Sign in to follow this  
Gian-Luca

U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

5 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Do they play for Toronto FC, Montreal Impact or Vancouver Whitecaps?  Okay, then there's the reason why they weren't called.  Too many politics but to be fair this core group did do fairly well in qualifying for the tournament.  I also think that Ralph, Jacen & Jayden have all played for TFC II this year.

Before anyone gets upset, no I do not agree that all the players come from the three Canadian MLS academies minus Kouadio.

Well that's the thing, Colyn does "play" for Vancouver.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I know it's not that simple but take it a step further.. no player with professional minutes made the team: kid at Forge, Colyn, Pebble and the kid at Ottawa.

So a total of 4 kids in this u17 age group with pro experience and not one makes it.

Just wait until we see TFCII suit up for Olympic qualifying...

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Well that's the thing, Colyn does "play" for Vancouver.

Yea there is something odd about that one.  I know he wasn't great in qualifying but still surprising omission.  My statement was mor ein general to eligible Canadians playing in CPL and abroad.

8 hours ago, SpecialK said:

No - Colyn , Dunning, Commisso - interesting. Also Dunfield is coaching with them. 

To be fair, Dunning was extremely underwhelming in qualifiers.

I do wonder how no players were called up outside of mls academies. Lazy scouting or just doing "favours"

14 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

To be fair, Dunning was extremely underwhelming in qualifiers.

I do wonder how no players were called up outside of mls academies. Lazy scouting or just doing "favours"

I think it’s both lazy and doing favours 

10 hours ago, Ruffian said:

According to this article https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/18/mls-academy-prospects-dominate-canada-name-roster-u-17-world-cup-brazil All 3 group stage games will be broadcast on TSN and RDS, Oct. 26 being the first game.

It's part of TSN's FIFA rights package. Expect to see almost every match on tv or tsn.ca which was the case for u20 WC earlier this year.

David got on the U-17 with no MLS affiliation.  So if you really are good you dont have to be in a MLS academy.  But I imagine no time/cash/effort plays a part in the high % of MLS kids on these teams.  3 visits and they have 90% of the roster filled in.  

I **** on TSN alot but kudos to covering the youth tournies.  Hopefully we can make a good showing and some of the senior side excitement will get TSN some viewers.   

To be fair Toronto FC academies have been very good the past few years.  Multiple age groups were quite successful in the Dallas Cup/GA Cup this year.  A few finalists and a few winners as well, including the U16s.

Brasil rolled the US 4-1 today. So, knowing what AO has done with lineups in qualifying, he might view the Brasil match as a throwaway and therefore go with B lineup.

Edited by red card

Hey all,

First post but just wanted to preface by saying I'm a long time footy fan but in general I've found it hard to really get into North American leagues aside from NT games. With the culture really starting to shift in a big way at the grassroots level (IMO) in Canada toward a higher level of soccer (politics aside) and the implementation of the CPL I would really like to start paying more attention to the Canadian talents and leagues. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming u17 WC and any info on some of these players (or who the standouts for Canada could be) would be awesome.

As far as the tournament goes the Netherlands and France are very stacked; the Netherlands in particular carrying almost the same roster they had for a very dominant u17 Euro earlier this year. Not sure about the south american teams too much but Brazil in particular has a very exciting young attack with Magno specifically looking very talented.

Anyone with better knowledge of the team than me have an idea who the key players for Canada will be at this tournament? I've seen/read good things about Kamron Habibullah and he seems pretty talented, but I don't know too much about the others.

1 hour ago, Spero14 said:

Anyone with better knowledge of the team than me have an idea who the key players for Canada will be at this tournament? I've seen/read good things about Kamron Habibullah and he seems pretty talented, but I don't know too much about the others.

Jayden Nelson & Jacen Russell-Rowe are a couple nice attackers.  A couple top players are apparently injured as well.