The 1998 born striker from Toronto signed with SC Dnipro in the Ukranian Premier League. He was on trial with them and impressed in pre-season, scoring a goal or two I believe. He also used to play in the NCAA for the University of Pennsylvania. Last year he was with Obolon-Brovar in the Ukranian second tier, scoring three times in 19 games. 

He is an interesting prospect to watch, especially with Olympic qualifiers coming up.

Also, credit to @Toje for tracking Kouzine while he was playing in the lower tiers in recent years.

At first I thought this was FC Dnipro which was a really successful club (they made the Europa League final in 2015). Then I started looking them up and saw that they got relegated due to financial shenanigans and are basically done.

Then I saw that Kouzine's club is actually a new club called SC Dnipro-1 that was founded in 2017. They started in the third tier and have won back to back promotions to make it to the top tier, while making the cup semi-finals in each of their first two seasons.

Interesting stuff in Dnipro!

Posted (edited)

What is the quality like in the Ukraine first division ? Obviously they have giants Shakhtar and Dyanmo who are head and shoulders above the rest. More curious on what the average teams are like ? 

Edited by Reign

2 hours ago, Reign said:

Is he only eligible for Canada ?

2 hours ago, Fullback said:

That’s what he said a few months ago 

That's not true at all, he was born in Markham but only lived in Canada for one year before moving away. He still visits family here regularly, but he actually grew up in the US and Russia. He has Ukrainian grandparents (which is how he got in contact with his previous club there), so he is at the very least eligible to play for Ukraine and he presumably has Russian and/or American citizenship as well.

That said, he did indicate in a Reddit AMA that he wants to play for Canada:

It's a great AMA btw, worth the read.

3 minutes ago, Zem said:

That's not true at all, he was born in Markham but only lived in Canada for one year before moving away. He still visits family here regularly, but he actually grew up in the US and Russia. He has Ukrainian grandparents (which is how he got in contact with his previous club there), so he is at the very least eligible to play for Ukraine and he presumably has Russian and/or American citizenship as well.

That is where I got my information from.

"Of course. I think it might be thought that I am just one of these "Canadians" on paper that has some other citizenship that is my primary one but no... Canada is my only nationality,the only country I'm eligible to play for"

2 hours ago, Reign said:

What is the quality like in the Ukraine first division ? Obviously they have giants Shakhtar and Dyanmo who are head and shoulders above the rest. More curious on what the average teams are like ? 

I used to follow quite closely, but not lately. The war in the east has thrown the whole league off kilter. At least three teams don’t play at home and are based elsewhere.  Traditionally strong teams like Dnipro (relegated due to financial fair play penalties and now in the amateur leagues) and Metalist Kharkiv are in turmoil. For some reason teams that should be strong like Chornomorers Odessa and Karpaty Lviv can never get their act together. Karpaty is a real mystery - they have a great stadium and great fans, but are always garbage.  The league has contracted down to 12 teams (I think they used to have 16) to create more parity. There is at least one club folding or merging every year it seems. From a quality perspective, Dynamo and Shakhtar buy up pretty much every quality young player in the country and then loan them out. They dominate the league in a way the Celtic and Rangers do, so the comparison is apt. On a whole, I would rate the Ukrainian league above Scotland and Shakhtar and Dynamo are certainly better than Celtic and Rangers have been lately. Ukraine also continues to have excellent youth teams and Shakhtar and Dynamo (in particular) are starting to play more young Ukrainians and less Brazilian imports. At the recent U20 world cup, Konoplia and Buletsa were outstanding and are ones to watch. Sorry for the Ukrainian soccer blather. 

1 hour ago, Zem said:

When asked if he would consider playing for the national team he said “Absolutely! I would play for Canada's national team even if I was given the chance with U23/Olympics!”