Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Aug 10, 2019 - York vs. Valour

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Disagree Jono.

I think they've defended better as a team, but Le Bourhis is a bit of a step down from Thomas. Garcia was great. Mitter has been his usual, maybe a bit better.

Biggest difference is Arguinarena has been much better after a long dip in form.

And of course still a nightmare on corners.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

That'll do.

Mitter in the 2nd half the best I've seen him in a Valour shirt. His total lack of pace isn't such a big deal when you're parking the bus. Le Bourhis similarly lead-footed but good in the air.

Galan MOTM.

Edited by jonovision

27 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think they've defended better as a team, but Le Bourhis is a bit of a step down from Thomas. Garcia was great. Mitter has been his usual, maybe a bit better.

Biggest difference is Arguinarena has been much better after a long dip in form.

And of course still a nightmare on corners.

The thing that Garcia, Le Bourhis, and Gutierrez do that Thomas and Murrell do not is PUT PRESSURE ON THE BALL CARRIER instead of retreating faster than the French in 1940. That is called DEFENDING. Murrell and Thomas are comprehensively the WORST centre back pairing in CPL and the worst professional centre back pairing I have ever seen.

The sooner we replace them, the sooner we can actually start winning. Like today.

Posted (edited)

I'm not ready to concede the point about Thomas. He was excellent against Halifax. Murrell was a nightmare at centre back but still a useful player in this league in wide positions.

Edited by jonovision

Just now, jonovision said:

I'm not ready to concede the point about Thomas. He was excellent against Halifax. Murrell was a nightmare at centre back but still a useful player in this league in wide positions.

Your standards of excellence are clearly not the same as mine!

We can agree to disagree though. Results speak for themselves.

17 minutes ago, Lofty said:

The thing that Garcia, Le Bourhis, and Gutierrez do that Thomas and Murrell do not is PUT PRESSURE ON THE BALL CARRIER instead of retreating faster than the French in 1940. That is called DEFENDING.

I missed the first part of the match, but Le Bourhis looked solid.  Solid tackles, going at the ball carrier, solid in the air.  Good solid aggressive defending.  

Hope we keep him.

Just now, Winnipeg Fury said:

I missed the first part of the match, but Le Bourhis looked solid.  Solid tackles, going at the ball carrier, solid in the air.  Good solid aggressive defending.  

Hope we keep him.

He did make a few mistakes but they were far outweighed by many solid interventions and the fact he actually understands how to DEFEND!

15 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Rob Gale defiant in the post match. Um, you do know that was the first win in 12 matches, don't you?! Let's not get carried away!

York absolutely dominated the 2nd half.

I wonder if us not being happy with 1 win in 12 matches makes us "doom & gloomers"  ?

5 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I wonder if us not being happy with 1 win in 12 matches makes us "doom & gloomers"  ?

Valour only second from bottom now. Take THAT you doom and gloomers!!

Unfortunately the bottom team have a game in hand...

I'm giving Valour MOTM to Janssens. Apart from the penalty save, his positioning was superb which helped him to make what looked like easy saves from very dangerous chances. Plus the clean sheet.

Galán also excellent, as was interim Captain Beland-Goyette. LBG is having a stand out season.

Looked at times like LBG was still carrying a knock.  Soildered on though.  Good lad. 

Liking Galan.  Good signing so far.

And Janssens has to be pretty pleased with himself.  Come off his line well more than once, when required, and looking otherwise way more comfortable then in any other previous match.  Great shot stopping on the spot kick there. 

27 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:
All audio from today's post match press conferences of both teams...Gale, Paolucci, and Carreiro for Valour and Brennan, Porter, and Zambazis for York
because I never know how much makes the OneSoccer shows.

Petrasso?

Thanks for this, though! OneSoccer cut off the Valour portion after a few minutes of only Gale answering questions.

Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2019 at 10:20 PM, jonovision said:

Petrasso?

Thanks for this, though! OneSoccer cut off the Valour portion after a few minutes of only Gale answering questions.

Yeah it was Michael Petrasso on the right.  The players were different than the ones initially chosen...one swap is they said one of them had very limited English.  That may have been Paolucci (Italy) or goalie Mathias Janssens (Belgium).  

I feel bad I didn't realize the switch as Armen Bedakian covered the question I wanted to ask Carreiro about the L1O and family ties so I just let it pass.  Couldn't read the number on their shorts under the table.   I was at BMO Training Ground the day before watching brother Luca Petrasso bombing up the field and sending in crosses for Toronto FC II in their game against Greenville Triumph in USL League One action....now a question about his brother would have been a topper!  

I was wondering why 'Paolucci' would be describing the second goal!  

Thanks jonovision!  

Edited by Rocket Robin

On 8/10/2019 at 10:20 PM, jonovision said:

Petrasso?

Yeah it was Michael Petrasso on the right.  The players were different than the ones initially chosen...one swap is they said one of them had very limited English.  That may have been Paolucci (Italy) or goalie Mathias Janssens (Belgium).  

I feel bad I didn't realize the switch as Armen Bedakian covered the question I wanted to ask Carreiro about the L1O and family ties so I just let it pass.  Couldn't read the number on their shorts under the table.   I was at BMO Training Ground the day before watching brother Luca Petrasso bombing up the field and sending in crosses for Toronto FC II in their game against Greenville Triumph in USL League One action....now a question about his brother would have been a topper!  

I was wondering why 'Paolucci' would be describing the second goal!  

Thanks jonovision!