Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

36 minutes ago, Shway said:

Damn, who gave him that guarantee to be in the squad? I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from him, and was hoping to see someone else tbh. 

I knew there would be snubs, but wasn't thinking it would be for him. He's not very versatile. 

Wasn't in my predicted lists either. Given the talent we have in that list of 50 I thought the place would go elsewhere. He can play either wing can't he? I did expect Millar, Schaffelburg, Tabla, Choinière and Nelson to be ahead of him on the left. Zanatta has played at arguably a higher level and at LM and is much more versatile too. Hopefully it will be a good showcase for him to push on. 

25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Zanatta has more club experience at arguably a higher level. It depends what herdman and biello are looking for in terms of balance and play. Tbf I think zanatta and twardek definitely offer different things. 

That's fair, though it has been at a similar level IMO.  

Was he snubbed from the Toulon tournament or unavailable?  I thought he was poor for the U20s in 2017.  Regardless, I think it's clear that Twardek is higher on the CSA's depth chart based on history.  

I just think that based on our identity of the senior team, we play a 4-3-3 where the the wide 2 in the front 3 are actual 1v1 style wingers... Beat you with either speed or skill. From that Shaffelburg, Buchanan, Nelson, Bair, Tabla, Brym, Johnson, Raposo, Bahiya, Millar all fit that bill. 

I've never seen Twardek take a man 1v1 or even pace somebody, it was muscle thing because he was bigger than everybody at the time. I just think he's a legit RM/LM, a 442 kinda guy. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Zanatta has more club experience at arguably a higher level. It depends what herdman and biello are looking for in terms of balance and play. Tbf I think zanatta and twardek definitely offer different things. 

There's really no arguing that the Scottish Championship is a higher level than the Irish Premier Division, and they have played a similar number of matches at those levels. Not to mention that Zanatta hasn't been a consistent starter in the Scottish Champ this season. But yes, Zanatta is normally a striker and Twardek is normally a RW/RM, and only occasionally plays on the left nowadays, so I don't think it makes sense to compare them in the context of the final roster.

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

I just think that based on our identity of the senior team, we play a 4-3-3 where the the wide 2 in the front 3 are actual 1v1 style wingers... Beat you with either speed or skill. From that Shaffelburg, Buchanan, Nelson, Bair, Tabla, Brym, Johnson, Raposo, Bahiya, Millar all fit that bill. 

I've never seen Twardek take a man 1v1 or even pace somebody, it was muscle thing because he was bigger than everybody at the time. I just think he's a legit RM/LM, a 442 kinda guy. 

He can absolutely take players on 1v1, you seem to be basing your opinion on what you saw with the youth teams 2-4 years ago and I can assure you he has improved considerably in that time (and he wasn't bad back then), which is why he's now a key starter on one of the biggest clubs in Ireland.

I think you're right in that he is a very different style of winger from our other options, who are mostly direct attacking players that usually try to beat their man and get into the box, whereas Twardek is a bit more of a conventional winger who usually looks to play in a good cross from out wide.

But I don't think there's anything about the CMNT's style of play that means a player like Twardek "doesn't fit," in fact the different style of play he offers is exactly what makes him a shoe-in for the final roster since he adds a lot of flexibility to our attack on top of being one of the better wingers in the pool.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:24 AM, Obinna said:

Is anyone else unimpressed with the USA roster? I need to go take a closer look, but at first glance it seemed to be a team we should be competitive with, should we face them. Of course, that depends on who we call.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/11/armchair-analyst-us-olympic-qualifying-roster-has-huge-talent-advantage-over-past-u

Below are some snippets from Doyle's article. It brought me back from my comment last week on the USA team. I said I was unimpressed, but what I should have said was there seems to be a lot of players missing. I didn't mean the obvious ones, like Pulisic and McKennie, who were never going to be called to begin with. I meant guys like Keaton Parks, Mason Toye and Miles Robinson. The USA B team is still strong, but this B team could arguably have been stronger. Anyways, see below at all the other players who could have been selected but weren't:

Here's a list of the age-eligible players who weren't released by their clubs to the US U-23s for Concacaf Olympic Qualifying in 2020:

1. Christian Pulisic
  2. Tyler Adams
  3. Weston McKennie
  4. Sergino Dest
  5. Josh Sargent
  6. Gio Reyna
  7. Sam Vines
  8. Christian Cappis
  9. Cameron Carter-Vickers
  10. Chris Richards
  11. Brooks Lennon

Here are three other players who absolutely, positively would've been called in but not released if they weren't currently hurt:

1. Antonee Robinson
  2. Miles Robinson
  3. Tim Weah

Here is a non-exhaustive list of other players who maybe weren't called up, or maybe weren't released:

1. Mason Toye
  2. Ricardo Pepi
  3. Brandon Servania
  4. Aboubacar Keita
  5. Chris Durkin
  6. Donovan Pines
  7. Frankie Amaya
  8. Jonathan Amon
  9. Emmanuel Sabbi
  10. Bryce Duke
  11. Tanner Tessman
  12. Gianluca Busio
  13. Kyle Duncan
  14. Keaton Parks
  15. James Sands
  16. Auston Trusty
  17. Cole Bassett
  18. Mauricio Pineda
  19. Benji Michel
  20. Henry Kessler
  21. Dylan Nealis
  22. Robbie Robinson
  23. Matt Real
  24. Alex Mendez
  25. Sebastian Soto
Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Mute point Zanatta will not be released by his club from what I have heard

1 minute ago, zaltan said:

Mute point Zanatta will not be released by his club from what I have heard

That is too bad. I know he has been prevented in the past like this too. I honestly wasn't expecting him to make the final list anyway. We have a lot of depth and he isn't a starter ahead of the majority of that striker pool or our winger pool. His versatility would have been attractive. 

37 minutes ago, toontownman said:

That is too bad. I know he has been prevented in the past like this too. I honestly wasn't expecting him to make the final list anyway. We have a lot of depth and he isn't a starter ahead of the majority of that striker pool or our winger pool. His versatility would have been attractive. 

A tournament like this we need some depth and while I don't think he would be a starter, I think he would have logged some decent minutes for us

9 hours ago, spitfire said:

No inside info sorry I’m away for work... got that date from twitter

That was days ago. Given the number of players coming from Europe to play in this tournament, surely it's going to be cancelled or at a minimum the rosters delayed so they can switch to all North American-based players.

21 minutes ago, zaltan said:

Can not see this going ahead with all that has happened in the last 24hrs

It's almost a certainty. How can the US team compete when MLS is cancelled and they are pulling players from all over. 

The question is whether they cancel it before the CSA release the roster. Seriously at this point cancelling is the right move and I am ok with it... BUT if speculating for year on the roster and we never know who made the cut. My tiny mind can't cope. 

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

at this point is there even going to be an olympics to qualify for?

Yeah that is also almost certainly off if this keeps escalating, the Euros are apparently going to be rescheduled for 2021.

The rate that everything has blown up today will have a huge knock on effect everywhere, i think. 

Edited by toontownman
Got a bit too scaremongery negative.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's almost a certainty. How can the US team compete when MLS is cancelled and they are pulling players from all over. 

The question is whether they cancel it before the CSA release the roster. Seriously at this point cancelling is the right move and I am ok with it... BUT if speculating for year on the roster and we never know who made the cut. My tiny mind can't cope. 

The American team is already in Guadalajara training according to a comment on one of the broadcasts (forget which one).  It is also mentioned in an MLS article posted on March 9th.

USMNT and USWNT games have just been cancelled, not looking good for the qualifiers...

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021