Match Thread: July 27, 2019 - York9 FC v HFX Wanderers

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

The timing isn't unreasonable. You have plenty of time to make it for pregame ceremonies.

You get the chance to assist to back to back games, now this is just nitpicking, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow 

Screenshot_20190727-154821_Maps.jpg

Yes I know but a lot of people here in Toronto especially the over 20000 TFC season ticket holders when given the choice to just go to one game today will go to the TFC game simply for the fact that they have already paid for those tickets so they will go to the TFC game over the York9 game. Most people will not go to two games in one day, it’s just reality. So York9 who is a new club and trying to build a fan base should not be playing on the same day as TFC is. Maybe in a few years when they have built a good fan base but not now when they are just starting off it’s stupid and will effect attendance when TFC is playing on the same day. 

22 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Yes I know but a lot of people here in Toronto especially the over 20000 TFC season ticket holders when given the choice to just go to one game today will go to the TFC game simply for the fact that they have already paid for those tickets so they will go to the TFC game over the York9 game. Most people will not go to two games in one day, it’s just reality. So York9 who is a new club and trying to build a fan base should not be playing on the same day as TFC is. Maybe in a few years when they have built a good fan base but not now when they are just starting off it’s stupid and will effect attendance when TFC is playing on the same day. 

In fairness I suspect even if TFC did not play today the crowd would have looked very similar. 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Wow...Williams sucks

Oxner in goals would have sent Halifax to the Semifinals of the VCup against TFC 

I wondered the same thing. Was it actually 'clinical' finishing' by Fury or a slow flatfooted well past his prime Wanderer net minder? I dont have the answer but I dont totally disagree with your statement.

That was quite possibly the most fun I had so far watching this club. 

6A8107C2-7CAB-487F-BFEE-D04E473166EC.jpeg

This was after the game. I told him he will be Canada’s left back soon. 

Also spoke to Jimmy.

Said his goal against Panama back in 2000 or 2001 when we went through our goal drought in qualifying was my favourite of his.

Edited by Macksam

6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I’m still wondering why York 9 who let’s be honest here are probably last in attendance in the CPL, think it’s a good idea to go up against TFC once again. Yes I know the York9 game is at 330PM, while the TFC home game is at 8PM, but I’m going to both , however, I’m going solo because I couldn’t get any of my TFC mates to go to both games. If the York9 game was tomorrow, I could have easily gotten at least 3 other guys to go with me. York9 you can’t compete right now with TFC in terms of fan support, maybe in a few years , but right now they can’t , do why not try to put yourself in the best position possible to try and get as many soccer fans out as possible and for now that means not playing when TFC plays on the same day , it’s not rocket science!

I thought the crowd today was pretty good.  

I’m not worried about this club. We will build a sustainable fan base. The ticket prices just need to be adjusted next year.

9 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I’m still wondering why York 9 who let’s be honest here are probably last in attendance in the CPL, think it’s a good idea to go up against TFC once again. Yes I know the York9 game is at 330PM, while the TFC home game is at 8PM, but I’m going to both , however, I’m going solo because I couldn’t get any of my TFC mates to go to both games. If the York9 game was tomorrow, I could have easily gotten at least 3 other guys to go with me. York9 you can’t compete right now with TFC in terms of fan support, maybe in a few years , but right now they can’t , do why not try to put yourself in the best position possible to try and get as many soccer fans out as possible and for now that means not playing when TFC plays on the same day , it’s not rocket science!

This game was originally scheduled for 1:30pm but when the league made the broadcast deal with CBC, the network wanted more western Canadian teams (yeah yeah time zones) it's still morning in some places, so the Valour FC vs Cavalry FC game was flipped from 3:30pm. 

Gattas had a pretty good day at the office, no?  That left footer from outside the box was a beauty. 

Telfer getting one with each boot?  Nice.    

I'm not exactly a big fan of Williams but man, the gods were punishing him for something he said or did.  That's for sure.  Maybe could have done better on a couple there but that's sort of academic.  Too many sharp strikes out of York there yesterday.

JB has to be in a better mood lately. 

I'm pleasantly surprised how the CPL teams have been consistent and relisent in their week by week performances.

This match reminded me of a MLS match where week to week, you don't really know how the team will actually perform and there is a good chance, they'll get combed. This could be because of the gap between DP/TAM players and the rest. If the DP/TAM players aren't on their game or are rested/injured, the quality/relisence of the team drops quite a bit.

I've been in Iqaluit so I couldn't see this game. I was also in Montreal for the Impact game. 

It's like I said before, we are cementing ourselves as the third best team in the league I reckon. As for Halifax, with the squad they have they need to be doing much better.