Top 10 Best Young Players in CanPL

I am taking the initiative and doing this piece. Under 23 (could be born 1995, but they have to have 23 or younger at the moment)

Do you agree with this list? (no order, just the list of players I am choosing for this)

1.      Nico Pasquotti (23)

2.      Noah Verhoeven (20, Pacific)

3.      Tristan Borges (21, Forge FC)

4.      Emilio Estevez (21, York 9)

5.      Kadell Thomas (22, Forge)

6.      Marco Carducci (22, Cavalry)

7.      Akeem Garcia (22, Halifax)

8.      Matthew Baldisimo (21, Pacific)

9.      Kadin Chung (20, Pacific)

10.   Cyrus Rollocks (21, York 9)

1. Marco Carducci (22, Cavalry)

2. Nico Pasquotti (23, Cavalry)

3. Elijah Adekugbe (22, Cavalry)

4. Tristian Borges (20, Forge)

5. Emilio Estevez (21, York9)

6. Noah Verhoeven (20, PFC)

7. Kadin Chung (20, PFC)

8. Terrance Campbell (20,PFC)

9. Louis Belland-Goyette (23,Valour)

10. Peter Schaale (23, HFX)

This would be my top 10 as of today. I think Adekugbe not being on your list is a major snub. 

8 minutes ago, Reign said:

1. Marco Carducci (22, Cavalry)

2. Nico Pasquotti (23, Cavalry)

3. Elijah Adekugbe (22, Cavalry)

4. Tristian Borges (20, Forge)

5. Emilio Estevez (21, York9)

6. Noah Verhoeven (20, PFC)

7. Kadin Chung (20, PFC)

8. Terrance Campbell (20,PFC)

9. Louis Belland-Goyette (23,Valour)

10. Peter Schaale (23, HFX)

This would be my top 10 as of today. I think Adekugbe not being on your list is a major snub. 

Yeah, thanks. I posted this for feedback as I am looking to see what a lot of people will agree with. I am writing a piece on this since nobody has yet.

Someone also said Attardo to me,. but I've seen little of Valour compared to the rest so I'll have to go back and catch up on them!

It would be cool to see a top 23 under 23 by CPL(like MLS.com). I think UNDER 23 so not 23 is a good number. To me that's kinda the max as far as grouping players as "Young" or "Prospects" or however you want to label it. Once your 23 your for the most part a finished product. Generally speaking

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It would be cool to see a top 23 under 23 by CPL(like MLS.com). I think UNDER 23 so not 23 is a good number. To me that's kinda the max as far as grouping players as "Young" or "Prospects" or however you want to label it. Once your 23 your for the most part a finished product. Generally speaking

Meh. Under 23 or 23 and under I don’t think it makes much of a difference. 

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I am trying to find work at CanPL to write topics like that, or OneSoccer. I have asked around but if nothing comes I'll just submit it to other websites like Breaking The Lines who I'm good friends with the owner.

14 minutes ago, Ingham said:

I am trying to find work at CanPL to write topics like that, or OneSoccer. I have asked around but if nothing comes I'll just submit it to other websites like Breaking The Lines who I'm good friends with the owner.

You should.. that would be cool. It's not an exact science so just take a stab at it. It's great exposure for players because I know if I saw a list like that for any random league around the world like that I would be inclined to look thru it. So I'm sure it would circulate

I would throw a player out there. The 17 yr old on Pacific who has played for the Saudi Arabia youth team. He's a slick player

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I'd like to see a CPL "team of the week".

Although the bizarre scheduling means that some teams may not play.

Tough with 7 teams in my opinion. I think the tough part about it is that with so few games you're guaranteed a player who had a horrible game make the list. The bizarre scheduling doesn't help either.

Maybe if we expand to 10 teams, or even 8 then that could work.

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

You should.. that would be cool. It's not an exact science so just take a stab at it. It's great exposure for players because I know if I saw a list like that for any random league around the world like that I would be inclined to look thru it. So I'm sure it would circulate

I know a few people from CanPL and have a good journalistic resume, but still I have a history of getting rejected. So we'll see.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ingham said:

I am taking the initiative and doing this piece. Under 23 (could be born 1995, but they have to have 23 or younger at the moment)

Do you agree with this list? (no order, just the list of players I am choosing for this)

1.      Nico Pasquotti (23)

2.      Noah Verhoeven (20, Pacific)

3.      Tristan Borges (21, Forge FC)

4.      Emilio Estevez (21, York 9)

5.      Kadell Thomas (22, Forge)

6.      Marco Carducci (22, Cavalry)

7.      Akeem Garcia (22, Halifax)

8.      Matthew Baldisimo (21, Pacific)

9.      Kadin Chung (20, Pacific)

10.   Cyrus Rollocks (21, York 9)

I'd choose Terran Campbell over Rollocks, Estevez or Thomas. Perhaps a few others too. I think he has 4 goals and 2 assists now

Edited by Aird25

Simmons age 21 at HFX is mysteriously overlooked. He is Rarely named in the pre game HFX line up predictions written up by the CPL editors yet he has started 12/16 games for them in the key position as DM. His highlights video went on you tube a few weeks back and I think he will be one of the few young players who will be snapped up by a big league club within 1-2 seasons as his technique, passing, intelligence and decision making is on another level, which is not surprising when you look closer at his development background in England and Sweden.

https://youtu.be/9gOIxP-zflY

I think Langwa (am I spelling that right) has to be up there.

Dude has killer speed and is a decent enough footballer. Wasn't he also in the best 11 for Spring season? Can't recall if he plays left back or right back, but either way he's not only a shout out for top young CPL players, but I think needs to be considered for the Olympic team, at least. He's born 1998 iirc.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think Langwa (am I spelling that right) has to be up there.

Dude has killer speed and is a decent enough footballer. Wasn't he also in the best 11 for Spring season? Can't recall if he plays left back or right back, but either way he's not only a shout out for top young CPL players, but I think needs to be considered for the Olympic team, at least. He's born 1998 iirc.

I really don’t like Langwa that much. To me he is over hyped. Sure he looks decent going forward, but he has a lot to be desired defensively. He is very mistake prone. 

This list is making me realize just how many of this league’s core guys are still relatively young professionals. And yet, some of the more highly touted young players coming into the season like Choiniere, Legault, Muenkat, Doe, Bitar, and Hamilton have yet to have a big breakout. We’ve got a lot of kids out there who can play.

Somehow Marco Bustos hasn’t been mentioned yet. Daniel Krutzen has been one of the leagues more impressive defenders too IMO. 

My 10: 

1. Tristan Borges

2. Nico Pasquotti

3. Marco Carducci

4. Peter Schaale

5. Akeem Garcia

6. Marco Bustos

7. Daniel Krutzen

8. Elijah Adekugbe

9. Noah Verhoeven

10. Terrance Campbell

Honourable Mentions : Connor James, Abzi, Estevez, Chung, Gutierrez, Esua, Temguia, LBG Waterman, Aparicio, Gogarty, Simmons, Langwa

34 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

This list is making me realize just how many of this league’s core guys are still relatively young professionals. And yet, some of the more highly touted young players coming into the season like Choiniere, Legault, Muenkat, Doe, Bitar, and Hamilton have yet to have a big breakout. We’ve got a lot of kids out there who can play.

Somehow Marco Bustos hasn’t been mentioned yet. Daniel Krutzen has been one of the leagues more impressive defenders too IMO. 

My 10: 

1. Tristan Borges

2. Nico Pasquotti

3. Marco Carducci

4. Peter Schaale

5. Akeem Garcia

6. Marco Bustos

7. Daniel Krutzen

8. Elijah Adekugbe

9. Noah Verhoeven

10. Terrance Campbell

Honourable Mentions : Connor James, Abzi, Estevez, Chung, Gutierrez, Esua, Temguia, LBG Waterman, Aparicio, Gogarty, Simmons, Langwa

Best list I've seen so far. 

14 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

My 10: 

1. Tristan Borges

2. Nico Pasquotti

3. Marco Carducci

4. Peter Schaale

5. Akeem Garcia

6. Marco Bustos

7. Daniel Krutzen

8. Elijah Adekugbe

9. Noah Verhoeven

10. Terrance Campbell

Yeah this is probably the best list in this thread - although I would swap Garcia and Langwa I think from the Halifax contingent. Simmons should be there too. IMO the Halifax young guys are ranked Schaale -> Langwa -> Simmons -> Garcia. As mentioned earlier, Simmons is massively overlooked. I also disagree with the assessment that Langwa is overhyped. He is young - bound to make mistakes. He reminds me of a young Doneil Henry with TFC, who is currently one of the starting CBs with our national team. Langwa has a ton of raw talent and he has shown strength defensively and offensively. I like Langwa a lot. Hell - here is my hot take. He'll get called up at some point in the next 2-4 years given how little depth Canada has at that position. You heard it here first!

18 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

My 10: 

1. Tristan Borges

2. Nico Pasquotti

3. Marco Carducci

4. Peter Schaale

5. Akeem Garcia

6. Marco Bustos

7. Daniel Krutzen

8. Elijah Adekugbe

9. Noah Verhoeven

10. Terrance Campbell

Bustos is 23.. if your going to include 23 year olds you might as well just make a list of top 10 players in the league. I dont have data in front of me but i would guess at least 60% of the league is either 23 or younger.. so not such an exciting criteria

Edited by SpursFlu

23 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Bustos is 23.. if your going to include 23 year olds you might as well just make a list of top 10 players in the league. I dont have data in front of me but i would guess at least 60% of the league is either 23 or younger.. so not such an exciting criteria

Hey man I didn't make the criteria, just the list.

23 is an interesting age. Some guys are just graduating from college/academies to the professional ranks for the first time, and other guys like bustos have 5 years of professional experience.