Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread: July 27, 2019 - Valour vs. Cavalry Giant Killers

56 minutes ago, gator said:

A fair result I thought, Valour kept pressing and were finally reward albeit with a bit of a sketchy penalty call!

I thought the pen was iffy in real time and there is no doubt that Muenkat "sold" it. But having watched the replay there was a clear shoulder to the back so the ref got it right.

Improved performance by Valour and the draw was a fair result. Galán and Beland-Goyette combined well and were effective in providing a shield for Valour's shaky defence. I suspect we may see that defensive "unit" regularly from now on. 4-2-3-1 suits Valour's personnel.

Very clever run by the Cavalry player for their goal: went out wide where Arguiñarena should have been marking him, then quickly came inside on Mitter's blind side and slipped in behind. Clearly held onside by both Arguiñarena and Mitter.

Sacramento is taking his opportunity to play an attacking role: hit the post and could have had a couple.

My MOTM: Beland-Goyette. A constant thorn in Cavalry's attack, good distribution, and made some good runs forward with the ball. Honourable mentions to Galán and Sacramento.

Valour now nine in a row without a win but that performance and result are encouraging.

Edited by Lofty
Arguiñarena, not Murrell

9 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Improved performance by Valour and the draw was a fair result. Galán and Beland-Goyette combined well and were effective in providing a shield for Valour's shaky defence. I suspect we may see that defensive "unit" regularly from now on. 4-2-3-1 suits Valour's personnel.

Very clever run by the Cavalry player for their goal: went out wide where Murrell should have been marking him, then quickly came inside on Mitter's blind side and slipped in behind. Clearly held onside by both Murrell and Mitter.

Sacramento is taking his opportunity to play an attacking role: hit the post and could have had a couple.

My MOTM: Beland-Goyette. A constant thorn in Cavalry's attack, good distribution, and made some good runs forward with the ball. Honourable mentions to Galán and Sacramento.

Valour now nine in a row without a win but that performance and result are encouraging.

HAHA, you cant blame Murell for everything, Minatel came from the other side of Mitter and it was Murell on the right side who kept him onside and reacted when he saw Mitter ignore the run and turn him loose on goal.  And i dont feel bad one bit about getting the benefit of the doubt on the penalty.  How many miraculous strange things have happened for the cavs to pull out a win at the death.  Its about time we got a little luck come our way.  

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

HAHA, you cant blame Murell for everything, Minatel came from the other side of Mitter and it was Murell on the right side who kept him onside and reacted when he saw Mitter ignore the run and turn him loose on goal.  And i dont feel bad one bit about getting the benefit of the doubt on the penalty.  How many miraculous strange things have happened for the cavs to pull out a win at the death.  Its about time we got a little luck come our way.  

Minatel was clearly Arguiñarena's (not Murrell's) man until a moment before he made his run on goal. The problem was a lack of communication: Arguiñaeena should have given Mitter a shout. Even so, it would have been hard to stop because Mitter does not have the speed. The bottom line is that a slow defence like Valour's cannot play a high line or they are likely to get burned.

No matter how you slice it, Murrell seems to be around the ball almost every time Valour concede. All 3 goals  last weekend vs. Forge.

Edit: @Bison44 is correct, on this goal it was Arguiñarena, not Murrell.

Edited by Lofty

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

My 2 cents.. move the Trench over 1 section. Look and sound great but a little too hidden over there

Move them over two sections and they'd be under the roof where, you know, the noise would get projected towards the pitch and not the sky.

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

I thought the pen was iffy in real time and there is no doubt that Muenkat "sold" it. But having watched the replay there was a clear shoulder to the back so the ref got it right.

Was a clear penalty from 104.  And a nice check then weighted pass to win the penalty before that. 

Man, did we need that point.  Did we need that performance.

I actually like what Murrell has to contribute offensively when not deployed centrally, but I agree with Lofty that he makes a lot of individual errors in defense. I don't expect to see it, but I wonder if he'd have something to offer in a more advanced role.

Edited by jonovision

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Minatel was clearly Murrell's man until a moment before he made his run on goal. The problem was a lack of communication: Murrell should have given Mitter a shout. Even so, it would have been hard to stop because Mitter does not have the speed. The bottom line is that a slow defence like Valour's cannot play a high line or they are likely to get burned.

No matter how you slice it, Murrell seems to be around the ball almost every time Valour concede. All 3 goals  last weekend vs. Forge.

Murell was on the other side....the runner came from Arguinera's side, Mitter didnt pick him up when he cut to the middle.  If you blame the RB for an attack that came from the LB side i can see how you can blame Murell for almost every goal.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Murell was on the other side....the runner came from Arguinera's side, Mitter didnt pick him up when he cut to the middle.  If you blame the RB for an attack that came from the LB side i can see how you can blame Murell for almost every goal.  

Murrell has been a big part of many defensive lapses when lined up as a CB or part of a back three, but I don't think he's been that bad when lined up at LB or RB, even if a left-footed player at right back looks weird.

I've been on holiday and missed a few matches. When did Thomas get rid of his hair?

I thought he and Thomas after years in USL would be solid, but they arent.  Mitter is no better.  Ugghhh, what a mess.  

But thats why i thought us getting the soft penalty today  was just a bit of justice, as no way Murell should have gotten that one against Forge.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

You are quite right! That was indeed Arguiñarena, our non-English speaker, and Mitter who had the communication problem. Murrell was not at fault for that goal.

Just saw the 2 minute highlight package on Can PL's YouTube page.

My two takeaways:

• Looked like a great crowd
  • That color commentator and her magnificent insight....😐
Edited by Macksam

We may be starting to turn the corner.  I thought that was our best line-up.  Murrell has been taken out of the middle of defence, Sacramento and Bustos playing in offensive formation, with Attardo up front.

Glad to see when our new Italian import came on, we left Attardo on the field.  

There was contact on the PK, but you might get that call 50% off the time.

Calgary's goal was on-side and a great goal.

Valour got their just reward and fully deserving of the point.

I think we finally take our 3 pts on Wednesday vs Pacific.

And let me also congratulate Cavalry on their outstanding week.  

Epic victory over MLS !  Three cheers to Cavalry !

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

Just rewatched the match.  Impressions unchanged but lots of thoughts.  

1).  More Craig Forrest please.  He's been at this media personality thing a long time already, he's learned to wear it, he wear it well and Canadian soccer/CPL needs it out there on the television.  OneSoccer you reading?  Get the man, winch The Dobson out of retirement and lets rock 'n roll.   

2).  MUCH BETTER from Valour, all around.  Looking better organized, in that everyone seems to understand each other responsibilty better, they're still trying to live life loving the ball (as they should) and there are teasing looks that maybe it can all come together.  Got a bit sketchy when they went to a back three during the late 2nd half press but otherwise a better than fair performance everywhere on the field against a still very capible Cavalry B team.  

3).  I hate these noon starts.  See on the broadcast the plastic was 46 degrees.  For those who weren't there for most of the match summer clouds kept the sun peeking in and out so I can just imagine what it would have been like if it was all blue skys on Saturday.  Ug. 

4).  Galan had a very solid start to his Valour career.  Very good movement, think the centre halfs (Mitter and Thomas from here on I'm guessing) will appreciate him and LBG working the hole in front of them.  Not the quickest of foot but looks like he may be a hard man to out-fox. 

5).  Speaking of centre halfs, Mitter continues to take charge and oh my, Skylar has put on his match face since coming back hasn't he?  I have it on good authority that he muttered the phrase "Nuf of this ****" no less than 87 times on Saturday. Good...good.

6).  MOTM, Sacramento with an honourable mention to Cavalry's Minatel and Valour's LBG.

7).  Speaking of Minatel, noticed he got from Valour a bit of what Marco Bustos is getting from every other team, special attention.  (Except of course on the goal where 'arena let him ghost onto Mitter's blind shoulder.  Booo!!!).

8).  Highlight of the night was neither goal but belongs to Nik Ledgerwood who post match was grinding the ref's gears about the penalty and then proceeded to shake the hands of the linesmen flanking the ref whilst leaving the ref empty handed and dangling.  That right there sums up why Cavalry is the club all CPL clubs need to emulate.  If it needs to be explained to you why you'll never get it.  CORRECTION.  Highlight of the night belongs to colour commentator Martinez-Lagunas trying not to break out laughing watching the episode.           

41 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

8).  Highlight of the night was neither goal but belongs to Nik Ledgerwood who post match was grinding the ref's gears about the penalty and then proceeded to shake the hands of the linesmen flanking the ref whilst leaving the ref empty handed and dangling.  That right there sums up why Cavalry is the club all CPL clubs need to emulate.  If it needs to be explained to you why you'll never get it.     

Good post J, except for this bit.

The only thing I get is that Ledgerwood behaves like a childish little pr!ck whenever the ref makes a call he doesn't agree with, even when the call was 100% correct. I do not want to see that from any Valour players.

Whatever happened to the "respect" campaign in football?

Exactly.  Nik was a comlete twat and if it was anyone else on Cavalry that tried to pull that stunt I'd have written a different take on those 10 seconds.  But it was Nik and he is to Foothills/Cavalry what no other player is to any other club out there, at least that I'm aware of.  His DNA is cloned into every layer of that organization. 

To his mind that draw was unacceptable, it was a homer call which cost Cavalvry the win, and he wasn't going to be shy about doing his small part in making sure the villian responsible knew how he felt.  Dick move or no.

I not going to worry too much about it at this point.  Karma is a ***** and she's got a long memmory.  Nik is 100% wrong about the penalty call, mistreated an official because he's wrong, and he'll get his sooner or later.