Poll- Who's the first manager to get the boot?

Poll- Who's the first manager to get the boot?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. The first manager out is......

• Hart (Halifax)
    • Wheeldon Jr. (Cavalry)
    • Smyrniotis (Forge)
    • Paulus (Edmonton)
    • Gale(Valour)
    • Silberbauer (Pacific)
    • Brennan (York)

I can't see any managers getting the boot this year.

If a club falls apart the last 6-8 games then possibly the off-season, but as this is the first year of the league and there is a limited transfer window, I would be surprised if it happens.

I would be shocked if they got rid of Hart here in Halifax...he has been firm with the whole Langwa debacle and he has been unlucky with some injuries to key personnel.

• 2 weeks later...

Underperforming team, team lacks control, scoring leader is a 17 year old.

Enough talent and players with pro experience that Valour should be one of the better teams. 

While Gale didn't build this unbalanced team by himself, he will get most of the blame...

1 hour ago, fil said:

Underperforming team, team lacks control, scoring leader is a 17 year old.

Enough talent and players with pro experience that Valour should be one of the better teams. 

While Gale didn't build this unbalanced team by himself, he will get most of the blame...

This part I disagree with. None of the players on the team apart from the recent imports have pro experience above USL level, and most have no pro experience at all. Go through the rosters man for man and tell me which one you think has less talent and pedigree than Valour's. I can't think of any. I might put them even with Halifax, but the Wanderers have, by the standards of this league, a good manager.

And if Gale didn't sign these players, who did?

Edited by jonovision

Petrasso, Beland Goyette,  Bustos have all played several times at the MLS level. And guys like Gutierrez are experienced foreigners. Add a young upcoming prospect like Attardo and I think it has a good foundation to build a team on.

Most websites/podcasts predicted that Pacific FC would be at the bottom not Valour. 

4 hours ago, fil said:

Most websites/podcasts predicted that Pacific FC would be at the bottom not Valour.

And that was before our horrific injury record. BTW I still adamantly disagree with that assessment. We have one of the most talented squads in the league if healthy

14 hours ago, Scottie said:

Who's the comedian that voted for Wheeldon?

Just read the thread, I explained my vote.

I was sort of thinking that he might get on a drunken binge after yet another win and do something abusive that would get him sacked. Or get on the wrong side of a horse out at Spruce Meadows. Which would be funny.

Who says a manager has to get the boot for what is happening ON the field?

• 2 months later...

And there you have it.... https://canpl.ca/article/pacific-fc-relieves-silberbauer-of-duties-merriman-takes-over-as-interim-coach?fbclid=IwAR3z7Vy_EsMfbbKwFLug8KaQtnsGt72UQ1L5z8COQ8TRzg_lexilaXaHFKQ

Is Gale looking over his shoulder? Don't turn around Rob...

I think given he was the least attached coach to the Canadian game this was inevitable. Surprised when they put all the eggs in the basket he wasn't given a longer chance but sometimes when you know you know. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:31 PM, Copes said:

Silberbauer. I feel like Pacific has been the biggest disappointment / underperforming team compared to their roster.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:03 AM, T_Bison said:

I voted Silberbauer, just because of the smaller crowds and the lack of starpower on the pitch.

If Valour continues to be really bad I can see Gale get fired during the off season, but WFC are notorious for giving coaches & GMs long leashes, plus Gale does have the number of injuries and new league to use as excuses.

oprah winfrey GIF

18 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Three losses and two draws in the last five won't have helped Silberbauer's cause. Will be surprising if he's the only one to get the bullet amongst the chasing pack of five given how far off the pace they were.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Three losses and two draws in the last five won't have helped Silberbauer's cause. Will be surprising if he's the only one to get the bullet amongst the chasing pack of five given how far off the pace they were.

I partially agree but it's also a marathon not a sprint in developing clubs. Everything is new, there are many variables and also more than any other club Pacific really made the investment in the future with players. The fault lies more on the ownership than Silberbauer in my opinion, not that he isn't responsible for results. Fair to say when the heat is on and the season is going things can go unexpectedly wrong or differently than you hoped but at every club they should have picked a manager that with long term ideas for growing the club and belief in the person they hired. It was the biggest hire and Pacific fell at the first hurdle.

All the clubs will take 4/5 years to really solidify themselves as an operating entity, some clubs are ahead of others on and off the pitch and I think in this regard it makes it hard to sack managers after the first season, unless there is real behind the scenes problems/player revolts and maybe he was simply out of his depth. Either way it's a poor hire that they can't back him for another season given all the clubs surely realise the above timelines in growing their clubs. Again I think the fact he isn't Canadian makes it an easy departure.

Gale would be a harder remove even if it's necessary. He is based in the community and is well liked. I think he gets another year, also think thats likely a year more than he deserves. Hart has to be disappointed but I think he gets another season. Brennan and Paulus will be safe imo. 

7 minutes ago, ted said:

How does the coach who finished bottom of the table get another year?!?

insane fred savage GIF by The Grinder

I feel like Hart is more ingrained in the club than most since Derek Martin has said a number of times that he isn't a soccer guy. I think there was heavy reliance on Hart for contacts and I am actually pretty surprised that he didn't make better use of them. I think the national team experience on his resume buys him a bit of extra time, but if he puts in another season like this I'd say that he is gone

#silberbauerout #galeout #hartout

Silberbauer and Hart really underperformed with the squads they had..Valour wasnt projected high but they keep getting heavy losses and clearly Gale doesnt have the answers

Paulus has done ok..its more the ownership thats the issue there

Brennan bad in the spring but better in fall

Obviously Wheeldon and Smyrniotis excellent

I don't know about insane.  Hart would've been at the top of my list of coaches to go but I don't know that if I were a HFX supporter I would want to see him go at this time.

Pacific weren't doing well but they fielded the youngest team, dealt with significant injuries to marquee players and still managed to come away from year one with some real gems in terms of players.  

this whole young this young that for pacific and using it as acceptable for these results doesnt work..average age is pretty close to others on transfermarkt and someone like campbell is 21 but how much pro experience does he have..more than plenty of older players in the league..baldisimo chung verhoeven same thing

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jumplist/startseite/wettbewerb/CAN1

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jumplist/startseite/wettbewerb/CA1F

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

this whole young this young that for pacific and using it as acceptable for these results doesnt work..average age is pretty close to others on transfermarkt and someone like campbell is 21 but how much pro experience does he have..more than plenty of older players in the league..baldisimo chung verhoeven same thing

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jumplist/startseite/wettbewerb/CAN1

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jumplist/startseite/wettbewerb/CA1F

Why? They very clearly relied on young players more than any other team, and their season was riddled with inconsistent performances and individual mistakes. They made it abundantly clear from the outset that their squad was built with an eye to the future. Average age is not the statistic to assess that

Edited by Aird25

5 hours ago, ted said:

How does the coach who finished bottom of the table get another year?!?

insane fred savage GIF by The Grinder

The thing with Hart despite the season he is still very popular in Halifax and is really almost the face of the team.

I think he did a poor job this year both in taking in some really poor performing international players, picking way too many defensive players and never really being able to put together a cohesive everyday lineup.

That being said I tried really hard to be angry or dislike him but he is a hell of a nice guy. I know that may not be a reason to keep someone on board but he is very likable. 

I am pretty sure you have to give him one more season to try and correct his mistakes. I mean its year one of a brand new league. I think its crazy to fire a manager who came in knowing nothing about the league and picking a team from scratch. I think you need to give them a min of 2 season to adjust and then evaluate them.

I don't think you can really validate talk of sacking for being last in this first season. Thats EPL knee jerk trash talk and one of the worst parts of the modern game. There is no relegation. If we use that logic we might as well liquidate York and Edmonton because the crowds were abysmal and sack off some of the younger players that didn't perform as well as we hoped.

It is still very early days and consistency is half the battle. If Halifax and Pacific win tomorrow there could be 2 points between 4th and last and Pacific could sit 4th.

If it is as appears and he had lost the dressing room and players then he had to go. That is more than acceptable and will happen sometimes. All the managers brought their own vision to the clubs and they are going to need time, just like every other facet of the league. I am sure each manager/club has a 5 year plan for the squad and how everything should progress.