Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Was just about to say this. 
If eligible, one would have to assume he's a lock. As he's played for Hollad youth teams before.

Looked him up on Transfermarket.  Seems he's been in and out of the squad this year.  I don't know, does a squad player in second division Holland qualify as a lock?  I would say no.

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Versatile players are going to be valued here.  I think we'll only take one LB as Godinho, Cornelius and Miller can all play there as well and they should be there.  So Bassong or Abzi?  You have to think the guy with 2 caps is the favourite.   

I agree. But it all depends if Bassong gets called up to the CMNT if so then Abzi, if he doesn't then it's definitely his spot based on what we've all seen. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I agree. But it all depends if Bassong gets called up to the CMNT if so then Abzi, if he doesn't then it's definitely his spot based on what we've all seen. 

Bassong hasn't played a first team match this year.  It would be a huge letdown if he was called to our full MNT.  I'd expect to see Adekugbe and Morgan/Cordova.

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Can we just move on from Morgan. He's meat and potatoes at this point. Seems like a good dude and hopefully he has a good career but he should be no where on our national team radar. We're better than that

It’s fun to say that but who would you call instead?  During this u23 call up period hes right there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s fun to say that but who would you call instead?  During this u23 call up period hes right there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team

Cordova, Adekugbe, Laryea.

Cordova can and Laryea can play both sides. Rusty can deputy at LB to as well if needed. But I don't care if Morgan is in the team either, he just doesn't need to play.

This is actually tough to do, but here's my projected 20:

GOALKEEPERS: 
Pantemis, Norguiera

DEFENDERS:
RB: Brault-Guillard, Godinho (although I would like to see someone other than him i.e Bayiha or Boakye)
RCB: Sturing, Meilleur-Giguere or Montgomery
LCB: Miller, Cornelius
LB: Bassong

MIDFIELDERS:
CDM: Fraser, Shome, Okello, Paton, 
CAM: Borges, Nelson

FORWARDS:
Brym, Shaffelburg, Millar, Tabla, Bair

________

Morgan is not my favorite player, but if he wins the starting spot at RSL and starts the season well, he may be in contention for a senior call. That could allow Miller to drop down to the Olympic qualifying team. Might not be the worst thing as Miller's time with the senior team could be valuable to the young group, although the knock on effect could be that Abzi misses out, which would be a shame because I really like his game. He kind of reminds me of Ali Adnan. 

Edited by Obinna

I like the potential depth of the roster, hopefully most of our first choices are available, to that end I think Millar will be released by Liverpool, why wouldn't the club want him to gain valuable experience playing in a tournament like this and as @CanadaFan123 points out the timing wouldn't conflict with the potential of him getting in to a first team EPL match if that in fact might be in the cards!

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Kepper  Matthew Nogueira.....

Ummm I thiink I missed this guy as well??  Whats his story?

I looked up Nogueira's season so far.  He is playing for the Maritimo U23s.  He has made the 18 twice this year.  Once, he stayed on the bench.  The other he played and they lost 4-0, their worst loss of the year. 

What an eye-opener.  Canada has come a long way...wow tough to narrow down the list:

• GK: St.Clair, Pantemis
  • LB: Bassong, Abzi
  • CB: Cornelius, Miller, Sturing, TMG
  • RB: Godinho, ZBG
  • CM: Fraser, Paton
  • AM: Borges, Chioniere
  • Wingers: Tabla, Shaffelburg
  • Secondary Strikers: Millar
  • Center Forward: Bair, Campbell, Ongaro

I know I will get blasted for including Ongaro but he offers something completely different.

In a tournament against smaller opponents he could be immensely useful.

I also had a predisposition to call people who are playing often.

Edited by DigzTFC

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Looked him up on Transfermarket.  Seems he's been in and out of the squad this year.  I don't know, does a squad player in second division Holland qualify as a lock?  I would say no.

Bassong got a call up to the senior side and he hasn't played a single minute for a first team. Brym got a call up to the senior side under nearly the same circumstances. 

He's a lock because he's a dual international and they'll definitely want a look. Also he's a lock because why would they include him if they didn't communicate with him that he would be apart of this team and not just a list. 

Obviously this is just IMO, but it seems logical. 

Frank Sturing? Just when we thought we'd gotten to the point where we know anyone and everyone eligible for Canada, a name pops up I've never seen before. Squad player in the Dutch 2nd division at 22 years old is not bad for us when you're a centre back, but not thrilling either. Have to think he'll be in the squad or else why put him on the 50?

12 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Frank Sturing? Just when we thought we'd gotten to the point where we know anyone and everyone eligible for Canada, a name pops up I've never seen before. Squad player in the Dutch 2nd division at 22 years old is not bad for us when you're a centre back, but not thrilling either. Have to think he'll be in the squad or else why put him on the 50?

Finally, CSA doing a better job of finding talent then the Voyageurs.

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021