Match Thread: July 17, 2019 - FC Edmonton v Valour FC

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

My previous line up projections have been about as accurate as Valour's shooting but I am tenacious. The key is to make sure the projection has at least 5 changes from the previous line up because God forbid Valour should ever try for a settled team.

Formation: 4-2-3-1. A defensive formation but with the signing of another holding midfielder I suspect this may be the way forward. There is no reason it cannot be entertaining too. 3-4-2-1 seems to have proven to have little scoring punch but lots of defensive frailty so I'm thinking that experiment gets binned for now.

Goal: Janssens.

Defence R to L: Murrell, Thomas, Mitter, Arguiñarena.

Holding Mid: Ohin, Galán.

Attacking Mid: Gutierrez Zuñiga, Sacramento (Carreiro?), Bustos.

Forward: Attardo (Ferguson?)

Personally, I'd drop Murrell, put Gutierrez at RB, and bring in either Carreiro or Ferguson but I don't see Galey dropping Murrell anytime soon.

I'm all for dropping Murrell and especially if he's being asked to play as a left-footed RB as you predict, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gale squares that circle by starting Murrell at LB and finding a way to play Arguinarena further forward (Gutierrez at RB, Bustos on his off wing).

Edited by jonovision

43 minutes ago, Lofty said:

That looks like a very attacking line up. Is that graphic correct though, regarding formation? Looking at the players, I'd call it a 4-4-2. Which I like. Will be very interesting to see what happens in midfield.

They haven't listed a second keeper on the graphic.  Not sure if it's because we really don't have a backup on the bench or if it's because they don't have a photo for Svyatik Artemenko? No idea why Jansens isn't there.

image.png.afa8cc9a2f2c3debf100ec55e1405e8d.png

22 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I wonder if that means they won't even record it. In other words, no chance to watch it later.

No recording.  The reason they aren't showing it is the camera crews packed up and left about 20 minutes before the game started up

18 hours ago, MrsC said:

So it may have been a sham from the hired crew by MediaPro. 

But I'll say this: if you are getting potentially millions from MediaPro which ensures your future as a club for a decade, why can't you spend a few thousand to set up a proper cabin from which to broadcast from? How is the league requiring its clubs to properly service the demand of streamed games?

Everyone is arguing this is a onesoccer screw-up, which it may be. But the fundamental problem is we have hack ownership groups giving fans and media third-rate conditions, with improper bleachers, no roofs, often shitty concessions, porta-pottties galore, tracks, and otherwise disgraceful conditions to watch the game in on many days. 

One Soccer should simply withhold part of what it is paying CPL until the league can set minimum standards for professionals working games. There is no reason to reward miserly amateurism. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So it may have been a sham from the hired crew by MediaPro. 

But I'll say this: if you are getting potentially millions from MediaPro which ensures your future as a club for a decade, why can't you spend a few thousand to set up a proper cabin from which to broadcast from? How is the league requiring its clubs to properly service the demand of streamed games?

Everyone is arguing this is a onesoccer screw-up, which it may be. But the fundamental problem is we have hack ownership groups giving fans and media third-rate conditions, with improper bleachers, no roofs, often ****** concessions, porta-pottties galore, tracks, and otherwise disgraceful conditions to watch the game in on many days. 

One Soccer should simply withhold part of what it is paying CPL until the league can set minimum standards for professionals working games. There is no reason to reward miserly amateurism. 

It's a fair point to ask why it isn't covered, but I'm not sure I buy the safety claim.  They remained set up for a couple of hours during the storm.  They only started tearing down and packing up as the storm ended.

Some thoughts from the match.

Start with the SoccerOne just to get it out of the way.  Short answer?  Agree with the call.  It was uncertain if the match was going to happen at all but other circumstances required that an extraordinary effort be made to do so, the match was completed, but OneSoccer or anyone else knew if it actually would happen or not.  Simple as that.

Clarke Field.

Like it.  Has great potential.  I know some money has been spent but can't help but feel some more investment wouldn't go a long way into making it an excellent venue.  Decent pitch, great access to parking & public transport.  Good stands.  You're 75% there.

The Crowd

Can't buy a break with the weather.  It was Prairie thunderstorms before the match and if you aren't a Flatlander you won't appreciate what I'm trying to describe.  So no surprise that it was sparse.  I'd guess around 1,500?  Maybe a bit north of that.  Had to have been a tonne of no-shows.

Very diverse crowd, loads of kids, most everybody footie fans and involved.  All very pleasant and getting a kick out of Fury, redhat, and co.  Just say everyone impressed with traveling supports visiting from "out east".

More later about the match.  Going to the pub.

What?  I'm on holiday.

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

It's a fair point to ask why it isn't covered, but I'm not sure I buy the safety claim.  They remained set up for a couple of hours during the storm.  They only started tearing down and packing up as the storm ended.

Fair enough, but they have not said, right out, it was a safety question. They just said weather. Who knows what really happened, it could have just been a hired techie making a bonehead decision and OneS having to live with it. 

They did say that all subscribers would be compensated if they were trying to watch, so I guess they have the stats. Also: there were a hell of a lot of complaints on Twitter, which surprised me in a "good" way, as they may actually have a lot more clients that we might imagine. Or else they are simply more vocal than most.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fair enough, but they have not said, right out, it was a safety question. They just said weather. Who knows what really happened, it could have just been a hired techie making a bonehead decision and OneS having to live with it. 

They did say that all subscribers would be compensated if they were trying to watch, so I guess they have the stats. Also: there were a hell of a lot of complaints on Twitter, which surprised me in a "good" way, as they may actually have a lot more clients that we might imagine. Or else they are simply more vocal than most.

They have been saying it was a safety issue since yesterday afternoon.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:43 AM, Winnipeg Fury said:

Just back from the match, still drying off.

Apparently Janssens was injured, so our PDL goalie was called up for back-up.

Gutierrez and our new Spanish signing were second hand subs.

Second half was end to end and either team could have won it.  A draw was fair, but Valour had their chances.

Wasn't Galvis the sub, not Galan?  That's what they Tweeted out during the game.  Sandor's article also said that Galan was not used.