2019 The Challenge Trophy

Dicdan

(kinda early i know, but just doing this before I forget)

one more time the CSA confirms the Challenge Trophy, this time in St John's, NL during early october.

according to official website, Yukon & PEI will not send a club for the cup.

IMO, this is also a good opportunity to CanPL clubs scout new players to their rosters.

• 1 month later...

Group A
BC - Central City Breakers
NL - Holy Cross
AB - Edmonton Scottish
MB - Winnipeg Lions
NB - Fredericton Picaroons Reds

Group B
ON - Ottawa St. Anthony
SK - Saskatoon Revolution
QC - Kodiak de Charlesbourg
NS - United DFC
NT - Yellowknife YK Galaxy

Yukon, PEI & Nunavut with no club at the tourney

I went through the rosters in search of some familiar names:

Paul Hamilton (Edmonton Scottish, Former FCE)

Sam Lam (Edmonton Scottish, Former FCE)

Amer Halilic (Edmonton Scottish, Former NK Vitez)

Derrick Bassi (CCB, Former U20)

Mamadi Camara (CCB, Former San Jose Draft Pick)

Caleb Clarke (CCB, Former Vancouver Whitecaps)

Yassin Essa (CCB, Former U17 World Cup)

Derek Gaudet (DFC, Former Toronto FC)

10 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I went through the rosters in search of some familiar names:

Paul Hamilton (Edmonton Scottish, Former FCE)

Sam Lam (Edmonton Scottish, Former FCE)

Amer Halilic (Edmonton Scottish, Former NK Vitez)

Derrick Bassi (CCB, Former U20)

Mamadi Camara (CCB, Former San Jose Draft Pick)

Caleb Clarke (CCB, Former Vancouver Whitecaps)

Yassin Essa (CCB, Former U17 World Cup)

Derek Gaudet (DFC, Former Toronto FC)

i wonder that EVERY year it has some famous names in these clubs... some years ago Jacob Lensky played the cup also, same as Tyler Roselund in 2017

i wonder if canpl clubs will look at the competition to make an offer or something like that

On 10/2/2019 at 11:55 PM, Dicdan said:

i wonder that EVERY year it has some famous names in these clubs... some years ago Jacob Lensky played the cup also, same as Tyler Roselund in 2017

i wonder if canpl clubs will look at the competition to make an offer or something like that

I would hope so. There is clearly quality in these teams based on some of the names I saw, especially with a lack of L1O or PLSQ equivalent in these provinces

On 10/3/2019 at 12:34 AM, nolando said:

I get no territories but why no PEI rep?

PEI's only men's amateur team at this level plays in the New Brunswick league (NBPSL).

PEI last competed in 2016, when they were the NBPSL champions (for the 3rd year in a row).

Perhaps their provincial association has determined they would only submit the team to the competition if they win their league?

• 2 weeks later...

BC crowned Challenge Trophy Champions at 2019 Toyota National Championships

Teck Finals Day in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador saw British Columbia crowned champions at the 2019 Toyota National Championships Challenge Trophy competition. Central City Breakers from Surrey defeated Ottawa’s St. Anthony SC 2:0 to take the Gold Medal and Challenge Trophy. Dartmouth’s United DFC earned the bronze medal with Quebec’s Kodiak Charlesbourg winning the Fifth Place Match, Newfoundland & Labrador’s Holy Cross winning the Seventh Place Match and Manitoba’s FC Winnipeg Lions taking the Ninth Place Match.

Challenge Trophy:

1. Central City Breakers FC
  2. Ottawa St. Anthony SC
  3. United DFC (Dartmouth)
  4. Edmonton Scottish SC
  5. Kodiak Charlesbourg
  6. Fredericton Picaroons Reds
  7. Holy Cross FC (St. John's)
  8. Saskatoon Revolution
  9. FC Winnipeg Lions
  10. Yellowknife YK Galaxy FC

Gold: Central City Breakers FC (Surrey) (BC) 2:0 (ON) Ottawa St. Anthony SC

British Columbia’s Central City Breakers defeated Ontario’s Ottawa St. Anthony 2:0 to win the 2019 Toyota National Championships Challenge Trophy competition in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador. After a scoreless first half, Surrey’s Caleb Clarke (65’) put BC ahead 20 minutes into the second half and Milad Mehrabi (90’+2) got a second with Ottawa pushing forward to equalize in injury time.

Bronze: Edmonton Scottish SC (AB) 0:2 (NS) United DFC (Dartmouth)

United DFC finish in third place with their 2:0 victory over Alberta in the Bronze Medal Match at the Challenge Trophy competition in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador. Andrew Serieys (28’) put Dartmouth up mid-way through the first half and Derek Gaudet (90’+3) sealed it in second-half injury time with a beautiful free kick from the top of the box. Jensen Brown earned his fourth clean sheet of the competition.

Fifth Place: Fredericton Picaroons Reds (NB) 0:4 (QC) Kodiak Charlesbourg

Marc-Olivier Dibongue Kouo’s (30, 41’) scored two first half goals and Julien Morissette (65’) and Jeremy-Nathaniel Tothaud-Mouandza (87’) scored in the second half to secure fifth place for Quebec.

Seventh Place: Holy Cross FC (St. John's) (NL) 2:0 (SK) Saskatoon Revolution

Jacob Grant (16’) and Isaac Bonisteel’s (37’) first-half goals were enough for hosts Holy Cross as they defeat Saskatchewan to take seventh place in the Challenge Trophy competition.

Ninth Place: FC Winnipeg Lions (MB) 19:0 (NT) Yellowknife YK Galaxy FC

Ryan Ramjiawan (4’, 6’, 22’, 39’, 47’, 62’, 68’, 76’, 82’), Stuart Hodges (35’, 65’, 71’, 75’), Andrew Aitken (10’), Krzysztof Szulc (31’), Aaron Hidalgo-Mazzei (60’), and Zach Harrison (80’) scored for Manitoba.

Source: https://www.canadasoccer.com/bc-crowned-challenge-trophy-champions-at-2019-toyota-national-championships--p162439&t=nationals_article&site=15493