edited by jonovision