Concacaf U15 Championship (2019)

Starting lineup was a 4-1-4-1 formation:

Bontis - Stojadinovic, Cloutier, Campagna, Gordon - Alvarez - Assi, Henry, Saliba, Marshall-Rutty - Mbongue

Hard to evaluate the team as El Salvador were an exceptionally poor opponent. Difficult to provide any insight on the central midfield or the defense as Salvador provided no pressure or skill in the attack. Watched RB Gordon a bit (youngest player on the team) and he showed very good positioning, calm defending and some very nice balls forward.

Marshall-Rutty generates loads of offense from his right mid/right forward role: he's fast, passes well, and shows vision on the field. Reminds me a little of Jonathan David.

Mbongue is a beast up front and Assi is a beast coming in from left forward with speed. 

7-0 win.

33 minutes ago, jordan said:

Why are we playing Slovenia in a Concacaf championship?

Not sure why, but 3 Europeans teams are part of the tournament. It looks like this was done to have a more balance competition and TBH I don't care too much since it's U15 and it's not a qualifying tournament for a youth WC.

But the prospect of seeing a headline like this "Slovenia, 2019 Concacaf U15 champions" is a little bit weird...

Much tougher opponent for Canada today. 

Bonis - Caron, Cloutier, Campagna, Stojadinovic - Alvarez, Daouda, Saliba - Assi, Mbongue, Marshall-Rutty

Slovenia was what you would expect from a well-organized and physical central European team: almost impossible to break through in midfield or defense. Slovenia goals came from a corner, a scramble in the box and then a late counter with Canada pushing everyone forward. 3-0 win for Slovenia.

Assi continued to look like the most dangerous Canadian on the attack and put it wide on Canada's best chance to tie the game early. 

The player I liked in this game was Malik Daouda - played the No. 6 role. Very good passing, distribution and calm defending. Didn't see much speed but he looks like he has the size to gain more speed. First time I've seen him at the tournament and he impressed. Plays for Montreal's academy.

17 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

How did we lose to Slovenia ?

Slovenia and Israel tied 0-0, with Slovenia winning on penalties.  Their defense must be good as they have not allowed a goal all tournament so far.

Not 100 % sure how this tournament works but it seems the final 4 are US, Slovenia, Portugal and Canada.  I wouldn't think Canada would play Slovenia again until the final (although this is Concacaf!) so I would imagine we would get US or Portugal in the semis?  My guess would be we play the US as that would allow a Concacaf champion to be crowned, as well as ensuring a Concacaf team in the final. 

23 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Slovenia and Israel tied 0-0, with Slovenia winning on penalties.  Their defense must be good as they have not allowed a goal all tournament so far.

Not 100 % sure how this tournament works but it seems the final 4 are US, Slovenia, Portugal and Canada.  I wouldn't think Canada would play Slovenia again until the final (although this is Concacaf!) so I would imagine we would get US or Portugal in the semis?  My guess would be we play the US as that would allow a Concacaf champion to be crowned, as well as ensuring a Concacaf team in the final. 

Well, knowing it's CONCACAF and that Mexico can't face the US until the final, I'd be shocked if we're facing the US in the semis.

I'm fully expecting us to be up against Slovenia or Portugal and to lose, thus being eliminated from the CONCACAF Championship while having a perfect record against CONCACAF teams.

Not that it's a big deal. At this age, getting exposure to strong teams is great.

Well, you guys are correct, we get a rematch with Slovenia on Saturday.  It seems to be the last game so not sure how the champion is crowned, or if there is one for that matter. 

edit:  Sorry, looks like the final is Sunday.

Edited by Ivan

Starting lineup for Canada vs Mexico was:

Bontis - Stojadinovic, Cloutier, Campagna, Gordon - Alvarez - Marshall-Rutty, Henry, Saliba, Assi - Mbongue

Canada's legs seemed dead for the first part of the game and Mexico was overall the stronger team, but the Canadian team hung in. Mbongue is a handful when he gets the ball anywhere near him. Assi was running at the Mexico team all game. And there was incredible work rate from the central mid trio of Saliba, Henry and Alvarez. 

For those that have watched the games, how has Marshall-Rutty looked?  Mbongue seems to be the goal scorer, while pretty much every game report has Assi dominating.  Haven't heard much (or seen much in the highlights) from Marshall-Rutty.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

For those that have watched the games, how has Marshall-Rutty looked?  Mbongue seems to be the goal scorer, while pretty much every game report has Assi dominating.  Haven't heard much (or seen much in the highlights) from Marshall-Rutty.

I've only watched bits and pieces, but I think some of the success that Mbongue and Assi have has been due (at least in part) to their size.  I think Mbongue in particular is a big kid.  His first goal against Mexico was because he outjumped and outmuscled the keeper and defender.  I hope he gets some serious training with TFC and they don't just rely on his athleticism and size.

Marshally-Rutty has been good, particularly the first game.  I may have (perhaps unfairly) expected more of him though.

Edited by El Hombre