Match Thread : CONCACAF League : Antigua GFC v Forge FC, August 8, 2019 - Preliminary Round - 2nd Leg

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

wow Frano off the post, Bekker rebound and gets blocked. 
Could've sealed it there

Frano pulled a great counter attack, the ball hiting the post was like a sin

Bekker looked kinda nervous at rebound, opportunities like that CANNOT be missed. What if they were losing the game? It would be crucial...

anyway, congratulations Forge FC! Despite i choose Y9FC to follow in CanPL, is really important to see canadian teams doing history at club international level. Since serbian white eagles' times at old Concacaf Club Championship, to IMFC and TFC finals... the clubs are there to write a new history in canadian soccer!

I'm more relieved than happy right now, that second half was almost entirely about defending. I kept thinking Antigua were going to score. I wanted to walk away from the TV and leave the room, but couldn't take my eyes off of it. I think by the end of the game Forge may only have had about 30% possession. But, bring on Olimpia!

7 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

If anyone is interested in a funny read, take a look at the controversies in the 2018-19 Honduran League which was won by Olimpia, Forge's next opponent. Should be alot of drama if Forge gives them a run. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Liga_Nacional_de_Honduras

Looking further - they aren't the Champions , but runners up of both the Clausura and Apertura .

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

If anyone is interested in a funny read, take a look at the controversies in the 2018-19 Honduran League which was won by Olimpia, Forge's next opponent. Should be alot of drama if Forge gives them a run. 

holy crap this is not funny anyway

2 minutes ago, Dicdan said:

holy crap this is not funny anyway

Not at all, but the bullet point above it is!  There was a game where the two goalkeepers were ejected for violent conduct, and as both teams had used all 3 substitutions, both teams needed an outfield player to finish the game in goal. Now that’s pretty awesome. 

4 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

Not at all, but the bullet point above it is!  There was a game where the two goalkeepers were ejected for violent conduct, and as both teams had used all 3 substitutions, both teams needed an outfield player to finish the game in goal. Now that’s pretty awesome. 

yeah, thats pretty bizarre hahahahahha like Liga de Honduras is a carnival off season

within years, we will have the same in CanPL hahaha, faith in God.

Edited by Dicdan

46 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

This is shocking and not what one would expect from Honduras.  They're usually exemplary sportsmen at all times.

21 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Vic Mont must feel vindicated.  I'm sure a lot of people rolled their eyes when we got that CL spot in our first year but it's obviously absolutely legit.  In fact, I think our teams have shown we probably deserve 2 spots moving forward.

Exactly 

Give CPL 2 more berth... 1 CCL and CL

So our single table would look like this

1.CPL Champions -- CCL

2.CPL Runners up -- CL round of 16

3.CPL 3rd place-- CL preliminary

I'm so proud of my local team and it's great to see fellow V's from across the country sharing in the joy, this was another feather in the cap for our brand new league! That was not an easy task playing at altitude although our lads should be used to the heat by now, it's been hot in The Hammer for most of the summer, our CB's were both immense for the 1st time all season, a great result!

7 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Have I read it correctly that the next game will be on Aug 22 at 10pm at THF? 

That is indeed what it says.

But if you look at the detailed CONCACAF document, it also notes that would be 8 pm local time, and that "CONCACAF reserves its right to change the time and order of the matches". Clearly someone assumed that it would be Antigua advancing, rather than Hamilton.

I have no doubt that it won't be that late, once it is finalized - particularly as the other two matches that day are scheduled for 5 pm local time (6 pm EDT) and 6 pm local time (8 pm EDT). I'd guess they'd swap the last 2, so that both have 8 pm local time starts - though I guess another 6 pm isn't out of the question.

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Vic Mont must feel vindicated.  I'm sure a lot of people rolled their eyes when we got that CL spot in our first year but it's obviously absolutely legit.  In fact, I think our teams have shown we probably deserve 2 spots moving forward.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

Exactly 

Give CPL 2 more berth... 1 CCL and CL

So our single table would look like this

1.CPL Champions -- CCL

2.CPL Runners up -- CL round of 16

3.CPL 3rd place-- CL preliminary

He didn’t say 2 “more” berths. 

You are really advocating for 3 out of 7 CPL teams to get CONCACAF spots? Yet you’ll be the first to complain that other more established leagues are overrepresented. 

Lets just appreciate this great Forge achievement for what it is. It really was a gutsy, professional performance that should be lauded.

8 minutes ago, RS said:

He didn’t say 2 “more” berths. 

You are really advocating for 3 out of 7 CPL teams to get CONCACAF spots? Yet you’ll be the first to complain that other more established leagues are overrepresented. 

Lets just appreciate this great Forge achievement for what it is. It really was a gutsy, professional performance that should be lauded.

Oh relax there...

Of course we need more team, I've never said otherwise but getting a 2nd CL spot once we grow to 8 teams isn't in the realm of impossible. It's easy for CONCACAF to expand CL from 22 teams to 24, nothing controversial to give one of the 2 spots to CPL with what Forge, Cavalry and York9 proved on the pitch this year

We aren't getting a CCL spot until they completely revamp the format, which will happen eventually

Why must you be so modest? No one believe the US should get 4 berth straight into CCL but they wouldn't have it any other way, that I respect from Americans...always the "Canadians should know their place speech..." so disappointing.

Edited by Ansem

Not only was this a great result for Forge FC, who make history as the first CPL team to win a concacaf series, but it was also a wonderful opportunity for young Canadians to experience winning in Central America!

This is hopefully the start of a new generation of Canadian players who will no longer shit their pants away in concacaf.

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

That is indeed what it says.

But if you look at the detailed CONCACAF document, it also notes that would be 8 pm local time, and that "CONCACAF reserves its right to change the time and order of the matches". Clearly someone assumed that it would be Antigua advancing, rather than Hamilton.

I have no doubt that it won't be that late, once it is finalized - particularly as the other two matches that day are scheduled for 5 pm local time (6 pm EDT) and 6 pm local time (8 pm EDT). I'd guess they'd swap the last 2, so that both have 8 pm local time starts - though I guess another 6 pm isn't out of the question.

I just received the email from Forge for STH presale and the kick off is confirmed for 8PM which should be good, the return leg is 10PM in Honduras the following Thursday!