Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We have the rare opportunity for a West Germany-Austria-esque non-aggression pact with Honduras that would see both teams go through on a draw, but somehow I don't think we'll make such an overture.

That is such a pickle...a truce with the Hondurans?  What would all those that lived through 8-1 think about this.  Nope, we fight!  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not really. If we don’t get a result in the last game we will have gone from win to draw to draw/loss - as we head into a game probably against Mexico.  

There will be plenty of anxiety.  

But we’ll know that we get another chance 

42 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Also looking at our overall tournament so far, 2 clean sheets in 2 games is not too shabby, even if most of that is thanks to Pantemis.

to be fair... Honduras arguably only won their game with the goal differential they got due to the CONCACAF shenanigans that took place. I like our chances against them

Just now, Aird25 said:

I haven’t watched any games from the other group but why do we want USA over Mexico? Their goal differentials are almost the same 

Mexico clearly has the best team on paper..they’re also on their home turf. 
the gap between Mexico and US squads is probably as big as the gap between US and the #3 team. It’s significant.

Just now, Aird25 said:

I haven’t watched any games from the other group but why do we want USA over Mexico? Their goal differentials are almost the same 

I recommend you watch highlights of the Mexico and USA games then... USA barely survived Costa Rica, Mexico downright walked over them. Dominican Republic doesn't really specialize in soccer.

Just now, Floortom said:

Mexico clearly has the best team on paper..they’re also on their home turf. 
the gap between Mexico and US squads is probably as big as the gap between US and the #3 team. It’s significant.

not just on paper. Mexico's performances so far get a greater grade on the eye test too.

37 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We have the rare opportunity for a West Germany-Austria-esque non-aggression pact with Honduras that would see both teams go through on a draw, but somehow I don't think we'll make such an overture.

more than likely Mexico wins their group.. but if they get upset by the USA then things will get VERY interesting hehe... I mean, ultimately the goal of this tournament qualifying to the Olympics. I'll gladly take that draw or even an L if it means avoiding Mexico...

Edited by LeoH037

24 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

to be fair... Honduras arguably only won their game with the goal differential they got due to the CONCACAF shenanigans that took place. I like our chances against them

10 men, no subs and goalie, I agree it’s a pretty big advantage.

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think it'll most definitely look like that G-L. Neither team will force. Both will rest players and rotate. Carded players won't play. Neither will want to get caught out. We'll cede possession and counter. Maybe on free kicks we'll try. Maybe a few players will take a stab at scoring. 

0-0 and both through, come what may. 

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it'll most definitely look like that G-L. Neither team will force. Both will rest players and rotate. Carded players won't play. Neither will want to get caught out. We'll cede possession and counter. Maybe on free kicks we'll try. Maybe a few players will take a stab at scoring. 

0-0 and both through, come what may. 

I suspect if Mexico beats the US as we all think they will, Honduras will want a tie or win to avoid them and we will want a win.  If Mexico somehow loses to the US and the other match is tied or either El Salvador or Haiti win by a goal, it will be like the Belgium/England match at the last World Cup where we will both play our subs and hope to lose by only 1 or tie in our case.

8 hours ago, grigorio said:

Thing I notice watching this Honduras game is every single one of these Honduran players feels like they can score the big goal and wants to go and do it. Full of energy. Full of immediate positive momentum. Now they might not score, but the belief and aggression that every one of these players have is enviable. 

Again, the mentality. The will, drive and determination. Our program has always lacked it. I hope there's a change withinin our program as Herdman has made it clear he is focused on changing that part of our culture. Beating US Virgin Islands 8-0 is one thing (instead of 5-0) but I want to see scruff-of-the-neck results when they matter. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Corbeanu should be with our Olympic team. We are missing players in form with pace and he won't be significant against these WC rivals. 

While I do agree with you, I just think it's likely promises that were made by Herdman that are coming to fruition. I am sure a bargaining chip to get him to switch was that he'd be straight into the senior team. 

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Corbeanu should be with our Olympic team. We are missing players in form with pace and he won't be significant against these WC rivals. 

Agree.

8 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

While I do agree with you, I just think it's likely promises that were made by Herdman that are coming to fruition. I am sure a bargaining chip to get him to switch was that he'd be straight into the senior team. 

Agree.

But damn it would have been nice to have someone who can finish in the OQ game last night.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I want Canada to play whoever finishes second in Group A. I'd rather for that team to be USA, but I want Canada to win our group even more than I want us to avoid Mexico.

I want Canada to avoid Mexico in a semi because I want them to qualify to the Olympics, that's the end goal here, and the gap between the USA and Mexico is fairly clear this tournament.