Sign in to follow this  
badname22

Poll- Who's the first manager to get the boot?

Poll- Who's the first manager to get the boot?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. The first manager out is......

• Hart (Halifax)
    • Wheeldon Jr. (Cavalry)
    • Smyrniotis (Forge)
    • Paulus (Edmonton)
    • Gale(Valour)
    • Silberbauer (Pacific)
    • Brennan (York)

16 hours ago, Lofty said:

This is very accurate. But in the interests of balance, I will make the following points: Valour have at times played some very nice football under Galey's influence. Galey has shown an ability to change up what is not working by going from possession based football to a more direct style which has led to more chances. He also brings a lot of technical know-how, but without the experience he is just now learning how to use it to get the best out of his players. And although Valour finished bottom of the Spring Season, they were one of 4 teams (so more than half!) within 2 points of each other. We need to (and will) give the guy a chance.

He does have a problem up front though. Unless 17-year-old Attardo really steps up, and he has shown that he might, Valour's goal scoring woes are likely to continue. A 33 year old Italian who over his career has averaged 1 goal every 4.8 matches is unlikely to resolve them.

Definitely good points, and why I think we won't see a manager gone, pending a surprise/surprising reason before mid-season two. I think all the managers come with experience and/or backgrounds that show they are capable of self-reflection and improvement. 

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

Finally cast my vote for Gale. When you start with no strikers on the pitch and two on the bench, you don't know what you're doing.

He was being clever.  For their next game he will be even more clever and have two goalkeepers in the starting 11.

Posted (edited)

Rob Gale getting very defensive these days. And getting very handy with the excuses as the losses mount up.

It’s unfortunate; one penalty, either way, makes a big difference, but, to be fair, we shouldn’t have let it get into that area in the first place,” Gale told the OneSoccer broadcast crew after the match. “It was that five minutes, just right after the water break (in the 2nd half), where we switched off, and (our) legs were gone, maybe.

(Translation: bloody ref has done us again.)

They gave it their all – that’s not a club that’s got a mentality problem or a crisis, let me tell you, before you ask a rubbish question.”

(Translation: don't you dare ask me why Valour have gone eight matches and counting without a win -- not to mention 7 losses and a solitary draw!)

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/gale-praises-valours-mentality-dismisses-rubbish-crisis-talk

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2019 at 8:44 PM, Stanley said:

He was being clever.  For their next game he will be even more clever and have two goalkeepers in the starting 11.

Stop giving him ideas! We are leaking goals like a rusy old sieve so he might just think two keepers would be worth a try! Too bad it doesn't occur to him to drop sh!t players instead.

Edited by Lofty

Count the excuses! Another unwanted record for Valour! Oh the heat, should have had a pen, players were tired in the heat, their player was fresh, their pen was dodgy, we've got loads of injuries, our schedule is terrible, our players are tired and can't train... 😭

Nothing but blue skies for everybody else of course... 😂

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/video/coach-gale-and-michele-paolucci-july-22

54 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

They need to play to Rob Gale's strengths - he's not showing much as a coach, but he's an excellent personality. The league should have him doing commentary and pregames, etc, instead of coaching.

Agree wholeheartedly with that. Rob knows the sport inside out and has bags of charisma, which is sorely lacking in the current OneSoccer panels.

But he is registering a solid F as a coach. When you field a team with not a single recognized striker, while keeping two recognized strikers on the bench, the ensuing loss has nothing to do with the heat (it was only hot for Valour, by the way!). Things like that and the constant tinkerman changes to the line up do not bode well for Valour.

I can't see any managers getting the boot this year.

If a club falls apart the last 6-8 games then possibly the off-season, but as this is the first year of the league and there is a limited transfer window, I would be surprised if it happens.

I would be shocked if they got rid of Hart here in Halifax...he has been firm with the whole Langwa debacle and he has been unlucky with some injuries to key personnel.

Underperforming team, team lacks control, scoring leader is a 17 year old.

Enough talent and players with pro experience that Valour should be one of the better teams. 

While Gale didn't build this unbalanced team by himself, he will get most of the blame...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fil said:

Enough talent and players with pro experience that Valour should be one of the better teams. 

While Gale didn't build this unbalanced team by himself, he will get most of the blame...

This part I disagree with. None of the players on the team apart from the recent imports have pro experience above USL level, and most have no pro experience at all. Go through the rosters man for man and tell me which one you think has less talent and pedigree than Valour's. I can't think of any. I might put them even with Halifax, but the Wanderers have, by the standards of this league, a good manager.

And if Gale didn't sign these players, who did?

Edited by jonovision

Petrasso, Beland Goyette,  Bustos have all played several times at the MLS level. And guys like Gutierrez are experienced foreigners. Add a young upcoming prospect like Attardo and I think it has a good foundation to build a team on.

Most websites/podcasts predicted that Pacific FC would be at the bottom not Valour. 

Both teams rely heavily on local talent to fill out the squad. It should not be a surprise that Vancouver Island and the lower mainland of BC has more soccer talent than Winnipeg. 

6 hours ago, fil said:

This is Gale's team. If they win, he gets the credit. If they lose, he gets the blame.

4 hours ago, fil said:

Most websites/podcasts predicted that Pacific FC would be at the bottom not Valour.

And that was before our horrific injury record. BTW I still adamantly disagree with that assessment. We have one of the most talented squads in the league if healthy

14 hours ago, Scottie said:

Who's the comedian that voted for Wheeldon?

Just read the thread, I explained my vote.

I was sort of thinking that he might get on a drunken binge after yet another win and do something abusive that would get him sacked. Or get on the wrong side of a horse out at Spruce Meadows. Which would be funny.

Who says a manager has to get the boot for what is happening ON the field?

The one thing that could get Gale fired before end of season is an embarrassing lack of discipline. He'd better sort that out pronto.

Otherwise, I'm sure he has the rest of the season to at least get the team competitive, even if they finish last again.

And there you have it.... https://canpl.ca/article/pacific-fc-relieves-silberbauer-of-duties-merriman-takes-over-as-interim-coach?fbclid=IwAR3z7Vy_EsMfbbKwFLug8KaQtnsGt72UQ1L5z8COQ8TRzg_lexilaXaHFKQ

Is Gale looking over his shoulder? Don't turn around Rob...

I think given he was the least attached coach to the Canadian game this was inevitable. Surprised when they put all the eggs in the basket he wasn't given a longer chance but sometimes when you know you know. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:31 PM, Copes said:

Silberbauer. I feel like Pacific has been the biggest disappointment / underperforming team compared to their roster.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:03 AM, T_Bison said:

I voted Silberbauer, just because of the smaller crowds and the lack of starpower on the pitch.

If Valour continues to be really bad I can see Gale get fired during the off season, but WFC are notorious for giving coaches & GMs long leashes, plus Gale does have the number of injuries and new league to use as excuses.

oprah winfrey GIF

18 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Three losses and two draws in the last five won't have helped Silberbauer's cause. Will be surprising if he's the only one to get the bullet amongst the chasing pack of five given how far off the pace they were.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Three losses and two draws in the last five won't have helped Silberbauer's cause. Will be surprising if he's the only one to get the bullet amongst the chasing pack of five given how far off the pace they were.

I partially agree but it's also a marathon not a sprint in developing clubs. Everything is new, there are many variables and also more than any other club Pacific really made the investment in the future with players. The fault lies more on the ownership than Silberbauer in my opinion, not that he isn't responsible for results. Fair to say when the heat is on and the season is going things can go unexpectedly wrong or differently than you hoped but at every club they should have picked a manager that with long term ideas for growing the club and belief in the person they hired. It was the biggest hire and Pacific fell at the first hurdle.

All the clubs will take 4/5 years to really solidify themselves as an operating entity, some clubs are ahead of others on and off the pitch and I think in this regard it makes it hard to sack managers after the first season, unless there is real behind the scenes problems/player revolts and maybe he was simply out of his depth. Either way it's a poor hire that they can't back him for another season given all the clubs surely realise the above timelines in growing their clubs. Again I think the fact he isn't Canadian makes it an easy departure.

Gale would be a harder remove even if it's necessary. He is based in the community and is well liked. I think he gets another year, also think thats likely a year more than he deserves. Hart has to be disappointed but I think he gets another season. Brennan and Paulus will be safe imo. 

34 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Hart has to be disappointed but I think he gets another season.

How does the coach who finished bottom of the table get another year?!?

insane fred savage GIF by The Grinder