Jump to content

Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021


Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, VinceA said:

If DR can convince Mariano and Firpo to commit that would be huge.

 

They also didn't get their man from St. Pauli in, Luis Coordes, he would have been probably their most experienced guy playing at a high level.

They have some very good dual nationals. The leading scorer in the Segunda is a Dominican dual national. So is a PSV regular. They also have eligible youth players at Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid. Which is kind of cool. They don't really have the numbers of possible ringers that Suriname or Curacao or Haiti have at youth levels. But they have some pretty impressive ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, One American said:

They have some very good dual nationals. The leading scorer in the Segunda is a Dominican dual national. So is a PSV regular. They also have eligible youth players at Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid. Which is kind of cool. They don't really have the numbers of possible ringers that Suriname or Curacao or Haiti have at youth levels. But they have some pretty impressive ones. 

They might eventually get some but man some of the pitches in the minnows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

They might eventually get some but man some of the pitches in the minnows.

True. And I'm not sure how interested or sufficiently financed the Dominican federation is for recruiting. They don't seem to be putting the effort into it that Suriname and Curacao are. 

Edited by One American
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There’s weaker clubs than that listed. That’s the team that Jack Harrison and Shaffelburg came through.

that indeed - I was just mentioning how out of place Black Rock looks on that list in comparison with all the other teams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, VinceA said:

If DR can convince Mariano and Firpo to commit that would be huge.

 

They also didn't get their man from St. Pauli in, Luis Coordes, he would have been probably their most experienced guy playing at a high level.

Our very own Anthony Jackson-Hamel was eligible for Dominican Republic as well I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is always going to be a knock on effect as nations getting bigger, players emerge on one end of the spectrum blocking out the other end of the spectrum. With the world getting smaller and smaller, more transient and free moving we are surely going to see the trend continue.

While we are moving up, lots of other nations are too. Sometimes it just depends who is in the right time at the right place as to who can really kick on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

If you go to the official website it looks like you can tell the rosters based on the players that have numbers beside their names. It only works for a few teams so far though. You can check out the US team.

https://www.concacaf.com/en/olympics-qualifying-men/teams/2020/953#tab_team=roster

Nice find. 

Now all we gotta do is just keep refreshing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

US Squad.

Goalkeepers:

1 James Marchinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), 12 Matthew Freese (Philadelphia Union), 20 David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders:
2 Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy), 3 Frederick Kessler (New England Revolution), 4 Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake), 5 Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire), 17 Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake)

Midfielders:
6 Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes), 8 Djordje Mihailovic (Montreal), 13 Samuel Vines (Colorado Rapids), 15 Andres Perea (Orlando City FC), 16 Joao de Souza (Internacional), 18 Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United)

Forwards:
7 Jonathan Lewis(Colorado Rapids), 9 Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas), 10 Sebastian Saucedo (UNAM) , 11 Ulysses Llanez (SC Heerenveen), 14 Benji Michel (Orlando City), 19 Sebastian Soto (Norwich City)

Looking at this squad, and I'm not wowed....I predict they don't leave the group. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick thought, has this team departed... at least? Or do they expect to train just a week before the first game lol.

First game is in 10 days away....and a lot of these guys haven't been together. I haven't seen any leaks from the players to suggest they are anywhere.

Edited by Shway
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Quick thought, has this team departed... at least? Or do they expect to train just a week before the first game lol.

First game is in 10 days away....and a lot of these guys haven't been together. I haven't seen any leaks from the players to suggest they are anywhere.

Lucas Dias posted earlier that he was on his way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Looking at this squad, and I'm not wowed....I predict they don't leave the group. 

It’s an essentially all MLS squad with the exception of a few guys (and without Atlanta players being released).

it’s still a pretty strong squad though with good professional experience. Yueill, Ferreira, Mihailovic - I don’t think we (or any other squad outside of Mexico) will have any near that depth of proven quality.

Edited by Floortom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Shway said:

Looking at this squad, and I'm not wowed....I predict they don't leave the group. 

Gonna wait for the official announcement on that one - the US called up Drake Callender yesterday to replace Jonathan Klinsmen on the 31 man roster which seems a strange move if Callender didn't make the final roster anyway (ie. why bother to call him?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

Gonna wait for the official announcement on that one - the US called up Drake Callender yesterday to replace Jonathan Klinsmen on the 31 man roster which seems a strange move if Callender didn't make the final roster anyway (ie. why bother to call him?)

They got the money to do it? To train with an even number of goal keepers?

6 Keepers were listed on their 50 man list where he was listed, 4 keepers went to pre-camp in which he wasn't initially invited. I don't think he's in the squad considering the guys ahead of him/listed have gotten actual professional minutes. 

It was just a formality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a somewhat weak US team. Competent, but lacking wow players. The best players are 2 DMs (Yueill and Cardoso) and a right back (Araujo). Vines has played well in a couple of caps against minnows. Soto has had a weird career. Not sure what to expect out of him long-term. But he has been solid at youth levels. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Brym looks like he's in a hotel 🤣

I noticed that Brym has not been in the Mouscron lineups since December. Has he been injured, is he out of favour or is it something else? Also, is he likely to be on the Olympic team given he hasn't played in months?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

I noticed that Brym has not been in the Mouscron lineups since December. Has he been injured, is he out of favour or is it something else? Also, is he likely to be on the Olympic team given he hasn't played in months?

for what it's worth, Brym's definitely been more of a rotation/back-up option for Mouscron - extended time out of the 18 has been somewhat regular for him, so it's not as much of an indication of anything as it was with someone like Sturing

Edited by bfque8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2021 at 7:41 PM, SoccMan said:

You think TFC is the only team in history that has missed players ? It has happened throughout history , they are many players playing in top leagues today that were missed or probably cut when they were younger ! Our good friend Hargreaves was cut from one of the youth national teams at 15 I think and then at what 18 I think was winning and starting with Bayern Munich in the Champions League final no? Moreover, some players were also just not good enough period I don’t care how many minutes they would have gotten . I forget who was that goalie TFC had that everyone on here was saying should have started over the American keeper Bono who was the TFC keeper in the 2017 winning season . Moreover, said Canadian keeper in the end was not good enough to start with Forge in the CPL and was let go but back in the day everyone was up in arms that Bono started over him. Sometimes maybe certain players don’t get a lot of playing time because they are simply not good end of story .

Yes, of course some players will be missed, but he listed a team of 17 players worth of players from Ontario, and only Osorio and Akinola ever played for TFC. That's a lot of players missed in a relatively short period of time.

I also want to echo what @baulderdash77said about them integrating into the US system rather than the Canadian system. This never made sense to me. When they were in the Canadian system they discovered Osorio and Raheem Edwards (who was very good for them in 2017, a key piece to the team off the bench) by playing against them in Ontario leagues. Now they play in American leagues, so if they see a great player, they aren't going to be able to poach them unless they can get their family to move across the border for them. I'm fuzzy on the underage rules, so I might not have that exactly right.

Apologies for responding before reading the next 3 pages. Hopefully I'm not repeating others too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...