D Adekugbe, Miller, Cornelius, James, Henry, Cordova, Layera

M: Arfield, Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Shome, Hoillet, Davies, Borges

F: David, Millar, Cavallini, Akindele

What I expect to see:

GK: Borjan, Crepeau, Leutwiler

D :Adekugbe, Miller, Cornelius, James, Henry, Braut-Guillard, Godinho

M: Arfield, Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Teibert, Hoillet, Davies, Tabla

F: David, Millar, Cavallini, Larin

* Hutchinson and Eustaquio omitted due to injury.

Comments on your expected roster

I thought Henry was out. 

I don't think you're calling Leutwiler for Cuba. He's the #3 goalkeeper and I think for a match like this, they'll call someone closer like St. Clair or Carducci.

Also, I can't see Herdman calling Godinho now that he's playing in 3. Liga when there are better options closer to home.

F: Cavallini, David, Hoilett, Akindele, Borges

M: Hutchinson, Arfield, Kaye, Piette, Osorio

FB: Davies, Adekugbe, Cordova, Laryea, ZBG

CB: Henry, James, Cornelius, Miller, Vitoria

K: Borjan, Crepeau, Carducci

Out from GC Squad: Leutwiler, Morgan, Godinho, Johnson, Tiebert, Okello, Larin, Millar

IN: Akindele, Borges, Adekugbe, Cordova, Laryea, James, Vitoria, Carducci

12 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

F: Cavallini, David, Hoilett, Akindele, Borges

M: Hutchinson, Arfield, Kaye, Piette, Osorio

FB: Davies, Adekugbe, Cordova, Laryea, ZBG

CB: Henry, James, Cornelius, Miller, Vitoria

K: Borjan, Crepeau, Carducci

Out from GC Squad: Leutwiler, Morgan, Godinho, Johnson, Tiebert, Okello, Larin, Millar

IN: Akindele, Borges, Adekugbe, Cordova, Laryea, James, Vitoria, Carducci

I like this.... My only two difference are the following. 

1)Liam Millar called everytime since Herdman been at the helm, I would continue to call Liam through the fall and Nations League, then re-evaluate. 

2) I don't agree with the Vitoria call. I know we are short on defender depth but for me he won't be starting for us anymore. 

* Not sure we call 10 defenders, especially vs Cuba. Could use that spot for Borges, Shome or a complete off the grid defender for a defender gets a look in camp. *

I could also see and hope Eustaquio will be called. He is doing training as per his 50k instagram followers, why not call him in to train + integrate with the squad? Realistically, max 15-16 of the 23 called see the field, great opportunity for him to gel with the lads.

Edited by apbsmith

F: Cava, David, Millar, Akindele

W: Hoilett, Davies, 

M: Arfield, Kaye, Piette, Osorio, Teibert

De: Adekugbe, Cordova, James, Henry, Cornelius, Straith, ZBG, Miller, Laryea

GK: Borjan, Crepeau, Oxner

Haven't put Hutchison or Eustaquio because of injuries and can’t see us making Hutch travel to play Cuba after just being injured. Also included Oxner because there’s no point in calling leutwiler to train with us instead of his team. Oxner has had a good year with hfx so far and most likely of the possible CPL goalies who team won’t be playing for anything at that point.

FORWARDS (4):
Cavallini, David, Akindele, Larin

MIDFIELDERS (8):
Arfield, Kaye, Piette, Osorio, Hoilett, Davies, Millar, Tabla 

DEFENDERS (8):
Adekugbe, James, Henry, Cornelius, Miller, B-G, Laryea, Cordova

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Borjan, Crepeau, Carducci 

-------------
- Hutchinson, Eustaquio are coming back/still recovering from their injuries
- Recent GC call-ups of TeibertGodinho, Okello and Johnson are simply over picked
- Crepeau is the number 2, and Leutwiller is 30. It's time to bring in some younger guys to experience international ball

My lineup I would send out (3-5-2):
image.png.0f51d252acbd4d4c04391d36ea1a44d4.png
---------------
Considering the opponent I think we need to try to maximize our goal scoring opportunities. The reality that we face is that even if we tie both games against the USA, they'll more than likely play a depleted Cuban side and will also run the score up on them. We need goals and ruthless mentality. 

* Just watched David's highlights from his recent game, he can be even more dangerous playing through the middle, and linking up with Lucas

The lineup I expect to see (4-3-3): 
image.png.4a6098de8ab3d986dde71812dd45e532.png
--------------
- Our classic formation, that will most likely have players playing out of position.
Henry will probably be short on match fitness, so James will come in ahead of him. (this could change based on if he plays in the Whitecaps next few games)
- I think Kaye should play over Piette, but again this is what I expect to see. 

Overall I think my roster selection will be about 78% accurate.

Edited by Shway
Added the part about JD.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

FORWARDS (4):
Cavallini, David, Akindele, Larin

MIDFIELDERS (8):
Arfield, Kaye, Piette, Osorio, Hoilett, Davies, Millar, Tabla 

DEFENDERS (8):
Adekugbe, James, Henry, Cornelius, Miller, B-G, Laryea, Cordova

GOALKEEPERS (3):

-------------
- Hutchinson, Eustaquio are coming back/still recovering from their injuries
- Recent GC call-ups of TeibertGodinho, Okello and Johnson are simply over picked
- Crepeau is the number 2, and Leutwiller is 30. It's time to bring in some younger guys to experience international ball

This roster is almost spot on for me as well.  The only two possible changes I would make would be Shome for Tabla and maybe St Clair for Carducci.

8 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I could also see and hope Eustaquio will be called. He is doing training as per his 50k instagram followers, why not call him in to train + integrate with the squad? Realistically, max 15-16 of the 23 called see the field, great opportunity for him to gel with the lads.

I really don't find it necessary or sensible for him to come and train. We want to start off this new relationship on the right foot with player and club. There's no club with a player coming off the kind of injury he suffered that wants to see their contracted player anywhere near a national team camp.

Now if he's just dying to come and meet the lads, sit in the hot tub, and get a sense of the squad and strategy...then so be it.

Goalkeepers: (3)

Defenders: (7) 

Adekugbe, James, Henry, Cornelius, Miller, Cordova, Laryea

Central Midfielders: (6)

Arfield, Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Teibert, Shome

Wingers: (2)

Hoilett, Davies 

Forwards: (5)

Cavallini, David, Akindele, Borges, Campbell 

— CHANGES [9] —

OUT: Leutwiler, Morgan, Brault-Guillard, Godihno, Johnson, Okello, Hutchinson, Millar, Larin 

IN: *Carducci, ^Adekugbe, ^James, ^Cordova, *Laryea, ^Akindele, *Shome, *Borges, *Campbell 

* = First call up 

^= Re-Call

Thoughts: Borjan is 31, Crepeau is 25. Our 3rd string keeper has to be younger! Carducci and James (both 23) have impressed in the CPL, and with St Clair, Pantemis, Busti, Hasal and others also promising its time to turn the page on Leutwiler and Thomas. Not only because of age but we have two established keepers and you have to give credit where credit is due. Jayson and Simon are not even playing with their respective clubs; and are 29 & 30. 

James and Adekugbe are obvious here, they would have been at the gold cup if it weren’t for injury and club commitments. They were oh so missed in the defence. Manjrekar joins the other 3 CB’s while Sam takes Morgan’s spot who has played less than 300 minutes for TFC this year. Also with him back, we can stop putting Davies or Kaye there; they belong on the wing and central midfield without a doubt.

ZBG (20) and Godihno (21) looked inexperienced, mistake prone and shaky. We’re good in coming forward but defending ooof. I’m sorry but they need to improve, especially since now Marcus has moved to 3rd tier Germany; rather than stayed in the Premiership - even though I would argue it’s similar level he might have just taken himself of the NT radar. As far as for Zach goes, he’s still learning but has a bit ways to go. Laryea and Cordova have been playing consistently as well are 3/4 years older - it’s fair to give them a shot and I’m sure Herdman has taken notice; 

note: we must establish a proper back 4. Herdman did not do that, and waited until the French Guiana game which was too late! 

The Shome call up is self explanatory- he’s top 5 in Minutes played this season by Canadians in MLS. With the aging Atiba (36) and WJ (32) it’s time to add fresh air into the central midfield that has Arfield, Kaye, Osorio, piette and teibert. I would have selected Eustaquio as his return was expected near Sept 1 but has now been pushed back to October, as liga Mx is superior to MLS and he’s at a top club in that league. Okello just made his first team debut vs Ottawa the other day, he’s a good prospect but not a senior player yet. Although impressive with TFC 2; previously Herdman has called Fraser, Chapman and wotherspoon as filler players. Shome is a starter with MTL, he’s no squad player in my view. Wotherspoon has a regular season again in 18/19 with St Johnston’s but if he’s not gonna be a key figure then why bother flying him out here when Shome is younger, homegrown and closer. Although I think David is someone I’d like to have he’s 29 and would be a replacement for WJ at best. Eustaquio is there to fill the 6th spot, then depth after that is welcome. 

Akindele - come on, 9 goals so far; I was personally disappointed when he was left off the gold cup roster has he had 5-6 goals by that point and instead millar was selected when he in fact only had made 1 or 2 starts as a pro, with 9 bench appearances stringing for less than 300 MP. Anyhow he absolutely deserves his place

Larin - after a bad season with Beşiktaş, let the new loan to Belgium take the time it needs for cyle to find his form and remain in the XI. He’s played 3 games but no goal yet. New club, he must adapt. For now he’s off the roster as we have David, Cavallini and co - something a few years back was unprecedented. He was the 1-2 punch and even if he played bad floro never took him out as we didn’t really had anyone else besides maybe tosaint. Now he’s out, how times have changed. 

Millar - First season as a pro, back to Scotland with Kilmarnock under new manager from Italy who rates him highly and started the first match. Very positive, he should remain there as previously noted before coming in he had less than 300 MP as a professional. Expect great things from him this season and excited for him! I think it’s best he stays where he is to get continuity and establish his place.

Ricketts - honestly has been dominating in a league that’s 40th best in Europe. Not good enough for Canada, now he’ll be a bench player for the caps and at his age (32) the way it goes for any national team is you keep each position fresh. Few experienced, mid age and young; imo he’s not better than any of our current forwards. 

Borges and Campbell - Best two forwards of the league and the youngest in the scoring list too. Coin flip instead of AJH and Hamilton. they deserve it but it also looks good for the league, and pacific and forge are selling them to a higher league at the end of the season -so there is projection plus consider the opponent too : it’s cuba. VS USA, different story - not only will they be at Olympic qualifiers and it’s a much stronger team but Larin and Millar would have found their form and establish themselves by then. Need the A Team 

Edited by Blackjack15

13 hours ago, nolando said:

I really don't find it necessary or sensible for him to come and train. We want to start off this new relationship on the right foot with player and club. There's no club with a player coming off the kind of injury he suffered that wants to see their contracted player anywhere near a national team camp.

Now if he's just dying to come and meet the lads, sit in the hot tub, and get a sense of the squad and strategy...then so be it.

Good point, both paragraphs.

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

Also, Piette is doubtful. He's out for around 3 weeks. 

I wonder if that increases Shome's chances? It's not an exact like-for-like, but we'd need another centre midfielder without Piette.

Liam Fraser may become an option too.

Too bad Eustaquio is seemingly not ready yet...

A surprise Elijah Adekugbe call would be pretty cool. He's definitely impressed this season in the CPL.

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wonder if that increases Shome's chances? It's not an exact like-for-like, but we'd need another centre midfielder without Piette.

Liam Fraser may become an option too.

Too bad Eustaquio is seemingly not ready yet...

A surprise Elijah Adekugbe call would be pretty cool. He's definitely impressed this season in the CPL.

Russell Teibert - he's already on the fringes, if Piette is out. Simple I replace those two in my 23.

4 hours ago, Shway said:

Russell Teibert - he's already on the fringes, if Piette is out. Simple I replace those two in my 23.

I’m not sure if you’re saying you’d replace Teibert or not but I think you are so I’ll say this. Teibert isn’t your most technical player on the field but he is one of the hardest workers on the field. He’ll give 100% for 90 minutes or however long he’s on the field. You need guys like that who are willing to work their ass off for the teams, and while his on the ball skills lack a bit he’s still a good passer of the ball and pretty good on the defensive end. In my opinion he is definitely ahead of Fraser and Shome and probably Johnson and is still a needed member of this national team.

11 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I’m not sure if you’re saying you’d replace Teibert or not but I think you are so I’ll say this. Teibert isn’t your most technical player on the field but he is one of the hardest workers on the field. He’ll give 100% for 90 minutes or however long he’s on the field. You need guys like that who are willing to work their ass off for the teams, and while his on the ball skills lack a bit he’s still a good passer of the ball and pretty good on the defensive end. In my opinion he is definitely ahead of Fraser and Shome and probably Johnson and is still a needed member of this national team.

Oh I agree. 

If you see my post, he's left out of my 23 simply because there's players better than him in the CdM position. 

My statement was if Piette is out due to injury, then I would replace him with Teibert. 

Few things: 

1) I thought we had excellent team chemistry, morale and cohesion in the Gold Cup. Even with the Haiti collapse the majority of successful professional athletes usually only want to get back out there and prove they can crush it. That's usually the difference between those that persevere and make it, compared to those that don't (injury derailment aside).

With that being said I would limit our changes to 5 players & 1 goalie change from the 23 Gold Cup Roster. 

2) Roster continuity in my eyes and the need to smash Cuba at home is critical as Goal Differential could very well matter. I don't see us calling absolute max 8 defenders for the Cuba roster.

My 23 man roster changes from the Gold Cup (alphabetical): 

Out-

Godhino (establish himself at club)

Hutchinson (injury confirmed)

Johnson (utility midfield player)

Larin (establish himself at club)

Morgan (just does not get enough mins)

In- 

Adekugbe ( LB over Morgan)

Akindele (Fwd over Larin)

Cordova ( LB/RB depth Godinho) 

James ( CB depth over Hutch)

*Lareya-Vitoria* ( additional depth)*

If Piette and Henry both can't go you bring in:

Shome (midfield) 

Lareya- Vitoria (depth)

I decided not to pick the 3rd keeper, but I think for costs etc over Leutwiler we pick a NA based player.

On the games themselves I'd like us to play a very aggressive 3-5-2 and bag tons of goals :). On the road a quality 4-3-3 as prep plus ensure a win, where we can still bag goals. 

Thoughts?