Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: Aug 10, 2019 - York vs. Valour

Posted (edited)

Match is at 3:30pm EDT on One Soccer.

York will be trying to reinforce their attempt to break into the top two whilst Valour will be going for the dirty dozen: TWELVE matches in a row without a win.

Last meeting at IGF in Winnipeg concluded the Spring Season and saw York knock Valour into last place on the final day with a 3-1 win.

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-york9-fc-vs-valour-fc-match-54

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Valour team news:

Ohin is suspended for this one after accumulating 4 bookings and Murrell is suspended for this one and the next two (at least) after getting sent off at HFX.

Golubar is out for the season. Farago has a broken finger and those do not heal in a week, so he is surely out for a couple of weeks at least. No word on whether MusseSacramento or Beland-Goyette will return from injury. Musse has been out for a while and is unlikely to start when he returns. As for Sacramento and Beland-Goyette, who picked up knocks vs. Pacific a little over a week ago: who knows? Secrecy reigns supreme.

Projected Valour line up:

Formation: 4-2-3-1.

Goal: Janssens.

Defence (R--L): Gutierrez, Thomas, Mitter, Arguiñarena.

Holding Mid: Galán, Galvis.

Attacking Mid: Petrasso, Bustos, Attardo.

Forward: Paolucci.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Prediction: York 1 Valour 1.

In spite of all the injuries and suspensions, Valour are close to having their best eleven available. Add LBG and I think they might be there: their strength in attacking mid means that probably any 3 from 5 or 6 could be considered their best team (edit: actually, Petrasso and Bustos, plus one from the other 3 or 4).

Good chance for Valour to bounce back after Tablegate. Actually, I would not be shocked to see the long awaited W.

Edited by Lofty

I wonder if we might see Garcia at right back again, in order to work Gutierrez into the midfield somehow. Neither he nor Galvis have featured in a long time, but someone will have to knock the rust off or another midfielder will have to play out of position alongside Galan.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I wonder if we might see Garcia at right back again, in order to work Gutierrez into the midfield somehow. Neither he nor Galvis have featured in a long time, but someone will have to knock the rust off or another midfielder will have to play out of position alongside Galan.

Gutierrez is an interesting case. He played attacking mid vs. Cavalry and looked tactically bereft. I saw enough to convince me he cannot be used there in that formation.

So where then? Perhaps holding mid but he likes to get wide: which means full back.

Other than full back, I think he is best suited to be a traditional R mid in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3. But in a 4-4-2 that is where I see Petrasso, so he would be 2nd choice (at best). In a 4-3-3 he is a strong contender for R mid. Maybe we will see that at some point but it doesn't seem to play to our strengths, with only 3 midfield places and a thousand midfielders to choose from.

As for Garcia, I quite like what I have seen but he is another player who has much to learn tactically. I think we are now past giving playing time to youngsters just because, and going forward will be playing our best eleven. And at this point I don't think he is in it.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Not sure why York 9 scheduled this during the Rogers Cup tennis

Typically the teams don’t create the schedule. The league does.

As far as the game goes I’m predicting 3-0 York.

8 hours ago, Reign said:

Typically the teams don’t create the schedule. The league does.

As far as the game goes I’m predicting 3-0 York.

And the time was flipped for the CBC as it was supposed to start at 1:00pm but they wanted the HFX vs Cavalry game.  The 3:30pm start means if the game ends at 5:30pm, overlapping fans have two hours to get downtown to see TFC vs Orlando.  

I expect to see less Generation IX fans and an emptier press box than usual.    

29 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

And the time was flipped for the CBC as it was supposed to start at 1:00pm but they wanted the HFX vs Cavalry game.  The 3:30pm start means if the game ends at 5:30pm, overlapping fans have two hours to get downtown to see TFC vs Orlando.  

I expect to see less Generation IX fans and an emptier press box than usual.    

Im assuming the league likely asked CBC to broadcast the Wanderers game instead. Makes sense for the promotion of the league.

Posted (edited)

You were right Jono: Garcia in at RB and Gutierrez in AM. Attardo is a sub.

Beland-Goyette returns from injury and, by far the biggest surprise, Le Bourhis replaces Thomas at CB! I wonder if Thomas is injured or dropped. (Edit: obviously injured as he is not on the bench!)

I also wonder who wears the armband. My guess: LBG. Could also be Mitter.

We will see how Le Bourhis pans out but other than that, this is a strong team.

Edited by Lofty

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

You were right Jono: Garcia in at RB and Gutierrez in AM. Attardo is a sub.

Beland-Goyette returns from injury and, by far the biggest surprise, Le Bourhis replaces Thomas at CB! I wonder if Thomas is injured or dropped.

I also wonder who wears the armband. My guess: LBG. Could also be Mitter.

We will see how Le Bourhis pans out but other than that, this is a strong team.

If Thomas was dropped and not injured we'd at least see him on the bench. And it would certainly be odd to see him come out after one of his best matches of the season. This is the second game in a row Valour has played with less than a full bench.

Posted (edited)

Valour's injury woes at this point -- in addition their many other woes, some of which are self-inflicted -- are becoming downright comical.

That said, they also haven't caught a lot of breaks this year and if something broke their way in this one -- an early goal, say -- I think they have a chance of taking the win.

Remember this was the team that was the closest to taking a result off Cavalry in the first part of the spring season. They lost late 1-0 on a free kick goal (should have been easily saved) on a phantom foul. I've bemoaned their lack of quality but when the mentality is right they're not so far behind everybody else.

Edited by jonovision

4 hours ago, Reign said:

Yup. York looks horrible on TV. Empty stadium with a non professional looking pitch/stadium. HFX looks great on tv, and you get to promote Cavs the best team in the CPL. 

In all fairness, the pitch itself is pretty nice. 

Petrasso has lost every single foot race.

Good performance by Valour so far. Entertaining match, particularly the first 20 mins.

Le Bourhis has made a few mistakes but he looks very decent.

4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Wheeler: "No Murrell, no Thomas, no problem".

Lofty: "No kidding!"

If we're being honest, the Valour back line looked just as vulnerable as always. The new guy understandably had a few rough moments.

LBG and Galan immense so far.

Posted (edited)

Garcia injured, because of course. Valour down to 15 healthy non-suspended bodies on the whole roster.

Game is getting very dive-y from both teams. This ref is abject.

Edited by jonovision