Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Corbeanu should be with our Olympic team. We are missing players in form with pace and he won't be significant against these WC rivals. 

Don't they want to cap him, because he's got another nationality that he was looking at playing for?

17 minutes ago, nfitz said:

No consummation necessary?

None, he’s filed his one time switch and it’s been approved, I didn’t look up the whole thing but when he filed the switch he became ineligible for both until the approval, at which point he voided his eligibility with Romania and became eligible for us.

6 hours ago, lamptern said:

If I were American, I would use a whole B-squad for tomorrow's game against Mexico. Then full throttle for the semis.

Why, I haven’t watched either team yet but is Mexico really that much stronger? 

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why, I haven’t watched either team yet but is Mexico really that much stronger? 

Yes, both on paper and on the pitch.

Mexico has a A- team on paper. US is a B-. Pre tournament Mexican fans were discussing what medal they'll win at Tokyo - will it be another gold as in London 2012?

So far, US has laboured on the pitch. GK won them the match v CR and only took apart DR after they ran out of gas. Mexico looked very complacent v DR but won easily and looked quite good v CR and scored the goal of the tournament so far.

47 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Now 5-0 Costa Rica with 15 minutes to go. Not that scoring more goals is going to help them at all

I feel bad for them. Truly the group of death. They beat the DR by a bigger margin than the others.

They had an equal number of shots on target when they played Mexico.

They had 4 times the number of shots on target when they played the USA and better stats for everything else...except that they lost by a goal.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

21 minutes into the Mex-US game;  not a very well played game.  Might also say that it’s quite boring.  Very little sustained possession,  buildup is non existent, poor passing,  lots of 50-50 balls... etc

Edited by Free kick

21 minutes ago, narduch said:

Neither team really cares which opponent they get in the other group 

Perhaps.  But these are two sides that really hate losing to each other.   So i would think that even a meaningless match should bring out the best efforts.

Edited by Free kick