Calgary for MLS?

On 7/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, Club Linesman said:

Haven’t seen that but he was interviewed on TSN in the last couple years and was asked point blank (by Wileman I believe) if there would be another Canadian teamand he said something to the effect of never, we will only have these three markets. Remember thinking it was pretty ballsy to be so  blatant about it on a Canadian soccer broadcast.  I guess if someone wanted to give them a billion Cdn dollars MLS would have to consider it but it won’t happen so there will be no more Canadian MLS teams.

Vic Rauter.

On 7/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, SpursFlu said:

30 teams? Is that it? 

I see them going past that.

Regarding the rumour itself: 

• Can Calgary support a MLS team? Probably
  • Would MLS want to enter Calgary? Maybe
  • Would the objective be to destroy the CPL by taking one of its strong markets akin to the strategy utilized a handful of times against the NASL? Maybe if TFC and/or the Caps/Impact are lobbying for it.
  • Can Cavalry (like other clubs in big CPL markets) organically grow into obtaining support akin to an MLS club? Over the long term, I believe so
  • Most importantly, will the CSA allow it? Probably not

As tantalizing of a prospect this is, it would be really short sighted for the CSA to back this at the expense of growing the CPL if talks of MLS expansion in Calgary ever get serious

Edited by Macksam

7 hours ago, Macksam said:

As tantalizing of a prospect this is, it would be really short sighted for the CSA to back this at the expense of growing the CPL if talks of MLS expansion in Calgary ever get serious

I wonder if there'd be a potential court case if the CSA disallowed it.  ie. "You've already said that the three existing Can-MLS teams are an 'exceptional circumstance' so you're hurting our business by treating us differently and denying us the same privilege"

9 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I wonder if there'd be a potential court case if the CSA disallowed it.  ie. "You've already said that the three existing Can-MLS teams are an 'exceptional circumstance' so you're hurting our business by treating us differently and denying us the same privilege"

That is a consideration. I’m sure our court system would side favourably to the MLS bid if they were accepted and the CSA denied sanctioning.