Mid Season CPL Nostars

I feel as always this place is brimming with too much positivity. So to counter Bisons excellent All star thread lets go the opposite end of the spectrum. 

Manager: Rob Gale

Williams 

Petrasso  Thomas  Owundi Legault

REB           Elton John         Issey

Haber      Cox       Hoyle

Bench: Roberts, Murrell, Murofushi, Yung-Chan, Arguinarena, Smith 

Probably a few controversial choices here. Petrasso certainly. Like a few in here they have disappointed in comparison to the hype or previous form. 

Murofushi has actually been universally acclaimed by most Y9 fans as one of our most consistent and solid players all season long. Didn't come with much reputation either, I doubt anybody thinks that much highly of the Singaporean top flight.

Cox is a really interesting situation. My friend and I have wondered if there's a medical condition that's keeping him from flying or something, because off the top of my head, I can't remember him having played much or even making the bench for away trips. Somebody else can take the time to check on the lineups if they wish, this is straight off the top of my head.

If I were to make any suggestions to this team from Y9, based on the season as a whole, I think most Y9 fans would join me in pointing towards Porter and Di Chiara in particular. Not great technique or ball control from either of them, to say the least.

Edited by ironcub14

Need to include Bekker in this. Maybe it has just been in the games I went to , but he is always a couple steps behind jogging around the field. He is great at back passes to the CBs or switching the field to noone though. The only actual thing I like about him is that he stands up for his teammates and gets in arguments with the other team. Last night he yelled at Samuel because he played the ball out due to an Antigua player being down (who magically then popped up). Drew a bit of a crowd of Antigua players.

Williams

Awuah Thomas Murrell Legault

REB     Yongchan   Ouattara

Issey     Haber     Nanco

Bench: sukunda, choineire, de carolis, musse, Roberts,  trafford

while some of these guys haven’t been horrible, I mostly compared their impact to the hype/expectations for them coming into the season

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Need to include Bekker in this. Maybe it has just been in the games I went to , but he is always a couple steps behind jogging around the field. He is great at back passes to the CBs or switching the field to noone though. The only actual thing I like about him is that he stands up for his teammates and gets in arguments with the other team. Last night he yelled at Samuel because he played the ball out due to an Antigua player being down (who magically then popped up). Drew a bit of a crowd of Antigua players.

I don’t get the Bekker hate. I heard someone in my section last night yell “Go back to the MLS Bekker, we won’t miss you.” And I was honestly pissed to hear it.

the guy is overly scrutinized. Make 9 out of 10 passes and he’ll be crucified for the one misplay. He’s easily been the most impressive guy in our quiet midfield, his set pieces are as good as always, and he’s been decent when they pushed him up the field as well.

17 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I don’t get the Bekker hate. I heard someone in my section last night yell “Go back to the MLS Bekker, we won’t miss you.” And I was honestly pissed to hear it.

the guy is overly scrutinized. Make 9 out of 10 passes and he’ll be crucified for the one misplay. He’s easily been the most impressive guy in our quiet midfield, his set pieces are as good as always, and he’s been decent when they pushed him up the field as well.

Lol that's like yelling at Altidore to go back to the EPL. 

Yeah, we don't want you, please leave and go play in a league of higher quality 

Hahaha

32 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Maybe because his 9 passes are 10 feet backwards to his CB. He is slow, jogs around, and doesn't accomplish much. No way you can say he played well last night. He constantly loses possession.

No one stood out much last night, but it’s not as if he played poorly. He’s strong on the ball, wins a good amount of challenges, and his link up play with the wingers (and particularly Borges) has been fine. You’re exaggerating everything and your first concern was him yelling at a teammate lol (as if he isn’t the captain??).

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Lol that's like yelling at Altidore to go back to the EPL. 

Yeah, we don't want you, please leave and go play in a league of higher quality 

Hahaha

Yeah exactly LMAO, was astounded by the stupidity

54 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Maybe because his 9 passes are 10 feet backwards to his CB. He is slow, jogs around, and doesn't accomplish much. No way you can say he played well last night. He constantly loses possession.

Disagree.   Bekker almost always makes the “correct” play to retain possession and also is probably the best player in the league to get into an open pocket to help out a pinned down teammate.  In those situations he most often passes back to safety but that’s the system Forge plays.  

Their possession system relentlessly moves the around, inching forward and patiently waiting for the other team to give them an opening.

Bekker along with Frano and Krutzen are the cogs that make that system work.  It’s often “safe” but the results speak for themselves.  

Haber---Hoyle--Cox

Nanco--Issey---Zajac---REB

Murell--Thomas--Serban

Roberts

These guys are here just because I had big expectations for them.  Most are vets that arent up to snuff, so it doesnt bug me as in most cases a younger player has emerged to pick up the slack.  Circle of life and all that.....

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

Arguiñarena has been one of Valour's best players. Although his form has admittedly slipped a bit recently, it has certainly not fallen to that level.

Petrasso? It's a bit early in the day to be out on the lash! You're on the Ruddles again, aren't you?!

Thomas and Murrell definitely the nostars CB pairing though.

Not sure Hoyle played enough to warrant selection but he certainly did disappoint and never came close to living up to his billing.

Fun exercise though!

If I could only get ruddles here! But point taken and I raise my hands in shame for the nonsense. I was disappointed petrasso hasnt played much but thats not his fault.

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Kadin Chung far more disappointing in my view.

Many goals against can be pinned on Legault. I can't remember many that I would blame Kadin for. I quite like Verhoven though. He adds much more to the attack than Chung does as a RB

Edited by Aird25

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Haber---Hoyle--Cox

Nanco--Issey---Zajac---REB

Murell--Thomas--Serban

Roberts

These guys are here just because I had big expectations for them.  Most are vets that arent up to snuff, so it doesnt bug me as in most cases a younger player has emerged to pick up the slack.  Circle of life and all that.....

Zajac fwiw has scored well on the Audi index and is a first year pro, so I think it’s unfair to place too much expectation on him.  Still he has featured for a good forge team.  The others I agree with, maybe replace Roberts with Williams. 

I think it is a bit odd to point to Haber and Issey, when the team is prolific in scoring. They have not missed them, and Haber was injured for a long spell. 

Issey has to step up and show his worth. I don't think he realised that his stellar role in Malaysia only goes to prove that CPL is better than Malaysia top flight. So there you go. 

So Haber, give him time, he'll help the Pacific attack, give Campbell some competition, and if the defense can get together, he'll be a solid player on the squad. Not sure if his salary will justify that role, but could not say. Different for Issey: he's gone after this year as I see it, unless he can show true leadership in the 3 months remaining.

I also agree that mentioning Petrasso was bewildering, and also find Bekker incisive in his own way. 

37 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Just shows that reputation means nothing in the league, which I think is a sign of its quality.

I think it also shows that we have tons of latent talent that was just waiting for the right opportunity. 

Not every player wants to leave home and play is some smaller Euro league. The pay can't be that great either.