Possible Roster for Cuba

Obinna

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Why is this game being played in the Cayman Islands? (according to Wikipedia)

"The CONCACAF Nations League match between Cuba and Canada will not be played in Havana, Cuba because the Pedro Marrero Stadium does not meet the minimum requirements set by CONCACAF to host a League A match," a CONCACAF spokesman said Tuesday.

"The decision to play the match in the Cayman Islands was made by the Cuban Football Association and approved by CONCACAF."

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/sports/national_sports/canadian-men-to-face-cuba-in-cayman-islands-due-to/article_c072bd1d-9888-5de1-bb13-08f9017fab07.html

12 minutes ago, gator said:

It sucks there is no Cuba away trip for us that were going to go, how was that stadium ok for WCQ matches in 2012 and Nations League matches more recently?

It is because CONCACAF has forced teams in League A to play in the evening.

During WCQS and CNL qualifiers they could get away with 3pm games and having no proper lights in the stadium.

15 minutes ago, gator said:

It sucks there is no Cuba away trip 

It also is unproductive to have our men play in front of nearly empty stands so often, as they often regularly do in Gold Cups and of course with the closed door friendlies. It's exactly the likes of Havana away in a competitive match that I want our next generation to experience on a regular basis 

5 minutes ago, nolando said:

It also is unproductive to have our men play in front of nearly empty stands so often, as they often regularly do in Gold Cups and of course with the closed door friendlies. It's exactly the likes of Havana away in a competitive match that I want our next generation to experience on a regular basis 

That WCQ match we went to in 2012 was in extreme conditions, the middle of the day in the centre of the city, no breeze and high humidity! It was so hot even for us supporters in the shaded stands, when posters were critical of our team with 10 men getting the result we needed I stated, you had to be there to understand what a good result that was, as you say, it would serve our youngsters well to be exposed to those conditions!

3 hours ago, nolando said:

I know I keep beating this drum, but John Herdman has played exactly ONE away game in CONCACAF that wasn't in the USA.  That was the Nations League qualifier at St. Kitts.  Granted the Cayman Islands is technically away, but is more of a neutral site game so I don't count it.  And this includes his entire tenure as WNT coach.

His first away game outside of USA will be a World Cup Qualifier... unless we get an away friendly somewhere.

I wonder if any of the MLS club teams will request the players to be left home?

With the new MLS playoff format not just making the playoffs but also the seeding is incredibly important. 

Looking at the schedule: 2 TFC games, 1 Orlando game but it's an away vs LAFC (don't see a result for Orlando there). Montreal & Vancouver no game.

Man, so amateur on MLS to try and call themselves a top league and not respect FIFA window.

Edited by apbsmith
Added Vancouver, didnt originally add (out of playoff contention)

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

My thoughts on Hoilett 

Adekugbe should be LB and Davies takeover Hoilett at LW

Sadly we missed out on the best version of Hoilett, back when he was ripping it up with Blackburn. He scored 7 EPL goals in his final season there, which remains his career high in the top flight. His best days are behind him.

That said, a player of his quality can and will contribute. He’s going to continue racking up the goals and assists this cycle. He’s already on six goals - four away from the top 10. At the pace he’s scoring, he may even reach that during nations.

Towards the end of this cycle, we may see him become more of a veteran super sub, but what a guy to have coming off the bench, right? 

Side note on Hoilett: Perhaps he should follow Arfield to Rangers when his contract expires? That’s the kind of signing they make often, a lot of ex English-League players at Rangers.

7 hours ago, RJB said:

And this includes his entire tenure as WNT coach.

On the women's side, I don't think that playing away in CONCACAF is useful. The last WCQ/OQ that we  played outside of the US was in 2010. On the men's side, I do agree that it is worrisome that we haven't played away. 

I for one hope that we get a friendly in Panama since I've mentioned that if Panama wanted to schedule a friendly against CONCACAF opposition to get in the Hex, I'd think that we're the #1 team for them to do that. I wonder if we declined, which wouldn't surprise me the way Herdman talks about willy nilly friendlies. 

On 8/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, Blackdude said:

I don't think you're calling Leutwiler for Cuba. He's the #3 goalkeeper and I think for a match like this, they'll call someone closer like St. Clair or Carducci.

Agreed. And Leutwiler hasn't been getting the playing time.

On 8/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, Obinna said:

What I expect to see: Tabla

Despite Tabla having a rough patch at club level, I think that Cuba is just the opponent needed for him to try and find form again.

I want to see him as a 60th minute sub for both Cuba games.

21 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Agreed. And Leutwiler hasn't been getting the playing time.

Despite Tabla having a rough patch at club level, I think that Cuba is just the opponent needed for him to try and find form again.

I want to see him as a 60th minute sub for both Cuba games.

I think Cuba can give him a chance to impress and build confidence.

I bet the decision for Tabla to return to Montreal was made in part to play his way back on to the national team.

When can we expect a roster announcement? In 2 weeks time is the game (sept 7) 

The international break begins (Sept 2nd and runs until the 10th) 

Really eager to see who the 23 players are.

GK - Leutwiler, LB - Morgan, RB- Godihno, CM - Johnson, MF - Okello, CDM - Hutchinson, FW - Larin and Millar need to be replaced. 

*Carducci, ^Adekugbe, ^James, ^Cordova, *Shome, ^Akindele, *Borges and Laryea need to be the replaces. 

Leutwiler & Morgan - Little to no playing time

Godihno - Big mistakes at the gold cup and has moved to 3.Liga / do not think Herdman will consider that league competitive enough. 

WJ - Utility Player

Okello - Youth player, was a filler spot at the GC. Still to make his mark in the pro game.

Hutchinson - Injured. As well as being 36 year old and Eustaquio committing to us I don’t see how he stays. Our midfield group is strong already. He said he would retire, though he never confirmed. 

Larin - Needs to establish himself at his new club in Belgium

Millar - with less than 300 minutes as a professional, and one start -  has gone back to kilmarnock for a full season loan. The new manager there seems to have a good eye on him, and by early signs he will have a major role this season. Needs continuity !

^ = Re-Call

*= First call up 

Final Prediction: 

GK’s - Borjan, Crepeau, Carducci 

LB - Adekugbe, Cordova

CB - James, Henry, Cornelius, Miller

RB - Brault-Guillard, Laryea

CDM/CM - Arfield, Kaye, Piette, Osorio, Teibert, Shome

W - Davies, Hoilett

FW - Cavallini, David, Akindele, Borges 

| thoughts | 

Shome and Laryea have really earned a call up after impressive play this season in MLS and undisputed starters. Brault-Guillard has done just fine, Adekugbe and James return from injury and club commitments. Cordova can play full back on both sides, and played LB at the beginning of the Chilean primera división. This then keeps MAK in the centre midfield who’s having a MVP type season at LAFC and Davies up front where he should be. Akindele in excellent form

My 23 player roster:

GK: Milan Borjan, Max Crepeau, Marco Carducci

DEF: Doneil Henry, Derek Cornelius, Manjrekar James, Steven Vitoria, Juan Cordova, Sam Adekugbe, Zachary Brault-Guillard

MID: Scott Arfield, Atiba Hutchinson, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Liam Fraser, Shamit Shome, Alphonso Davies, Junior Hoilett

FWD: Jonathan David, Lucas Cavallini, Cyle Larin, Liam Millar, Ballou Tabla, Theo Bair

I left out some of the MLSers who are starters on teams who are fighting for a playoff spot. So no Osorio, Piette, Akindele or Miller. It's a shame that MLS does not provide an adequate break for the FIFA window. I also re-called Steven Vitoria as he has been starting at a very high level recently. First senior call-ups for Shome and Bair.

Edited by Jith12

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm being cynical but is Cuba not an excellent opportunity to cap Okello?

Based on cost, travel, players establish themselves at club early in the year, I think roster spots 16-23 will be heavy North American based. 

USA matches in October will be closer to a true best 23.

7 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm being cynical but is Cuba not an excellent opportunity to cap Okello?

Based on cost, travel, players establish themselves at club early in the year, I think roster spots 16-23 will be heavy North American based. 

USA matches in October will be closer to a true best 23.

Good time to cap him but not to start him imo. We want to rack up goal difference against Cuba so if we split the games with the USA we can go through. For this to happen we want to be starting our best attacking players, but I wouldn’t mind bringing him or Bair on for fresh legs in the 65-70th minute.

I’m surprised everyone has Borjan. I think I’d leave him at his club and bring Crepeau to start and two other NA CPL/MLS/USL guys. Crepeau has deserved a game this year imo. However if we decide to start a young/weak cb mite have to bring Borjan.