Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

They should move the Olympics to China, Saudi Arabia, Russia or Singapore. No major sponsors will get behind a major event happening in a G7 nation at the moment. Especially if the goal is to put people in the crowd and have athletes interacting. The giant sponsors don't wont those optics anytime soon

China is hosting the winter Olympics next year and runs concentration camps, not that the IOC cares, so their out; Russia just hosted the World cup and an Olympics so they probably don't want the cost again especially for a summers Olympics that they are not equipped for; Saudi Arabia is a massive human rights abuser; and Singapore is the size of a city, with no venues, and canes people for chewing gum. Not a lot of great options.

12 hours ago, narduch said:

The Olympics problem is that its so bloated.

The Olympics problem is until countries and their governments align with the current expectations put forth by the mega corporations who sponsor and prop up such an event.. those countries won't be hosting Olympics. Like you know how countries who use to violate human rights, normal decency, democracy etc etc they weren't allowed to host such events. Its kinda like that but now these giant sponsors have new friends. But we're moving in the right direction so we'll be hosting such events in North America soon. Just make sure you clap when your supposed to and no singing 

Edited by SpursFlu

21 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

China is hosting the winter Olympics next year and runs concentration camps, not that the IOC cares, so their out; Russia just hosted the World cup and an Olympics so they probably don't want the cost again especially for a summers Olympics that they are not equipped for; Saudi Arabia is a massive human rights abuser; and Singapore is the size of a city, with no venues, and canes people for chewing gum. Not a lot of great options.

When there was the Russia controversy around being Olympic hosts despite their human rights violations towards homosexuals, it occured to me that the USA still has the goddamn death penalty. So sure, it would be great to deny Russia hosting based on how they were beating and jailing homosexuals, but who replaces them? Which country is pure enough to do so? USA with their death penalty? Pass. Canada with their treatment of First Nations? Pass. Best to let sports be sports and not couple it with politics.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

When there was the Russia controversy around being Olympic hosts despite their human rights violations towards homosexuals, it occured to me that the USA still has the goddamn death penalty. So sure, it would be great to deny Russia hosting based on how they were beating and jailing homosexuals, but who replaces them? Which country is pure enough to do so? USA with their death penalty? Pass. Canada with their treatment of First Nations? Pass. Best to let sports be sports and not couple it with politics.

I'd agree in a perfect world but sports has always been political and probably always will be. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Will MLS have a new CBA by February?

The union has made a counter offer and MLS has said they will meet anytime for talks.  Looks like both sides know they can't lose the season. A later start also increases the chance of spectators in the stands.

MLS is one of the most co-operative leagues in releasing players, they will not hold back any player from the USA team, so would be difficult to hold back Canadians.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

6 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

The union has made a counter offer and MLS has said they will meet anytime for talks.  Looks like both sides know they can't lose the season. A later start also increases the chance of spectators in the stands.

MLS is one of the most co-operative leagues in releasing players, they will not hold back any player from form the USA team, so would be difficult to hold back Canadians.

It wasn’t only about MLS not releasing players. My point was more so related to teams being depleted due to call ups. For example a team like TFC who could lose Jozy, Osorio, Fraser, Nelson, Priso, Shaffelburg, Laryea, Okello (maybe Akinola) between senior and the U24s. Likewise for MTL, and the Caps.   

My thought before was will there be games scheduled during that the time of Olympic qualifiers and the March window? Will they be rescheduled due to teams missing a lot of guys?

In the event that the season starts later, those concerns won’t be an issue.

49 minutes ago, Shway said:

Word around town is MLS will start preseason reports in February with an April start date.

Means all MLS guys should be available for this tournament. Good for us, but good for others too.

Officially announced.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/01/25/major-league-soccer-announces-2021-season-and-preseason-start-dates

I hope that they have the Canadian MLS teams playing road matches for 3-4 weeks to start the season to give more likelihood of the teams playing home games, assuming that the Feds ease up on the restrictions, but that's a topic for another section of the forum I guess.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Will MLS have a new CBA by February?

I have always felt that unlike other major North American sports leagues, the MLS and MLSPA really don't think they can survive a lock out, so despite there being a lot of issues with MLS rules and the CBA they will continue to agree at the 11th hour to some suboptimal proposal.

Please note I haven't done any real research into this, just my feeling.

MLS offer basically cushions any major impact to player salaries this year despite the covid hit. But MLS gets a larger share of any spoils from a better tv contract and bump from WC 26.

So the players are in a tight spot - get a pacifer today to get royally screwed later unless you believe MLS revenues will have hard time recovering from covid.

I don't think most of the players are in a position (or care) to think about the prospects of future players but I also think they won't back down too easily given what they are being asked to give up. So, I think there will be a delay to the season.

Edited by red card

On 1/21/2021 at 6:55 PM, narduch said:

Rumours out of Japan are that the Olympics will be canceled. 

This tournament may not happen.

Entirely possible the tournament will happen, but Olympics will be cancelled.

Though I'm not sure why they don't just delay it until 2022. When they delayed by a year originally, we had no idea where things would be at by July 2021.

But we now know that vaccines will be widely available long before July 2022.

So why not wait until 2022, and have a massive party, rather than stress out, and try and deal with it in 2021.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Entirely possible the tournament will happen, but Olympics will be cancelled.

Though I'm not sure why they don't just delay it until 2022. When they delayed by a year originally, we had no idea where things would be at by July 2021.

But we now know that vaccines will be widely available long before July 2022.

So why not wait until 2022, and have a massive party, rather than stress out, and try and deal with it in 2021.

The soccer tournament will certainly suffer if its held the same year as a World Cup

50 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

The soccer tournament will certainly suffer if its held the same year as a World Cup

Will it though? With the World Cup not until late November, why would it detract from an event 4 months earlier? If they were both in July ... then sure. But I don't think anyone will be thinking about the months-away World Cup during the Olympcs.

14 hours ago, nfitz said:

Will it though? With the World Cup not until late November, why would it detract from an event 4 months earlier? If they were both in July ... then sure. But I don't think anyone will be thinking about the months-away World Cup during the Olympcs.

I don't think clubs are required to release players for the Olympics. Some clubs who have U23 players eligible might be extra hesitant to let eligible U23 players go if it means losing said player twice in a year (a U23 player that's both eligible for the olympics, and is a key member of their club would almost certainly be called to their senior national team as well).. assuming said players would even want to participate in 2 tournament in the same year. I always found the Olympics was a good chance for a player wanting to break into their senior national team to showcase themselves in an international competition.

The rumours are if the Olympics are canceled they are canceled for good.

They won't try again in 2022. 

Tokyo is hoping to be given the 2032 games without having to bid.

One of the big issues the Olympics is facing is that for a lot of sports qualifying has not been completed. 

I think this tournament is a good chance to catch a rising star. Good opportunity for young players to showcase themselves. Good for Canada because our young players haven't had much international experience but in the grand scheme of things its really not a very important thing. I'd be excited for it but yah

On 1/26/2021 at 1:47 PM, LeoH037 said:

I don't think clubs are required to release players for the Olympics. Some clubs who have U23 players eligible might be extra hesitant to let eligible U23 players go if it means losing said player twice in a year (a U23 player that's both eligible for the olympics, and is a key member of their club would almost certainly be called to their senior national team as well).. assuming said players would even want to participate in 2 tournament in the same year. I always found the Olympics was a good chance for a player wanting to break into their senior national team to showcase themselves in an international competition.

FIFA has required release for some Olympics, but not all. Though really not an issue for most leagues, as they aren't playing during July. It's a bit of an MLS issue, but most teams will be able to release the U23s.

But MLS is breaking for FIFA World Cup - so I don't see the conflict - assuming any impacted teams actually make the World Cup this time.

Are any leagues in session both in July and late November? I don't see anything in particular that would make Olympics suffer. World Cup might well suffer in November/December ... but we've known that since the absurd decision to award it to desert micro-state.

There certainly are rumours that if 2020 is postponed again, it will won't be rescheduled. But I don't understand logic of that. Just do 2022. That will be one hell of an event - the world will want to party! But soccer is hardly their biggest worry ... but make it a U25 event ... use the same squads.

9 minutes ago, nfitz said:

FIFA has required release for some Olympics, but not all. Though really not an issue for most leagues, as they aren't playing during July. It's a bit of an MLS issue, but most teams will be able to release the U23s.

But MLS is breaking for FIFA World Cup - so I don't see the conflict - assuming any impacted teams actually make the World Cup this time.

Are any leagues in session both in July and late November? I don't see anything in particular that would make Olympics suffer. World Cup might well suffer in November/December ... but we've known that since the absurd decision to award it to desert micro-state.

There certainly are rumours that if 2020 is postponed again, it will won't be rescheduled. But I don't understand logic of that. Just do 2022. That will be one hell of an event - the world will want to party! But soccer is hardly their biggest worry ... but make it a U25 event ... use the same squads.

International tournaments are always risky for clubs, doubt any of them would be ecstatic at the though of having an important player that's eligible for both tournaments compete in both. Tournaments are also very physically taxing on the athletes, and 2 in a calendar year is quite the ask. More than likely the Olympics tournament would be the one to suffer,  and if Canada were to qualify and the tournament was held on the same year as a World Cup, the only way I personally see some of the bigger U23 stars be there is if Canada doesn't make the world cup.

Edited by LeoH037

2 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

... and if Canada were to qualify and the tournament was held on the same year as a World Cup

Gosh ... I hope that's a problem we actually have, to have two tournaments to worry about ... given we seldom make either tournament!

I'm more concerned that the qualifying tournaments conflict. And I doubt the Olympics will be cancelled before then, unless they do decide on an early postponement.

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

Gosh ... I hope that's a problem we actually have, to have two tournaments to worry about ... given we seldom make either tournament!

I'm more concerned that the qualifying tournaments conflict. And I doubt the Olympics will be cancelled before then, unless they do decide on an early postponement.

oh boy, knowing our luck... 😅