Canadians abroad: August 16 - 22, 2019

jordan

33 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Currently 2-1 for Red Star in the 60th. Borjan let in a a very hard but reachable goal. Unsure of any saves he had made

Couple nice ones near the end of the first half.  Right now a lot of pressure from the Swiss but no decent shots.  

Heart in mouth moment about 80' - comes for a free kick, runs into the back of his defender, gets stranded in no man's land.  But ball cleared off the line.

Update - Finishes 2-2.  Good away result, hopefully they can tighten up at home. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

David was playing attacking mid, behind the two forwards.  He would also drift over to the flanks depending on the play.  His play making skills would be wasted as a pure striker.  For the go ahead goal, he got the hockey assist, taking the ball deep down the right side and then cutting it back to a player at the edge of the box to crossed it in for the header.

Another thing I noticed is that David tracks back really well.  He lost the ball near the right edge of the box and he went stride for stride with the attacker deep into his own end before a pretty cynical foul chopping him down to earn a yellow card.

I think Gent will play two big target forwards in the Cavallini mold with David either playing as a recessed forward behind them or an out-and-out attacking mid who'll do his share of the dirty defensive work.

For the National Team, if Larin ever regains his form, he can team with Cavallini with David playing on the top of a diamond mid.  Aird and MAK are locks as well as Davies as LB or mid depending on the opposition.

Edited by Snowcrash

54 minutes ago, Dicdan said:

i wonder when herdman will call hemati to CanMNT

Well I’ve watched a few games he actually played in and am not sure who he would be ahead of now, and if he can’t call Cordova what makes you think Hemati will be called

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Well I’ve watched a few games he actually played in and am not sure who he would be ahead of now, and if he can’t call Cordova what makes you think Hemati will be called

plays for a giant in asia and starting 11 of last AFC Champions League final. Surely would be useful if a MLS (and obviously canpl one) team would signing him. IMO, of course.

Edited by Dicdan

8 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

For the National Team, if Larin ever regains his form, he can team with Cavallini with David playing on the top of a diamond mid.  Aird and MAK are locks as well as Davies as LB or mid depending on the opposition.

IMO that would be a waste of some of the attacking prowess we got right now. We have wingers, so we need to use them (we could even put David on the right side as demonstrated). 3 strikers upfront and one attacking mid (Arfield).

14 hours ago, Ivan said:

Gent win 2-1.  David did not score.

He got the "hockey assist" on the 2nd goal. Good awareness to create space and pass back to the open player who sent in a nice open cross for the goal.... instead of forcing in the cross himself, found the better outlet.  Simple things like that really make me love his entire game.

* edit already mentioned by Snowcrash above*

Edited by apbsmith
Already mentioned

• jordan unpinned this topic