Match Thread: August 14, 2019 - Cavalry FC v Montreal Impact - Semi-Finals, 2nd Leg

Well done to Cavalry. Win or lose tomorrow, they have shown the CPL is a competitive solid league. Like many on here I thought Cavalry would prove to be one of the weaker-middling teams of the league. But they have shown to be very solid. Good luck against Montreal, but whatever happens, the CPL is here to stay, and that can only be beneficial to Canadian soccer, the best players may end up being creamed off by European leagues and the MLS, but I think the goings on in Saskatoon shows there is huge talent hidden away and having a professional league in place will only help in development of talent and hopefully improving you national team long term.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:14 PM, narduch said:

Should be a packed house for this

With the complete lack of promotion, and the glut of $6 resale tickets in Toronto, perhaps they'll challenge the TFC attendance - actual rather than announced at least. Good job for TFC that this game was in the season ticket package ...

Can't wait for this game, but some concerns for Calgary:

- Camargo and Brown are both unlikely due to injury. 

- Ledgerwood misses out due to the red card last week.

Calgary Sun had a big two-page preview of the match, which was a very nice read. I still can't believe I can pick up the local news paper and read a pre-game article about a Canadian Championship semi-final. It's a dream come true. We have come a long way!

...But the author did refer to the 18 yard box as "the crease", so obviously we still have a ways to go ;)

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can't wait for this game, but some concerns for Calgary:

- Camargo and Brown are both unlikely due to injury. 

- Ledgerwood misses out due to the red card last week.

Calgary Sun had a big two-page preview of the match, which was a very nice read. I still can't believe I can pick up the local news paper and read a pre-game article about a Canadian Championship semi-final. It's a dream come true. We have come a long way!

...But the author did refer to the 18 yard box as "the crease", so obviously we still have a ways to go ;)

Even you 😎 it should be referred to as the "penalty area"  (a nitpicking referee here)

Hmmm... hate to say it but this is the limit. You clearly see that Cavalry are a few pieces from being able to win. They can compete but winning is very hard.

The encouraging part is that it isn't as far as I had envisioned in regards to the gap. 

Dont get me wrong, you see the gap but not night and day like TFC "B team" vs Ottawa "best team ever?" Lol

At the end of the day all very under-whelming.  Pity.  Couldn't have asked for a better crowd but just not there for Cavalry tonight, and the Impact doing what you need to do on the road, enought. 

For some reason the floodlights at Spruce Meadows reminds me of a pitch in Winnipeg somewhere.  No floodlights on one side of the pitch, can't remember where but it sticks out in the mind. 

Well I don’t know what else you could ask for.  Fantastic effort - definitely not a huge gap.

Cavalry had the set piece opportunities, just couldn't capitalize and that’s what they needed to win.  Can’t be disappointed but can be extremely optimistic.  I think this showing is going to drive a lot more players to the CPL.