Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

Just now, Free kick said:

The announcer made a good point.  At this time if the year,  the mexicans are in mid season form.   All the more reason for avoiding them if we make the semis.  

For that reason, I like our chances against the Americans better than the Mexicans.  Who is the play by play person?

12 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

Scouting impressions... both these teams can beat us badly... BOTH... BADLY... like 3-0... Mexico maybe 4 or 5

atleast watching the Cayman Islands squad made me feel better

This is the first I've watched of either of these teams and have no idea how many regular starters are playing, I will agree both teams look way more dangerous on attack than us, I would still prefer not to play the host for numerous reasons!

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

For that reason, I like our chances against the Americans better than the Mexicans.  Who is the play by play person?

Jordan Angeli, former US U20 player:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Angeli

I'm glad they dropped the know-nothing twit who did the colour for the previous match with her, she's fine on her own without him.

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm glad they dropped the know-nothing twit who did the colour for the previous match with her, she's fine on her own without him.

I don't normally listen to pbp during broadcasts but I don't know the players here.  When Canada plays, I know who they are so on goes the mute.

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Not sure what you mean. A win is the only way to top the group and not get Mexico.

Yes, sorry my bad, we will be better off playing for a win in the long run anyway, who knows what happens in the ES Haiti match, if we lost 2-0 and ES wins 2-0 we're out!

13 minutes ago, gator said:

Yes, sorry my bad, we will be better off playing for a win in the long run anyway, who knows what happens in the ES Haiti match, if we lost 2-0 and ES wins 2-0 we're out!

There is very good chance we will go through to the semis. Remember,  the Hai-ES game will be played before the Can-Hon game.  So we will know exactly the result we need to advance before the game starts.   This is huge advantage (and an unfair one to be honnest).   Also, the two teams could end up playing for draw.  

Edited by Free kick

15 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

I don't care how the Haiti - Honduras game ends.. Canada needs to play for the win and avoid Mexico at all costs 

What do you mean at all costs? You'd prefer they get knocked out this round than have to play Mexico next round?

Edited by Aird25

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

What do you mean at all costs? You'd prefer they get knocked out this round than have to play Mexico next round?

Yeah i too had trouble with the “at all costs” quote.   Yes, for the reasons i mentioned above,  the US would seem to be the more favourable matchup.    But at this point, the first objective is still to advance.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

She said the same thing against DR after the first half. It didn't strike me as a brilliant observation just an American making excuses as usual 

1 hour ago, Tyson M said:

Scouting impressions... both these teams can beat us badly... BOTH... BADLY... like 3-0... Mexico maybe 4 or 5

Yeah, that was my impression as well. USA had a momentary laps and lacked a little creativity in the final 3rd but otherwise kept up with Mexico.

Both looked like they were playing in fast-forward compared with Canada and the opponents we've faced thus far.

Yeah, the USA didn't send their best team, but can still call up 18+ established pros getting weekly MLS (or higher level) minutes. We've got a few guys at that level, but not enough to fill out a game sheet.

Still some work to do.

16 hours ago, red card said:

Yes, both on paper and on the pitch.

Mexico has a A- team on paper. US is a B-. Pre tournament Mexican fans were discussing what medal they'll win at Tokyo - will it be another gold as in London 2012?

In reality I would say this is US’ C- team and Mexico’s B+. 

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

In reality I would say this is US’ C- team and Mexico’s B+. 

All the more reason to get a win tonight, both teams look better than us, the Mexicans are going to be more acclimatized to the altitude, there will be some fans and we will have to deal with corrupt refereeing, I'm curious to what rating you give our Canadian team?

4 minutes ago, gator said:

All the more reason to get a win tonight, both teams look better than us, the Mexicans are going to be more acclimatized to the altitude, there will be some fans and we will have to deal with corrupt refereeing, I'm curious to what rating you give our Canadian team?

I would agree that beating Mexico in this tournament would be essentially an impossible task for us. The US would be a huge challenge too but at least there’s a chance.

personally I would say this is our “B-“ roster. We’re obviously missing our two best talents, and then 3-4 “likely starters” after that.  

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What I mean is that if Canada is only +1 on goal diff after the Haiti-Honduras game they can't play for the tie, they need to try to win because playing Mexico in the finals is a lost cause.