Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread: August 5, 2019 - HFX Wanderers v Valour

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

When i met you I was working as a sideline reporter, that much is true

but even then I knew I'd make to update desk either with or without you

I am so, soooo tempted.

But not here, not now.  I'm keeping this one in the armory for now. 

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Personally, I'm much more annoyed that the ref doesn't think grabbing a handful of shirt and tugging is a foul -- which is what was done to Petrasso in the last minute in -- you guessed it -- their penalty area. Oh, and the winning goal was rather slyly knocked in with a hand.

I though that goal may have gone in off an arm!  Hard to follow on my monitor in real time but the panel covered it extensively.  OK, it got missed, they do, but Petrasso's shirt getting stretching into a banner in the penalty area?  You get away with that you go straight out and by a lottery ticket because today is your day, son.  People would have talked about a third penalty in added time saving Valour but so what?  They won't be talking about the call, they'd be talking about Valour's nine-lives.  That call gets made 99% of the time. 

This league is as much about developing officials and media as it is about developing players.  ?!!  I exaggerate but the point stands.  The emotions of the day got into the ref and it showed in his performance.  HOPEFULLY he does better next time. 

Gutierrez is going to get a few matches under his belt this fall season.     

Posted (edited)

Ha ha, they exclude ALL the CONTROVERSIAL incidents from the highlights! What the fück is the world coming to?

Close up of the winning goal being knocked in by hand (they have it because I saw it on the post game show)? Nope.

Massive last minute shirt pull on Petrasso in the box, not given? Nope.

Murrell's angry exit? Nope.

Anybody watching that highlight package will not have seen any of the key moments. Shocking failure by OneSoccer.

Edited by Lofty

Replay now up on OneSoccer for anyone who is interested. No word yet on whether they have cut out Murrell's table kick lest they offend someone. Personally, I am offended every time the oppo score so they really should cut out all goals from the highlights.

48 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

We sure do appreciate that! We really needed the 3 points top pick us up   lol

We are now in the unfortunate position of waiting for someone to spot us a "pity win". Obviously you were not in a position to do that. Maybe York. 😉

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

We are now in the unfortunate position of waiting for someone to spot us a "pity win". Obviously you were not in a position to do that. Maybe York. 😉

Cavalry literally gifted you a pity win. 3 games in 6 days, tons of travel, played the b squad... and you still couldn’t take the win haha.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Reign said:

Cavalry literally gifted you a pity win. 3 games in 6 days, tons of travel, played the b squad... and you still couldn’t take the win haha.

Ah, that explains why Ledgerwood didn't shake the ref's hand at the end. Here was I thinking it was because he gave us a late pen but in actual fact it was because he DIDN'T give us a second late pen for the win haha.

By the way, you might want to look up the meaning of the word "literally" so that you don't look stupid when you use it.

Edited by Lofty

19 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Ah, that explains why Ledgerwood didn't shake the ref's hand at the end. Here was I thinking it was because he gave us a late pen but in actual fact it was because he DIDN'T give us a second late pen for the win haha.

By the way, you might want to look up the meaning of the word "literally" so that you don't look stupid when you use it.

INFORMAL
used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

So yeah...

17 minutes ago, Reign said:

INFORMAL
used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

So yeah...

And Valour just LITERALLY drew with HFX because they should have had a last minute penalty! 😂

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry.

3 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

We sure do appreciate that! We really needed the 3 points top pick us up   lol

No worries.  Plenty more were those came from.

Well, maybe not that many.  But enough to go around for the next 12 or 13 matches!

I'm expecting more games to come based on this paragraph:

"Murrell received a 3-match ban for his red card, as is standard by Canada Soccer’s disciplinary proceedings. Further action could be taken by Canada Soccer if deemed appropriate by their disciplinary committee."

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

I'm expecting more games to come based on this paragraph:

"Murrell received a 3-match ban for his red card, as is standard by Canada Soccer’s disciplinary proceedings. Further action could be taken by Canada Soccer if deemed appropriate by their disciplinary committee."

That text has been added. And that does make sense. Three games for the red card and 2-3 extra for the afters would be fair, IMHO.

It is a little known fact that Football Associations around the world consider violence against garden furniture to be by far the most serious offence a player can commit: much more serious than violence against a person. I mean, garden furniture never hurt anyone, right?

Bekker got a two game suspension for violence against a person so yeah, Murrell is probably looking at 50 games at least, maybe even 100. That poor table was clearly traumatized and is probably undergoing therapy at this very moment.

Posted (edited)

Well, make a joke about it if you want.  But this is serious stuff.

You know it's a slippery slope if these sorts of things don't get addressed early enough.  It all probably started back in the day, punting a few empty pop cans down the pavement.  No big deal right?  Then kicking at the tires of the chained up bicycles outside the convenience. Boys wil be boys!  And just look.  NOW it's patio furnature.  Won't even realise it's happened 'til it's too late.

BOOM!  You're Eric Cantona.

We can only hope and pray it's not too late for Murrell. 

Edited by Cheeta
spelling nazis

I would just like to add how disappointed I am with some of my fellow Vs right now.  Especially you veterens. 

It took THIS LONG for that vid to get posted?

Very disappointed.  You know who you are. 

On 8/9/2019 at 1:58 PM, Lofty said:

It is a little known fact that Football Associations around the world consider violence against garden furniture to be by far the most serious offence a player can commit: much more serious than violence against a person. I mean, garden furniture never hurt anyone, right?

Bekker got a two game suspension for violence against a person so yeah, Murrell is probably looking at 50 games at least, maybe even 100. That poor table was clearly traumatized and is probably undergoing therapy at this very moment.

Another idiotic post, you just don't stop, do you? There was a human being who was lucky not be hit by anything behind that table, things went flying all around him; and two other people working the game nearby who were startled. Then he pushed past a security person. There was also something of value potentially damaged. It was reckless lack of care and attention to another individual. 

I understand people living off their parents or the state do not appreciate what it is to respect someone who works for a living. He deserves either a further ban or a fine. If he did not personally apologize to that man working the table, he is a fool, but you'd know more about that category than I.