Canadians abroad: August 9 - 15, 2019

jordan

So, semi-serious question: regarding the rule that the ball must be on the spot, I know in most normal circumstances, players try to cheat by putting the ball closer to the net, but is a player allowed to place the ball behind or adjacent to the dot?  Obviously, in Milan’s game, the dot was not there anymore... presumably the ref had to make a judgement call???

17 minutes ago, Addona said:

So, semi-serious question: regarding the rule that the ball must be on the spot, I know in most normal circumstances, players try to cheat by putting the ball closer to the net, but is a player allowed to place the ball behind or adjacent to the dot?  Obviously, in Milan’s game, the dot was not there anymore... presumably the ref had to make a judgement call???

The ball must be on the spot, not beside or behind, and, definitely not in front.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The ball must be on the spot, not beside or behind, and, definitely not in front.

I figured ... but there were definitely some in that clip that were moved around substantially after the spot had become non-existent ...

21 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Why is that pitch so bad? FCK are Denmark's biggest team with their best stadium

I read from a Dane on another site that the owners love the money from concerts.  He was happy because the national team play there so much and try to play on the ground. So he appreciated the bad publicity.  

No idea how to true, but there you go. 

Edit: Schmeichel senior said basically the same thing a few years ago so probably checks out.

https://www.balls.ie/football/peter-schmeichel-parken-stadium-377395

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

12 minutes ago, jordan said:

Arfield starts for Rangers In Leg 2 against FC Midtjylland

Jonathan David starts against AEK Larnaca

De opstelling van KAA Gent: Kaminski, Lustig, Ngadeu, Plastun, Asare, Owusu, Odjidja, Dejaegere, David, Yaremchuk, Depoitre

David with two strikers again. Interesting when you don't need a goal, but this has been a fun manager to watch.

David scores on the counter to make it 2-0 (3-1) and probably safe for Genk.

They have a chant when he scores, I think, probably not surprising. 

Update - and again 3-0

Translated from their site

96 '   David comes again just for the goal and finishes again: 3-0 !!!
94 '   David is sent deep from his own half and finishes quietly: 2-0 !!!

Final

Barring a miracle elsewhere they will face Croatian side HNK Rijeka in the last hurdle before the group stage.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Arfield's Rangers finish the job 3-1 (7-3) over James' (on the bench) Midtjylland to go through. Arfield goes 90'.

Face Legia Warsaw in the playoff round. 

Do we know who Gent will be paired with?

Both David goals were very similar: 1-on-1 with the keeper and slots home very calmly, going for placement rather than power. That's what's struck me as well about his goals with Canada. Unlike some other national team strikers we could name, he doesn't lose his head when he gets the ball in a good position, he keeps his head up and finishes clinically, which is rather notable for a teenager.

Edited by jonovision

• jordan unpinned this topic