Poll- Who's the first manager to get the boot?

Poll- Who's the first manager to get the boot?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. The first manager out is......

• Hart (Halifax)
    • Wheeldon Jr. (Cavalry)
    • Smyrniotis (Forge)
    • Paulus (Edmonton)
    • Gale(Valour)
    • Silberbauer (Pacific)
    • Brennan (York)

Gale has been the biggest disappointment sad to say. So much talent there they should be doing better. 

I think however he will he given more time than Silberbauer hence my vote for the Pacific FC boss. I think lots of coaches would fancy that job. 

Think wheeldon jnr will get poached by an MLS team if he continues cavalrys form.

Voted for Rob Gale given he probably had more of a GM role than Silberbauer. If I were Pacific I would get rid of or sideline from decision making whoever thought signing Marcel de Jong, Marcus Haber and Issey Nakajima-Farran on what appears to have been big money by CanPL standards was a good idea. My impression is that Silberbauer is actually doing a good job in coaching terms with the younger players he has available.

In Winnipeg, Rob Gale was a bit unlucky where Golubar's torn ACL was concerned as he was probably building the team around him, but signing Hoyle and Ferguson up front looked questionable. He needs these two summer window signings to work out for him and turn things around in terms of results or pressure will inevitably start to mount.

Running a close second for me is Jimmy B mainly because giving him the bullet and bringing in somebody that might drive ticket sales is an obvious next step in marketing terms so they can portray year two as a clean slate and a new beginning. Having said that the team has looked not too far away from being a contender and a shock result in Montreal (unlikely but an early red card for the Impact is far from impossible) would do his cause a lot of good.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I voted Silberbauer, just because of the smaller crowds and the lack of starpower on the pitch.

If Valour continues to be really bad I can see Gale get fired during the off season, but WFC are notorious for giving coaches & GMs long leashes, plus Gale does have the number of injuries and new league to use as excuses.

2 hours ago, Silverfox said:

Can’t see any manager getting fired year one. There were too many unknowns going into a brand new league. Midway through season two we might see first casualties 

Think the end of the season is the more obvious time to make a change, so a new coach can put his own roster together using the winter window. It will be interesting to see if the multi-year contracts we always hear about are fully guaranteed or are based on club held options. Especially if it's the latter you ideally want to have the next guy you have lined up watching the last few games of the previous season, so he can see who he wants to keep and clear out the rest ASAP. It's a ruthless sort of environment, basically.

I had Valour pegged as the last place team in my pre-season power rankings, and that was largely due to Gale. Their results so far haven't exactly changed my mind, so I voted Gale to be the first to be fired.

14 hours ago, Copes said:

Silberbauer. I feel like Pacific has been the biggest disappointment / underperforming team compared to their roster.

Based on results alone, I can see that.

But I think he will still be here next year. He was brought in with a specific mandate to build a team long-term. Our losing record is IMO down to the naivete of a young team and the lack of veteran leadership due to injuries. 

2 hours ago, T_Bison said:

I voted Silberbauer, just because of the smaller crowds and the lack of starpower on the pitch.

Not sure how either of those factors into the decision. There is not a "Silberbauer Out" groundswell in the stands, let alone the general community. 

As for "starpower on the pitch", that is dues to injuries, not signings he hasn't made. 

17 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Hopefully Wheeldon doesn't end up with the Whitecaps.  That would be a step down.

As a Cavs fan I think he would be very hard to replace, so I don’t want to see him leave. At the same time I’d like to see him have success at the highest level he can. Also think he would be great for our National team one day. 

I do think this is a bit early, and I do not expect any manager, pending a promotion or some non-performance related issue, to be out before the middle of next season. These guys are either doing pretty good jobs, have ties to the team/ownership/community, or have enough pedigree to be given another year. 

I voted for Gale, as I think, performance wise, he is the obvious candidate. Wheeldon is clearly at the top, and Smyrniotis is clearly second. After that, I think it gets really hazy before you get to Gale at 7. Hart, Paulus, and Silberbauer have shown lots of promise generally, but also areas to improve on. Gale has just not maximized the use of the players available and has not necessarily deployed the players in a useful way. I think he also can take some criticism for his roster design. 

I think the three losses in a row are probably why Silberbauer has taken so many votes, but he has actually done quite a good job keeping this team patched together. I have watch week in week out a team look pretty organized and tactically solid, despite having so many young players and players out of position. The real test for him will be when everyone (if ever) gets healthy, and especially after an off-season where they should be able to fix the depth issues and perhaps jettison some of the dead weight.

Hart has the community connection and pedigree, but I think his performance, given a roster that has been mostly healthy and was picked by him, should be judged more critically. After all, a win by PFC tomorrow, and their cumulative records are identical. He shows many of the faults that he showed with the CMNT. He seems to have curious line-ups at times, and certain guys who look like they should play more do not, at the expense of veteran guys. For example, JM Williams has certainly looked second rate, and I think Oxner has probably earned more games now.

27 minutes ago, ktf said:

Hart has the community connection and pedigree, but I think his performance, given a roster that has been mostly healthy and was picked by him, should be judged more critically. After all, a win by PFC tomorrow, and their cumulative records are identical. He shows many of the faults that he showed with the CMNT. He seems to have curious line-ups at times, and certain guys who look like they should play more do not, at the expense of veteran guys. For example, JM Williams has certainly looked second rate, and I think Oxner has probably earned more games now.

It is a bit baffling that only 2 people have voted for him. He is terrible.

5 minutes ago, Ingham said:

It is a bit baffling that only 2 people have voted for him. He is terrible.

I think if the question was "who would you fire" he would get a lot of votes. In reality there are few alternatives and none of the coaches are totally screwing up.

16 hours ago, Lofty said:

This is very accurate. But in the interests of balance, I will make the following points: Valour have at times played some very nice football under Galey's influence. Galey has shown an ability to change up what is not working by going from possession based football to a more direct style which has led to more chances. He also brings a lot of technical know-how, but without the experience he is just now learning how to use it to get the best out of his players. And although Valour finished bottom of the Spring Season, they were one of 4 teams (so more than half!) within 2 points of each other. We need to (and will) give the guy a chance.

He does have a problem up front though. Unless 17-year-old Attardo really steps up, and he has shown that he might, Valour's goal scoring woes are likely to continue. A 33 year old Italian who over his career has averaged 1 goal every 4.8 matches is unlikely to resolve them.

Definitely good points, and why I think we won't see a manager gone, pending a surprise/surprising reason before mid-season two. I think all the managers come with experience and/or backgrounds that show they are capable of self-reflection and improvement.