Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Aug 17, 2019 - Valour vs. Forge

Posted (edited)

Match is at 5pm CDT (6pm EDT) on OneSoccer.

Last meeting was in Hamilton and ended 3-1 Forge, with a highlight reel late 3rd for Forge.

Forge 3-0-0 vs. Valour so far this season. But they won't have Murrell knocking in the winner for them this time because he is suspended and will miss the 2nd match of his rumoured 6 match suspension.

Kadell Thomas is suspended for Forge after accumulating 4 bookings.

Edited by Lofty

Pity I'm going to miss this one (home renovations suck!). I think Valour will show quite well - Forge is starting to have the season catch up to them and Valour is probably fielding their best starting XI this year.

I think a draw is most likely

I have two predictions.

1. If Skylar Thomas starts for Valour: Valour 0 Forge 2.

2. If Skylar Thomas does not start for Valour: Valour 1 Forge 0.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

New whipping boy. I like it.

Nah, it's still a tie but when one is suspended and thus not doing any damage, he gets a pass.

I calls 'em how I sees 'em. ūüėä

(And results tend to be more objective. No Murrell or Thomas, finally win after eleven failures.)

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Valour team news:

It sounds as though most of Valour's wounded are close to being able to return to action. Musse has been out for a while and may be on the bench but is unlikely to start. Sacramento has also been out for a couple of weeks and might be ready for this one but again, probably not a starter. Garcia limped off against York and probably doesn't start. After a steady debut by Le Bourhis last week against York, Thomas is likely to be given the extra two days of recovery and return on Monday. I have no idea what is going on with Galvis, who did not appear to travel to York. Farago's broken finger will keep him sidelined for a while yet and Golubar is out for the season. Ohin returns from a one game suspension for yellow card accumulation.

Have we seen an unchanged Valour line up even once this season? If so, I don't remember it. Regardless, Gale seems to be trying for a more settled team now rather than the crazy tinkerman changes we have seen previously and 4-2-3-1 seems to be the formation of choice.

Attardo seems to thrive at IGF so he may get the start over Carreiro.

Once again, Valour are able to field a strong team; arguably their strongest. They need to go for it here. If they are to have any hope of hauling themselves into the Fall Season title race, this is a match they must win.

Possible Valour line up:

Goal: Janssens.

Defence (R-L): Gutierrez, Le Bourhis, Mitter, Argui√Īarena;

Holding Mid: Gal√°n, Beland-Goyette;

Attacking Mid: Petrasso, Bustos, Attardo;

Forward: Paolucci.

Edited by Lofty
Spelling error

^ Think that's the lineup 9 times out of 10 if Gale could have his way.  Le Bourhis is of course still an unknown so displacing Thomas full time has to be speculation.  Not writting Murrell out of the squad at all at this point either HOWEVER once he seves his sentence good luck to Murrell working his way back into the squad again this year, we'll be rapidly running out of dates by then to mess about with the squad again by then. 

Posted (edited)

Up to this point, both Murrell and Thomas have played whenever they have been fit. Gale seems to have hung his hat on the ability of these two under performers and here we are at 4-3-11; and half way through August we have exactly one home win.

Possible curve balls to tomorrow's line up:

> Ohin in at RB and Gutierrez forward instead of Attardo.

> Carreiro instead of Attardo.

> 4-4-2 to get Paolucci and Attardo playing together up front. That would surprise Forge. (Sacramento comes in at CM and Gal√°n gets a rest.)

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

^ Ohin as a back?  Having trouble visualizing that in a positive way.  Think him and Galan are going to share duties going forward depending on the needs of the time.  Really, really liking the samples we've seen of LBG and Galan, which I think has done wonders to reinforce the last line.  But Ohin has that reactionary eye to get into or create those aggressive counters to boost the attacking side of the field.  So, maybe not a bad place to be for both men.  Galan is 33 and the turf isn't getting any better at IGF.

Sort of read my mind on gravitating towards a 4-4-2 if just to get Attardo and Paolucci partnering more directly.  Think they could make space for each other and opportunities for those trailing their movements.  

Good feeling about today.  This could be a crazy good week for Valour if all the stars align. 

KNOCK ON WOOD.

Edited by Cheeta
jinx counter-spell

Posted (edited)

Wasn't Ohin's first ever start for Valour at RB? In Halifax? Did quite well as I recall and had a nice little run in the team after that.

He is built like a full back and his attacking instincts could make him a very good one if he also defends well and crosses well.

Edited by Lofty

13 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

Ouch football lines :(

Positive the league pledged no game would be played with football lines.

The sidelines look particularly bad.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

What happened here? Couldn't the groundskeepers work overtime to complete the job? People make snarky remarks about Cavalry's pitch and York9's empty stand but this is the worst looking  pitch in CPL history.

Valour barely win any matches and now their stadium looks as bad as their players.ūü§Ę

Edited by red card

33 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

Remember that as well. Questions definitely need to be asked so they don't get the impression that this is acceptable:

I'd be okay with it if they at least acknowledge it and apologize for it and pledge it's a one time thing; I can appreciate that they've had a short turn around with the NFL exhibition game.

5 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

I'd be okay with it if they at least acknowledge it and apologize for it and pledge it's a one time thing; I can appreciate that they've had a short turn around with the NFL exhibition game.

I'm sure it will look exactly the same on Monday when the face Edmonton 

1 hour ago, red card said:

What happened here? Couldn't the groundskeepers work overtime to complete the job? 

Think the problem might be that there is a U-sports team that uses the stadium at this time of year in addition to the Blue Bombers, who will have started their preseason training. A fuss definitely needs to be kicked up. It's worrying that the latest pictures from Langford also showed a gridiron painted over the soccer lines.