Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

That is pretty mental having to have 3 keepers in such a small squad. I don't understand why it isn't 23. Why limit the nations?

It will be worse in the summer it was only a 18 man squad in 2016.

Knowing our luck we will actually qualify this time, then it will be cancelled due to the Coronavirus. 

Watch TFC refuse to release Fraser and us call a TFC II team.  The writing is basically on the wall.  It's almost advantageous for TFC to refuse to release Fraser because a) they don't care how Canada does and b) they get to send a developmental player for "experience", which they'll otherwise never get with their club.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

Double check the kickoff times!

They changed the time for our game on March 27th :) :) :) 

http://www.concacaf.com/en/olympics-qualifying-men/article/provisional-rosters-announced-for-2020-concacaf-men-s-olympic-qualifying-championship

There is no longer a broadcast overlap with the #CanMNT game!

U23's @ 7pm EST

Senior team @ 10:30pm EST 

Don't say it...
Don't say it...
Don't say it...

Well done CONCACAF!

The Haiti squad lists:
Josué Duverger http://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=4251&t=profile&
Matteo Cantave http://canadasoccer.com/?pid=5346&t=profile&
who I believe are not cap-tied to Haiti.
While ex-Fury player Jimmy-Shammar Sanon (whom I rated highly and who is cap-tied to Haiti) is nowhere to be found. It looks like his career completely imploded. https://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=3754&t=profile&

@Blackdude did I miss any other Canadians on their squad?

http://mcusercontent.com/78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5/files/92e7a32f-796e-42b9-af2b-f0d7166d4246/20_MOQ_Rosters_Provisional_Lists.pdf

@ Other posters

Any Canadians or names of interest listed by other nations?

6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The Haiti squad lists:
Josué Duverger http://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=4251&t=profile&
Matteo Cantave http://canadasoccer.com/?pid=5346&t=profile&
who I believe are not cap-tied to Haiti.
While ex-Fury player Jimmy-Shammar Sanon (whom I rated highly and who is cap-tied to Haiti) is nowhere to be found. It looks like his career completely imploded. https://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=3754&t=profile&

@Blackdude did I miss any other Canadians on their squad?

http://mcusercontent.com/78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5/files/92e7a32f-796e-42b9-af2b-f0d7166d4246/20_MOQ_Rosters_Provisional_Lists.pdf

@ Other posters

Any Canadians or names of interest listed by other nations?

Abraham Duverger who might be Josué's brother. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Watch TFC refuse to release Fraser and us call a TFC II team.  The writing is basically on the wall.  It's almost advantageous for TFC to refuse to release Fraser because a) they don't care how Canada does and b) they get to send a developmental player for "experience", which they'll otherwise never get with their club.  

Fraser is a likely starter for TFC. The second Bradley's injury was announced, Fraser's stock rose at TFC to the point where most here knew that he wouldn't be called for the U23s.

Unless I am going crazy TFC only play one match in that period on March 21st, away to Cincinnati. Next match is April 4th. They couldn't sacrifice him for one game? Probably not lol

Edit: Shome and ZBG are in the same boat. One away game in Minnesota on the 21st. 

Edited by toontownman

Looking at the roster and trying to trim it down to 20 is very difficult.

Is Tabla is at risk at missing out? I know it kind of sounds like an outrageous thing to suggest. But hear me out...

Byrn and Nelsen made very good impressions last senior camp. Miller is obviously playing at a high level at the moment. Raposo is a dark horse and so is Schaffleburg. Bair had a good senior camp by all accounts too, plus he is a little different with his size, so I think will be selected. What about Borges? We are not going to take all of those players AND Tabla. Someone is going to miss out.

The next few weeks are going to be critical. The final squad will be announced on the 11th. That essentially gives the MLS based players two rounds to convince the CSA. 

If I had to take 6 players from that group right now, I would go with: Miller, Bair, Byrn, Nelsen, Borges and Tabla.

That said, I can see Raposo sneaking in somewhere.

Finally, a word on Nelsen. On paper he may be the least deserving, due to his age. However, I get the sense he is very highly rated internally, for better or worse. And again, he took his senior chance well. I wouldn't bet on him missing out.

Edited by Obinna

It's bloody hard and probably why this has been my favourite thread since it was started. So many options. 

In the end I think players not being able to come will narrow down the list for CSA staff. Definitely a few too many attacking players for the amount of spots. 

3 keepers in such a small squad is maddening. Also why I think we will take 1 LB if Cornelius and Miller come as someone else mentioned. That would be harsh on abzi.

We don't have a lot of depth in CM, especially if Fraser cant come. Shome, Fraser, okello and Paton would probably be our best four. Do we sacrifice one of those because Nelsen can play through the middle?

With Tabla, he is definitely at risk but I think he is also ahead of raposo and probably choiniere. Buchanan could be dark horse too. I'd do agree with your 6 @Obinna but  think schaffleburg will be there too. 

Also will two strikers be enough in Brym and Bair? With 20 we might not have a choice. I wouldnt call either of them target men. They like to play wide. It's a toss up between Zanatta, Campbell and Ongaro for me for the 3rd. Zanatta versatility might help. Ongaro would be a useful weapon and wild card but it could be a coming out party for Campbell.

So what the hell a revised list:

3 keepers: Breza, Pantemis and Hasal

2 RBs: ZBG, Godinho

4 CBs: Cornelius, Millar, TMG, 

1 LB: Bassong 

4 CM: Paton, Fraser, Okello, Shome

3 wingers: Tabla, Schaffelburg, Nelsen

3 strikers: Brym, Bair, Ongaro

Ah left out Borges..fuck.

Ah the glory and folly of pointless pontificating.

50 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's bloody hard and probably why this has been my favourite thread since it was started. So many options. 

In the end I think players not being able to come will narrow down the list for CSA staff. Definitely a few too many attacking players for the amount of spots. 

3 keepers in such a small squad is maddening. Also why I think we will take 1 LB if Cornelius and Miller come as someone else mentioned. That would be harsh on abzi.

We don't have a lot of depth in CM, especially if Fraser cant come. Shome, Fraser, okello and Paton would probably be our best four. Do we sacrifice one of those because Nelsen can play through the middle?

With Tabla, he is definitely at risk but I think he is also ahead of raposo and probably choiniere. Buchanan could be dark horse too. I'd do agree with your 6 @Obinna but  think schaffleburg will be there too. 

Also will two strikers be enough in Brym and Bair? With 20 we might not have a choice. I wouldnt call either of them target men. They like to play wide. It's a toss up between Zanatta, Campbell and Ongaro for me for the 3rd. Zanatta versatility might help. Ongaro would be a useful weapon and wild card but it could be a coming out party for Campbell.

So what the hell a revised list:

3 keepers: Breza, Pantemis and Hasal

2 RBs: ZBG, Godinho

4 CBs: Cornelius, Millar, TMG, 

1 LB: Bassong 

4 CM: Paton, Fraser, Okello, Shome

3 wingers: Tabla, Schaffelburg, Nelsen

3 strikers: Brym, Bair, Ongaro

Ah left out Borges..****.

Ah the glory and folly of pointless pontificating.

You also only have 19 guys listed. Even though Meilleur-Giguere has two last names, he only counts as one person. You said 4 CBs but listed three, so I guess Borges will slot in at CB in your roster :)

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

You also only have 19 guys listed. Even though Meilleur-Giguere has two last names, he only counts as one person. You said 4 CBs but listed three, so I guess Borges will slot in at CB in your roster :)

Ha, meant to go back and check the spelling for Sturing and add him in! Ironic given the below.

8 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Millar and Borges at CB. What could go wrong 

Good reminder...I also left Miller out ;) 

Really I blame using Obinna as my reference for the ongoing Miller/Millar confusion. Sorry in advance about that bus I threw you under Obinna.

A bit suprising how few of the squad from 4 years developed. Crepeau and Piette are the only regular MLS players, a couple part time mls, but mostly CPL/USL.

Hopefully some of these guys end up a bit better. My team would be.

GK: Pantemis, Hasal, St. Clair

DF: Bassong, ZBG, Cornelius, Godinho, Miller, Montgomery 

MF: Borges, Choiniere, Fraser, Shome, Paton, Okello

FW: Bair, Brym, Millar, Campbell Tabla

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

A bit suprising how few of the squad from 4 years developed. Crepeau and Piette are the only regular MLS players, a couple part time mls, but mostly CPL/USL.

Hopefully some of these guys end up a bit better. My team would be.

GK: Pantemis, Hasal, St. Clair

DF: Bassong, ZBG, Cornelius, Godinho, Miller, Montgomery 

MF: Borges, Choiniere, Fraser, Shome, Paton, Okello

FW: Bair, Brym, Millar, Campbell Tabla

Just goes to show you why its important to have a large pool playing in professional environments as even with U-23s its still a crap shoot as to who will turn out to be a regular professional footballer at the MLS or equivalent level (which is the low bar these days for national team consideration).  CPL will and is really helping in this regard.

14 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

A bit surprising how few of the squad from 4 years developed. Crepeau and Piette are the only regular MLS players, a couple part time mls, but mostly CPL/USL.

Interesting to go back and look at the roster from 2016 qualifying.  Four have disappeared from the pro scene. Eleven have or will be playing in the CanPL.

1- GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Impact Montréal
2- FB- Johnny Grant | CAN / FC Montréal 
3- M- Giuliano Frano | USA / Seattle Sounders FC 2*
4- CB- Jackson Farmer | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
5- CB- Luca Gasparotto | SCO / Greenock Morton FC
6- M- Chris Mannella | CAN / Toronto FC
7- M- Mauro Eustáquio | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
8- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC
9- F- Anthony Jackson-Hamel | CAN / Impact Montréal
10- F- Caleb Clarke | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
11- M- Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé | CAN / Impact Montréal
12- GK- Quillan Roberts | CAN / Toronto FC
13- M- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
14- M- Samuel Piette | ESP / Racing Ferrol
15- M- Ben Fisk | ESP / Deportivo La Coruña B
16- M- Molham Babouli | CAN / Toronto FC II
17- M- Hanson Boakai | CAN / FC Edmonton
18- GK- Ricky Gomes | POR / AC Malveira
19- CB- Skylar Thomas | CAN / Toronto FC II
20- M- Dylan Carreiro | SCO / Dundee

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Interesting to go back and look at the roster from 2016 qualifying.  Four have disappeared from the pro scene. Eleven have or will be playing in the CanPL.

1- GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Impact Montréal
2- FB- Johnny Grant | CAN / FC Montréal 
3- M- Giuliano Frano | USA / Seattle Sounders FC 2*
4- CB- Jackson Farmer | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
5- CB- Luca Gasparotto | SCO / Greenock Morton FC
6- M- Chris Mannella | CAN / Toronto FC
7- M- Mauro Eustáquio | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
8- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC
9- F- Anthony Jackson-Hamel | CAN / Impact Montréal
10- F- Caleb Clarke | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
11- M- Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé | CAN / Impact Montréal
12- GK- Quillan Roberts | CAN / Toronto FC
13- M- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
14- M- Samuel Piette | ESP / Racing Ferrol
15- M- Ben Fisk | ESP / Deportivo La Coruña B
16- M- Molham Babouli | CAN / Toronto FC II
17- M- Hanson Boakai | CAN / FC Edmonton
18- GK- Ricky Gomes | POR / AC Malveira
19- CB- Skylar Thomas | CAN / Toronto FC II
20- M- Dylan Carreiro | SCO / Dundee

True, but back in those days we would be raving over a starting 11 of:

Crepeau

Grant - Gasparotto - Thomas - Frano

Piette

Petrasso - Fisk

Carreiro

Boakai - Jackson-Hamel

There was a ton of hype around Petrasso, Piette, Carreiro, and Boakai back then.  Petrasso was a can't miss prospect.  Boakai had more hype around him than any forward we have on this 50-man list.

So I wouldn't necessarily laud how far we've come.

Remember when Boakai was running rampant against Ottawa in V-cup and got a goal and an assist??  I was more hyped on him than anyone since Jaime Peters.  But it was a simpler time, the LEGO movie gave us all a reason to believe in dreams.  

https://the11.ca/teenage-fanclub-boakais-magical-night-propels-fce-into-voyageurs-cup-semifinal-2/

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmontons-hanson-boakai-scores-call-up-to-canadian-mens-national-team

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

Did they just mention that Cornelius is heading to the u23 camp on the Whitecaps broadcast?  Did I hear that right?

Sounded like it. I took it as speculation on their part though. He didn't have the best game tonight. He didn't make too many mistakes, but his long passing was inaccurate and he could be a fraction quicker with the ball at his feet. 

I see that Miller didn't even get in the game today. Disappointing. 

http://www.twitter.com/thevoyageurs/status/1234656558295986176

Looks like Tuesday, March 10th, is the CSA's deadline to submit the final 20-player roster on behalf of Biello.

and Friday, March 13th, CONCACAF will publish the final 20-player rosters of all the teams on their website.

US Roster is released on tonight’s LAFC broadcast. Mostly MLS players but a few Euro based players in Llanez and Ledezma, to name two. A few senior team players made the list from the brief glance I saw on the screen - Reggie Cannon, Paxton Pomykal, Jackson Yeuill ..... not going to be easy 

On 2/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, RS said:

Fraser is a likely starter for TFC. The second Bradley's injury was announced, Fraser's stock rose at TFC to the point where most here knew that he wouldn't be called for the U23s.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:48 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Well it looks like TFC wont have any excuses not to release Fraser for this tourney.  Vanney fooled us all and isnt playing him anyway.  

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021