Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

56 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It seems a bit more Special K’s style...

55 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Nope ahaha it was @Footyeh

21 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

The Peter Griffin of Soccer ! Why !!! Just why ?!? This would never happen in a real football nation ! I’m sorry but it true

@Dominic94 - still sure? 

40 minutes ago, RS said:

Right, but depth issues at CB have nothing to do with the CSA’s financial situation. 

If Vitoria and Kennedy were available for the senior team, both sides would be in a much better position.

22 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What about Romeo? Odd that he wasn’t called. 

Im hoping that Zator is called to the MNT but bracing myself for a Didic recall.

Or NS'a, Yao, or Dunn (who is finished quarantining) ....

I know it may seem like I question the financial aspects of the CSA a lot. Which I admit I have limited actual knowledge of outside of their annual reports. But @RS you seem to be a secret defence agent for all things related at any chance you get - while neglecting the simple sporting aspect specifically.  

However assuming that due to the CB issues with the senior team....I guess we're going to assume that the guys listed above, and Sturring, along with Zator, Didic, Miller, will be listed for the upcoming WC matches? I'll digress if this is so, but I highly doubt it.

It just doesn't make sense from a sporting aspect to not have a like-for-like replacement, especially in tournaments like this. Although I love that Farsi and Abzi are in the squad now. We just have to hope DC and CM are iron men, or a player will be potentially played out of position which could affect the overall team.

Disappointing to lose a CB with such a weak area already. HUGE chance for Montgomery who we have hoped would emerge in MLS by now. Potential springboard for him. Agree they must feel comfortable with Norman Jnr. or others filling in at CB if needed. Seems risky, big shame for Yao/Dunn.

While it is quite possible he gets zero minutes, Farsi could be our wildcard. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Or NS'a, Yao, or Dunn (who is finished quarantining) ....

I know it may seem like I question the financial aspects of the CSA a lot. Which I admit I have limited actual knowledge of outside of their annual reports. But @RS you seem to be a secret defence agent for all things related at any chance you get - while neglecting the simple sporting aspect specifically.  

However assuming that due to the CB issues with the senior team....I guess we're going to assume that the guys listed above, and Sturring, along with Zator, Didic, Miller, will be listed for the upcoming WC matches? I'll digress if this is so, but I highly doubt it.

It just doesn't make sense from a sporting aspect to not have a like-for-like replacement, especially in tournaments like this. Although I love that Farsi and Abzi are in the squad now. We just have to hope DC and CM are iron men, or a player will be potentially played out of position which could affect the overall team.

Yes, me pointing out that the CB depth pool is thin (which everyone here knows all too well, except you apparently) is me defending Canada Soccer. Jesus Christ get a new schtick already. 

Romeo’s club team likely stopped him from joining, Dunn was doing nothing for two weeks until Wednesday, I don’t know what’s going on with those other guys. It’s been repeated on this board that there are more players in Mexico than have been announced, corroborated by today’s “call-ups,” so what exactly did I say that was factually incorrect?

I think Biello was dumb for not calling in more than 3 CBs, but I know we’ll enough that it’s not as easy as posting names on a message board. This is especially true for this tournament where the senior team clearly takes priority.

27 minutes ago, Shway said:

Any zoom watch parties lol

Feel free to jump in on the Wheatpool one if anyone wants! Most people are working at that time but there should be a couple of us in. 

The Wheatpool Supporters Section is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Mens Olympic Qualifying: Canada vs El Salvador
Time: Mar 19, 2021 03:55 PM Saskatchewan

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/98827433750?pwd=MXlubzVxWWU0T09mZk1SZ2t5UHhqdz09

Meeting ID: 988 2743 3750
Passcode: 861582
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,98827433750#,,,,*861582# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,98827433750#,,,,*861582# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 988 2743 3750
Passcode: 861582
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acTyq9JX4s

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

So other than the 18 year old who never plays for Lille, are there many Mexican U23 players in Europe who were not taken for this tourney? I realize DR are parking the bus big-time here but on the basis of the first half and will likely tired big-time in the 2nd half I wasn't overly-blown away by the quality on display from the Mexicans given they are also playing at home and there are actual fans in the stands. A few players like Antuna have stood out and I have no idea how solid their defense is on the basis of the first 45 given that it is not even being remotely tested. But I'm wondering if Mexico has been depleted by the same extent that the US and Canada have been with U23 eligible players who were not ever going to be made available for this tourney. The US & Canada are fielding B teams (arguably B minus for Canada, maybe even C+ with the 9 TFC absentees added to the players that will be taken for the senior team or the Euro-based players who didn't get released), I'm curious if anyone knows if this is basically a Mexican A-team for this level, or at least A-.

It's probably a A- team. They have 2/3 players in Europe who could have been selected if allowed to travel. 1/2 were selected for the senior team friendlies. And 1/2 players selected could be up for debate. Lineup against DR wasn't the best available though. Mexico is also coming into this tourney thinking about what medal they'll get at the Olympics. So a match against DR isn't top of mind - reminds me of Canada junior hockey team playing the Denmark's of the world.

All 4 teams played at a slower pace than I expected but it was hot and at altitude. CR was most disappointing but they had good chances - US goalkeeper was selected MOTM. Backline looked shaky for both US & CR. 

37 minutes ago, RS said:

Yes, me pointing out that the CB depth pool is thin (which everyone here knows all too well, except you apparently) is me defending Canada Soccer. Jesus Christ get a new schtick already. 

Romeo’s club team likely stopped him from joining, Dunn was doing nothing for two weeks until Wednesday, I don’t know what’s going on with those other guys. It’s been repeated on this board that there are more players in Mexico than have been announced, corroborated by today’s “call-ups,” so what exactly did I say that was factually incorrect?

I think Biello was dumb for not calling in more than 3 CBs, but I know we’ll enough that it’s not as easy as posting names on a message board. This is especially true for this tournament where the senior team clearly takes priority.

Romeo's a walking red card.  Dunn couldn't train with the team and would miss the first game.  Yao has all of a game and a half of experience.

I know Shway will hold that 26 minutes on the pitch against Haiti against him for the rest of his playing career, but Godinho is a better option than all of them.

Any team in this tournament is going to be in tough with any injury they encounter.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Disappointing to lose a CB with such a weak area already. HUGE chance for Montgomery who we have hoped would emerge in MLS by now. Potential springboard for him. Agree they must feel comfortable with Norman Jnr. or others filling in at CB if needed. Seems risky, big shame for Yao/Dunn.

While it is quite possible he gets zero minutes, Farsi could be our wildcard. 

Based on where both have played last year and the year before USL CPL don’t think there should be much difference between the two CB’s . Moreover, Minnesota has seen something in Montgomery or else they would not have signed him I would think . So Montgomery who might even be a potential CB that might get some decent MLS minutes this year starting actually might make sense let’s see.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Romeo's a walking red card.  Dunn couldn't train with the team and would miss the first game.  Yao has all of a game and a half of experience.

I know Shway will hold that 26 minutes on the pitch against Haiti against him for the rest of his playing career, but Godinho is a better option than all of them.

Any team in this tournament is going to be in tough with any injury they encounter.

Godinho as a CB?

Why would you think it's okay for a national team to do that to a player in a final tournament . Especially since his last showing..., "oh you had 26 horrible minutes in your natural RB position, and we haven't seen you since, and your career has been in a downward trend...how about you have a go at CB".

Injuries will happen, while the tournament is in play. But if you have the opportunity/allowed to replace the injured or sick players (as they did) prior to the tournament with a direct replacement considering you only have 2 players in the position.
The reality is CB are rarely subbed, so any incoming CB would've missed the game regardless...its the future one's that matter or when rotation is needed.

But hey all of this, is irrelevant at the moment and negative, so I’ll stfu 

It’s almost game time Lettsssss goo!!!

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

So Honduras getting an outfield player in net highly disadvantages us with that being the first tie-breaker.  We now need to win all three games to get the second place unless something crazy happens.

Something something....Honduras....something something..we got CONCACACAFed!

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

This should end well

FFS, this will mean Honduras will win about 10-0 and can afford to play us for a draw in the last group match as no way will we be able to meet their goal differential if we win our first two games like they do.